Discussion thread for the "Polls only" thread (Part 3)

“I don’t care whether you believe in third grade or not, you still have to go to school!”

Third grade was just a conspiracy of educators.

“But mom, I’m the principal!”

@LavenderMagnolia , you may wish to fix your poll ASAP…

To clarify, the poll does not let you choose more than one option.

Thank you! Yes, that was a mistake.

I’m not on Instagram but my wife is and she sends me endless links to things she finds funny (mostly cat-related), which I watch on Safari. I counted that as “don’t use”.

I used to be on Facebook but forgot my password years ago and don’t miss it.

I have to qualify my answers.

Reddit: I don’t really like the format, though I don’t mind the content, and I used to look at the occasional discussion. Now, though, you have to get the app in order to read on a phone, so not happening.

YouTube: I just hate videos, as a rule. I won’t watch them by myself. I do watch things on youtube with Mr. Mallard, and enjoy them, so I guess that counts, but left to my own devices I wouldn’t bother.

I occasionally read Reddit on my phone and tablets without any apps.

I never had anything to do with Snapchat, Instagram or TikTok.

If I watch You Tube it needs to be a reasonably longer, coherent video and not a short.

Ditto on all counts.

I’m not entirely sure what Reddit is. I’ve never used it. I like Instagram, but don’t use Facebook or snapchat, etc. Youtube is just for when I need help figuring out how to change a lawnmower blade or something like that. I’ve never watched a youtube video as entertainment.

6 years old, about 2 weeks before Xmas, was examining the family globe, and the North Pole specifically… I suddenly realized that, with no dry land there, that any structure, and certainly a stone castle, would eventually sink through the ice, ergo Santa couldn’t exist.

I rushed down and detailed my chain of reasoning to my shocked parents. For the sake of my baby sister I went thru the motions for a few more years.

My parents were always adamant that there was no Santa, and I never believed in Santa.

I think a mass crisis with multiple senators/reps not being seated is only somewhat likely to happen. But it’s very likely to happen in at least one or two races.

I don’t remember exactly when I stopped believing in Santa Claus - it was more of a gradual thing (I think). I do remember my mother telling my little sister the truth, but why there was an actual conversation with her I don’t know. My sister was a little upset at the news, so, fulfilling my sworn duty as a big brother, I egged her on by informing her that the news also applied to the Easter Bunny. :slight_smile:

The only social media that I signed up for is Nextdoor, which I thought was different and much more local, but it’s not. I mostly just delete their email notifications.

I don’t use any of the ones in the poll.

Except- I don’t know the difference about Youtube watching. If I search for say, how to replace the alternator on my truck, I have no idea if the one I watch is traditional or not. Frequently that stuff is on something besides Youtube.

Same with Reddit - I’m not going to create an account with them, but sometimes a search will lead me to a Reddit thread about something I’m interested in, and I never just go to Reddit and look around.

I am definitely not a “semiconductor engineer” and don’t understand what the heck the poll/question is talking about.

Facebook - I “quit” some years ago, which really means I dumped most of my friends and took my account private. The thing is, I run a couple of town committees, and my town tends to do a lot of public facing stuff through Facebook, so now I am a lurker. I did post a thank you to someone within the last year, but that’s been about it.

I am on Reddit most days at least once.

Two different people in the last year have asked me to follow them on Instagram, so I signed up recently, finally, and did that. I now follow two people on Instagram, but it feeds me such a potpourri of shit that I don’t really like to go out there very often.

I am a YouTube premium member and watch all the stuff. I am also on an app not in the poll, Bluesky.

I have never used a Snapchat or TikTok.

Mostly the same, except i “quit” Facebook by just not going there anymore. I open Facebook about once a year, when a friend tells me there’s an obituary i want to read. And that’s pretty much it. The last few times I’ve done that have reminded me why i quit.

I’m never “on” Reddit, but i get pointed to posts there pretty frequently. (Same for bluesky)

I’m also a premium YouTube subscriber, and watch it a lot. I watch both long form and shorts. At some point, i realized i was spending more time with YouTube than any other streaming service (like Netflix) and decided it was worth paying for. Also, one of the YouTube content creators i follow said he gets paid more for YouTube subscriber views than for viewers who get ads. That maybe pushed me over the line.

This is how we chose to raise Wee Weasel. I wouldn’t say we were adamant but any time he asked us if Santa was real, we said no. I’m not going to lie to my kid for any reason. He has a hard enough time understanding these sorts of things. We told him it was a nice story kids like.

I did believe in Santa until I was about seven. I remember that year I set up a little test, leaving cookies for Santa that were vanilla and chocolate. My Mom loved chocolate, so I reasoned if all the chocolate ones were eaten, it meant Santa was Mom. (Admit my logic wasn’t exactly foolproof.)

But all the cookies were gone in the morning. And that year I got an enormous Barbie dream house we never could have afforded, which further confused me. So, I just asked. And she answered truthfully. The dream house was donated by a friend. The friend helped her set it up that night and also ate the cookies.

I can’t say I was devastated, but probably a shade disappointed.

I don’t think I own anything I wouldn’t sell for a ton of cash. But for some things it would have to be a lot of money. I’m very attached to my dining room table. I have loved it from the beginning. It is an Amish custom-made cherry wood table with six matching chairs that we splurged on after a big windfall. I love it almost to the point that I even love it for its flaws. The little bit of finish that got rubbed off by the movers when we moved here. The micro scratches my son has engraved into it with various pointy objects despite the million times I have said to him, “Don’t do that. It will damage the table.” It’s technically still under warranty - we could have it touched up for free - but It’s becoming a thing of memories. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to part with it, exactly as it is.

Same here. We have many things we love in our home, but nothing that’s irreplaceable with enough money. But it would take a lot of money for us to part with them.

By “traditional”, I mean videos that are not vertical “YouTube Short” videos. “Traditional” videos are generally horizontal and longer than two minutes (not sure how long a Short can be now). Shorts were created as competition for TikTok. Same with Reels on Instagram and Facebook.