Do frozen potatoes in soup turn to mush?

I’m craving some “loaded potato soup”. But I’m also feeling lazy.

Instead of cutting up a bunch of potatoes I was thinking about just getting a bag of frozen (cubed) hash browns.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks.

My money is on mush, you have to try it and let us know if it works.

I’d say bake them (crispy) in the oven first and throw them in towards the end of the rest of the soup.

A lot of frozen hash browned potatoes are either par-cooked or oiled or both. It may work ok for your recipe but it would be good to know ahead of time.

Buy a bag of ready made gnocchi and fry them to golden crispness and use them as dumplings in any soup at all.

I’d use boxed instant mashed potatoes as your base. Add chicken broth, milk, cream, butter, cheese, bacon, green onions, etc.

I often use frozen potatoes in stew, which stays in the Instant Pot just as long as soup. But I don’t use hash browns. I use small whole frozen potatoes like these. I believe hash browns would turn to mush. Look for a similar product in your store.

H‑E‑B Frozen Baby Potatoes

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/5183546?shoppingStore=425&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=ownbrand&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAxaCvBhBaEiwAvsLmWDo0Iu1BTGt-Cf4EAYYxNxd0GR_Ch5VBaenVAIXtFzcvOGlgbxHyJxoCgNAQAvD_BwE

Hope the link works. I’m on my phone.

Really depends on the type of potato I think.

Russet potatoes will turn to mush in soup, frozen or not. Red/white potatoes (what they call “waxy” potatoes) will generally stay intact. Not sure what frozen waxy potatoes do though. f

Thanks for the input guys.

I was too nervous to go with frozen. So I bought real potatoes. Then I also ordered a vegetable slicer that supposedly dices the whole thing in one move.

Here’s to open it works.

I say, if they do turn into mush, more power to ‘em! I like my potato soup thick and creamy, and that would save me the trouble of bothering with an immersion blender or a food mill. Dice a couple of fresh potatoes by hand, so there’ll be SOME chunky bits.