Disenchantment: New Matt Groening animated series coming to Netflix

It’ll be a “medieval animated adult fantasy” called Disenchantment.

Damn, I don’t get Netflix. I might have to subscribe just for this, but I’ll wait for the first reviews.

I remember being skeptical about Futurama when it was first promoted. I was very happy to be proved wrong.

Variety says it won’t be out until next year, so plenty of time before you subscribe.

Bite my dull pewter ass?

Hope it is great, I look forward to seeing it.

Wow, I have no memory of starting this thread last year.

I’m seeing some initial mixed reviews of this series. Has anyone seen any of it, or is it still to be released?

Perfect timing, release date is this Friday.

I remember being luke warm to Futurama when it first started and even skipping it for a while. Then I went back and started watching it again and it clicked to where I prefer it (as a whole) over the Simpsons. Even the episodes I was originally “eh” about, I like. So I guess I’ll have to give this a chance even if it has a rocky start.

I’m trying to temper my expectations, but it’s been a long time since I was so eagerly anticipating a new series.

Futurama is one of my favorite shows of all time, but a lot of its genius was in its never-ending firehose of scifi/science/math/etc puns and sight gags. As much as I love the genre, I’m not sure the well is quite as deep when it comes to a fantasy sendup.

There’s a trailer.

Is that Rebel, Rebel in the background?

Oh wow, I concur! Given Futurama Theme precedent, I don’t think producers will mind a long internet debate about this though :smiley:

I hope this can be proven wrong.

Oglaf already uses this exact premise. Except it’s x-rated.

What’s Groening up too?

An obscure comic is doing something that the Dragon did since the 70s. Wow. Then there was also Groo, but you think Oglaf (whatever that crap is) has exclusive rights or something? Before all of these was National Lampoon’s Bored of the Ring. Does any of that matter for as far as an animated TV show goes? What’s up with aceplace57?

Hopefully that made as little sense as your post to illustrate a point.

We’ve had an ongoing Oglaf thread here in Cafe for several years.

It’s a very popular web comic written by Trudy Cooper, a very talented Australian lady.

There’s room for other medieval comics. But the description in the OP screamed Oglaf to me.

Anything Groening does is successful. This will probably be a smash hit for him

I’ll check it out.

Hmmm . . . I might check this too.

I was a Simpsons fan long ago, but then things like college, marriage, and kids kinda had me watching it less.

I guess Groening should check with us before starting a new project.

Yep, this is me too. I remember being against Futurama because it was trying too hard to be as good as The Simpsons, but it found its groove quickly, and I understood that groove, before the first season was done. I am expecting the same for Disenchanted.

Oglaf is fun but it’s not so much a “fantasy world comic” so much as “absurdist sex humor in a fantasy world”. It would work equally well (with a few minor tweaks) in a science-fiction universe or even a modern superhero-esque milieu where the magic effects wouldn’t be questioned or could be waved off as mutations, etc. Point being, it doesn’t really mine most of its humor from the fantasy aspect so much as general weirdness and absurdity. My impression is that Disenchanted will be more about the setting, just as Futurama revolved heavily around Fry learning about the future world and large amount of science-related humor.

But even if you totally disagree with that and want to say they’re both the same… eh, who cares? More funny stuff is more funny stuff and I’m not about to worry that there’s a webcomic I like that’s kinda-sorta like a television show I like.

“adult”, in this case, does not mean what it means in the Oglaf context, I’m sure. There’ll be farting and maybe dick jokes, not felching and skies made of angry dicks.