Discussion thread for the "Polls only" thread (Part 3)

Yes, that bill – and the very long debate in a Pit thread about it – is undoubtedly what spawned the poll question.

(And, yes, IMO, while there are good reasons, from an emergency communications standpoint, to not kill off AM radios, it seems like that at least some of the support is being driven by those who support things like right-wing talk and religious broadcasts, which are common on AM.)

So much for letting the free market decide.

ETA: I’m not actually against the bill. I honestly don’t know all the pros and cons. (I like to listen to a baseball game now and then on the radio while driving. Other sports are not as radio-friendly)

Oh, absolutely! And while i don’t think we should be actively killing off AM radio, I’m dubious that requiring it in all new cars is worth legislating.

In my youth the New York teams were on AM. Now they are on FM. Or I listen on Sirius.

I had to look up the number of my congressional district (CA-36), but interestingly when I googled, they said my zip code could mean two different districts. Which makes sense because I had Maxine Waters as my congressperson for ages, then, Ted Lieu, then, back to Maxine, and now with Ted again. My district must have floating boundaries because I haven’t moved in over 40 years.

ETA: I occasionally get mail pieces from Maxine’s office, so maybe they’re confused, too.

Now the results are at 60% Fall, 40% Autumn – which is about the same proportion I use these alternatives. (I voted “Fall,” but with some reluctance).

I tend to use Autumn as an adjective and Fall as a noun.

Now that you mention it, so do I (usually).

Autumnal withdraws to a dark corner, weeping

The Autumnal equinox only happens once a year. Autumn breezes last all of Fall.

Yes. Fallal just sounds silly.

I’ve never taken or taught a class during the “Autumn Semester”.

Either autumn or fall.

And I care a small amount about several sports, but not a lot about any of them.

I think it’s 100% “autumn” for everybody who doesn’t use North American English and only majority “fall” for those who do.

True, but Fall in that case could (arguably) be considered an “attributive noun,” as in “chicken soup.”

I was about 6, 7 years old the last time I saw MASH, but I remember pretending to be Hawkeye with my school uniform (in Argentina public school uniforms resemble little white lab coats), I don’t remember any other character so I choose Hawkeye :smiley:

Fun fact: Sidney Freedman was played by Diane Arbus’ ex-husband. Yes, that Diane Arbus.

Hmm, that sounds mostly right. I think i use “fall” more often, in general.

I did not know that. Cool! Especially since he was one of my favorite characters on the show.

I prefer Fall. Otherwise, the “Spring forward Fall back” saying won’t work.

I thought it was “Spring back, fall forward??” :zany_face:

Yeah, I am looking forward to some real fall weather. We have had maybe a week of fall, but summer is hanging on here in SoCal.