Do people really put mayo on Philly cheese steak sandwiches?

The first time I went to a Subway was when I realized cheese steak was not a universally known sub. To me growing up, if you wanted a sub you got a cheesesteak or a cold cut. I asked for one there and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. That and the weird ordering process turned me off the place for good.

I put mayo or nothing on it. Never ketchup.

I grew up just outside of Philly, and a lot of people did this (sometimes even me). Cheesesteaks were just like cheeseburgers to us (no mustard though, that’s for hot dogs).

A family member who will go nameless puts mayo on almost everything:

Corn on the cob
Barbecue
Fresh tomatoes
Watermelon
the list goes on and on.

It’s easier to make a list of what mayo doesn’t go on for this person.

Likewise, though not with the same person,

Tabasco
Ketchup (or catsup)
Yellow mustard
Dijon
Tartar sauce
Ranch dressing
Karo syrup (no lie!)
again the list is practically endless

Yes, mayo is pretty much required on my cheese-steak.

According to the son of the founder of Pat’s Cheez Whiz was the first cheese they used because their observant Jewish customers wouldn’t eat a steak sandwich if cheese had been melted on the same griddle.

NPR interview

Just drink the fucking mayonnaise.
/Oblig.

Not quite the same, but spooning it out of the jar is not all that rare.

First trip to New Orleans, I saw a big sign that said ‘Blue Plate’. I assumed it was a restaurant. My friend said it was the Blue Plate mayonnaise factory. I laughed at my mistake and said, ‘Yeah, I’ll have the mayonnaise plate.’ Another friend said, ‘And can you put some gravy on that?’

In my experience, mayo on sliced tomatoes isn’t that unusual, and it is pretty common to serve mayo and cotija cheese on corn in Mexico.

Watermelon, though?

Yeah. Pretty hard-core. Probably no worse gastronomically than salt.

Be like putting whipped cream on a filet mignon, though.

THIS is why we need trigger warnings.

Oh – While I do put mayonnaise on hot pastrami sandwiches (or did, since it seems the last many time I’ve had them I didn’t put any on), I don’t put it on cheese steak sandwiches.

Salt on watermelon is good.

Yeah, it’s okay. Used to use salt quite a bit. Pepper on cantaloupe is more often the trick nowadays.

Or pepper on strawberries! Mayo on watermelon is just plain weird. I can understand mayo on the other stuff, though.

:confused: They ask you what kind of sandwich you want, what condiments to put on it, and if you want a combo. What’s odd about that? That they do it in front of you? It’s not like the Soup Nazi runs it.

Pepper, and balsamic vinegar!

I have no doubt that the sandwich on a Subway menu which is labeled a “Philly cheesesteak” is often eaten with mayonnaise. Which is wholly irrelevant to the actual cheesesteak sandwich found in Philadelphia.

There are 2 different things being talked about here. A cheese steak sandwich and a cheese steak hoagie(aka sub). A cheese steak sandwich describes something with bread, meat, cheese and maybe hot peppers or fried onions and ketchup is a more common condiment. A cheese steak hoagie has lettuce onion, tomato, and usually has mayonnaise as a condiment. There is a little variation here and there, but those are the basic differences. The terms are easily confused and often used interchangeably. Some of the most famous places only sell sandwiches; for example Geno’s or Jim’s, but cheese steak hoagies are also very common anywhere I have been.

For me, a cheesesteak has meat, grilled or fried onions, and cheese. That is it. Mr. Raventhief asks for lettuce, tomato, and yes mayo. That’s simply terrible in my eyes. His son will dip chicken nuggets in mayo. Which is even worst.