Believe it or not, I’ve never seen an episode of MASH.
Sad to see there are so few fellow Frankophiles. Frank Burns was one of the few despicable characters on TV at the time to avoid being Archie Bunkered into a nice guy (in clear contrast to Hot Lips and Charles).
He was so excellently played by Larry Linville that it wound up typecasting the actor. Frank was a terrible person, but he was fun to watch, in the context of the tone of the early seasons.
I watched MASH religiously when I was a kid and teenager, and it was probably one of my favorite shows back then, but it was absolutely a different show in the Frank years, and much funnier (even if some of that humor hasn’t aged well in the intervening 50 years). The later years knocked most of the hard edges off of the characters, and it definitely became preachier.
Frank Burns fan checking in.
Peak Frank: The episode where the gang is traveling by bus and gets lost. Frank captures an enemy soldier, hordes chocolate, and hilariously uses a walkie talkie in an effort to summon aid.
mmm
Content not viewable.
It’s a tweet.
Someone asked me if I was ready for the fall and it took me a second to realize they meant autumn and not the total collapse of society.
Tell me about it! And it’s supposed to be 90F next week. Haaaaaaaaaaaate.
Whoever that may be.
No idea on district number or congressman’s name (either senatorial or representative).
“Sherman Potter”? I thought his name was Colonel Potter.
He, Margaret, BJ and Charles are my favourites.
I think the only time I say “autumn” is when I’m talking about autumn leaves (but not fall foliage).
I used to listen to my car radio on the way to/from work. I have two buttons set – the local country and classical station, and they were used about equally. (Used to have an oldies station, but it changed to modern rock a few years before I retired.
) Now I’m retired I usually only listen to the radio when a cat walks across my clock radio and steps on the button to turn it on.
AM radio? Decades ago. Do I know how to tune one? Of course – the same way I find FM stations using the dial or the “next” button.
Lady SCAdian uses Waze, even when she’s driving to places we’ve been to hundreds of time, I use Google maps when plotting a long and/or complicated trip (such as when I drove out to Michigan and Illinois for my high school reunions a few years ago). I then write directions on a 3x5 card. I’ve never seen anything about traffic on Google maps.
Australian rules football is the only team sport that I have any interest in, and it’s been 40+ years since I actually watched a game.
At least in the US, she’s considered among the most famous photographers — such that Lisa Simpson (for example) references her in an offhand comment about some random snapshot.
Stanley Kubrick modeled a shot of the little girls in The Shining on a famous Diane Arbus photo.
Ah. I’ve seen the picture of the twins, but never paid attention to the photographer’s name.
Of course, “The Simpsons” would never make an obscure reference.
Diane Arbus is about as obscure as Andy Warhol, Tom Wolfe, or Twiggy.
Could be. The name meant/means nothing to me, and I am unfamiliar with the photo of the twins, whereas I have heard of the other three people you mentioned and could give you at least basic information about each of them (for example, Andy Warhol is a bridge in Pittsburgh…:)). So, it depends.
The older I get, the more I realize that knowledge of celebrity people is awfully siloed and depends very much on the experiences and interests of the person being asked.
Also, I thought I was reading about someone named “Diane Airbus” at first…“Now there’s a name!” I said to myself.
![]()
This is my primary use case for GMaps… to check out traffic before I leave. “Do I take 1604 or the Hausman/UTSA route to get to Costco?”, stuff like that.
The actual directions, no, I don’t need those. But the traffic info is critical.
I use either fall or autumn indifferently. It’s random which one I’ll use. I think I answered “fall,” but it could have been either.
“Autumn” seems slightly more formal to me. In casual conversation I’ll usually use “fall” but in some written contexts, or if there’s ambiguity with the verb “fall”, I’ll use “autumn”.
“Mary fell and broke her leg, and in the fall she got new crutches.”
It’s a layer that can be turned on. If you’re doing live navigation, it’ll show traffic, as well.
If you’re navigating it will audibly warn you of traffic delays (“There’s a 12 minute delay in 5 miles”), and will direct you to a faster route if possible.