Do you wear a watch?

I hate wristwatches. I used to carry a pocket watch, and I have quite a collection of them, but these days my constant companion clock is my cell phone.

I wear a watch whenever I’m out and about. (Couldn’t think of a shorter way to phrase it).

I take my watch off while I’m at home. I wear a watch whenever I got out. However, while I’m working I usually take my watch off, as I type alot (medical dictation and transcription and working a lot on the computer). However, I almost always put the watch on when I get up from my desk (coffee breaks, lunch or if I’ll be away from my desk for more than five minutes), as I like to be able to tell what time it is.

I can’t wear watches anymore. When I was younger (high school into college), I wore a watch religiously, except when I was asleep or bathing. But that was in the days of wind-up watches, which were very reliable and required no batteries.

Sometime during college, someone gave me a battery-powered analog watch. I wore it for a while, but I kept breaking out in a rash on my wrist. Within a year, the battery died, and in those days, it was an expensive pain to replace watch batteries. I did it one time, but when that battery died a couple of months later, I threw out the watch.

I have tried wristwatches on and off for the 20 years since then, but they tend to give me an itchy rash and die within months. I did use pendant watches (which I hung on beltloops), but they didn’t last long either.

I have determined that I am allergic to battery powered watches, digital or analog. Since you can’t buy wind-up watches for less than $200, I just don’t wear a watch anymore.

I can’t say I really miss it, though. I’m usually near a computer at work, and I have wall clocks in every room of our house. I’ve also developed an extremely good sense of time, so I generally know what time it is within about ten minutes at any time of the day.

Are you just allergic to cheap(er) metals in general?

My mother gets “contact dermatitis” - skin rashes from contact with metal (watches, jewellery, even snaps on her clothing). She has to get eyeglass frames made from titanium, and cannot wear jewellery that is made from an alloy, or gold that is 14 karat or less.

I usually don’t wear a watch. I own one, but I’m not a fan of it. I want to get either this, this, this, or this.

Remember, Airline Policy in the event of a Watch is to deny ownership- it’s always A Watch or The Watch, never Your Watch… :smiley:

The First Rule of Watch Club is: You Do Not Talk About Watch Club…

I haven’t worn one in almost ten years. I hated having a watch tan, and it occurred to me that there are clocks almost everywhere you go. Since everyone is carrying cell phones these days, I think they’re less necessary now than they were back then.

I wear a watch, except when I’m asleep or in the shower. I work in radio, and I must know exactly what time it is, all the time. I set my watch by the station’s master clock about once a month. It doesn’t drift more than a couple of seconds in that span, but it has to be right.

Since 5th grade i’ve worn the Casio Databank

http://www.princetonwatches.com/images/watches/DBC-310-1.jpg

That is the 300-page memory model. Back when i was only 11 or 12 i saved for several months before i could buy the $75 100-page. Several batteries and bands later, i still have it

I’ve worn one every day for as long as I can remember. If I’m out of the house, I’m wearing a watch – and if I’m at the beach, or in the sun specifically to get some color, my watch is nearby. I don’t need to know what time it is all of the time, but when I want to know I do get uncomfortable if I can’t find out right away. And yes, I have a cell phone, PDA, iPod, and computer at work, all of which display the time (even our desk phones display the time and date), but I can’t count on having any of them with me while I’m in a meeting, talking with someone in their office, having lunch, etc. It’s just easier – and a major habit – to wear a watch.

When I’m home, though, I don’t wear one (I don’t wear any jewelry at home, actually). I have way too many clocks around the house, so there’s always one nearby for me to glance at.

I used to have a bunch of watches, but now I just have 5: a silver everyday Timex, a silver and gold everyday Timex, a black Beatles watch, and two dress watches. In a few more months I’ll be getting #6, as it will be my five-year anniversary at work and they give out watches for that. I’ve known for a year what I’m going to ask for: a MINI Motion watch. I don’t and probably never will own a MINI, but I came across this watch while browsing the MoMa online store one day and I just love it! Three more months… :slight_smile:

Only at work and I keep a spare in my locker in case I forget to strap one on, and I’m as likely to forget my watch as I am to forget my keys—not too likely.
Being without a watch at work sucks mightily.
I wear a watch 3 days a week.

Watches speed up and die on me, so I don’t wear one. I generally have a very good sense of time. Not wearing a watch and my sister will ask me what time it is - I’m generally within 10 minutes of the actual time. I have carried pocket watches and when I had one wristwatch I glued felt to the back of the watch so it didn’t touch my skin.

It’s funny, because I’m rather obsessive about time - on drives that I make regularly, like to work, I know how long it takes to get to each point in the drive. It should take 4 minutes to get to the big road near my house. To the first light it should take 11 minutes. To the intersection where Sam’s Club is is 18 inutes. Moving on to the exit where I used to live is 30 minutes. And it drives me crazy if I’m not on schedule. I’m always aware of how long I’ve been driving and how much longer it should take to my destination.

StG

I have gone through periods in my life where I wear a watch for a few months, but inevitably I get sick of it and stop wearing one. I have clocks in every room of my house, a clock in the car, and pretty much unless I’m in the water, I have my cell phone on me. I look at my cell phone all the time to see what time it is, and don’t consider it a bother to do so.

No clock. Cell phone.

I only wear one when I’m taking buses places and need to know how much time until the next one.

I wore my watch to work the other day and the battery died just before the afternoon break. I bet I hadn’t worn it more than a handful of times in the three or four years I’ve owned it.

My mom swears I learnt how to tell time before I could walk or talk, simply because I love watches. I feel completely naked without one, and the only time I take mine off is when I’m sleeping, or in the shower, or inflagrante.

The first paycheck I ever got, I bought a $100 Swatch Chrono.
Long before I could afford one (I was 24), I bought a mens steel Cartier Panthere off my cousin for a song ($600), realized it didn’t suit me at all, and sold it about 12 months later for about $1200 (Bwahaha). With the money I made, I bought this bitchin little Titanium Tissot T-touch that I absolutely adore for about $700.
If I could afford one right now, I’d buy the Tag Heuer Kirium.

I agree with some of the posts - with cellphones becoming as ubiquitous as they have, you dont really need a watch anymore, but I cant imagine being without one. To me, it’s a reflection (albeit superficial) of self.

yes,

tsfr

I often wear a watch, somewhere between a substantial minority and a small majority of the time. My current watch is a largish digital watch I bought at the Schiphol Airport duty-free store for 12 euro on my way to Spain.

I usually wear a $25 wristwatch that I bought at Target a while back. Used to have a really nice gold-faced watch that my dad gave me with a couple of jewels set in the face at the 12 o’clock position (which is about the fanciest thing I could ever stand wearing), but the quartz movement on it apparantly broke, and I haven’t had the money to get it replaced yet.

I used to wear pocket watches, but I’m hard on pocket watch chains, which tend to snag on things I walk past, such as doorknobs and lecture hall desks. Plus, it’s hard to look at a pocket watch in a subtle fashion, especially during class or church, since they tend to open and close with an audible “click”.

Still, I would LOVE to have a musical pocket watch, like the one from Noir, or failing that, one that plays either the tune from Clair De Lune or the tune from the dance hall scene in one of the movie versions of Romeo and Juliet (I can’t, for the life of me, remember when the movie was made or who was in it, but my sister used to have a little musical wind-up bird-cage thing that played the tune)

That said, I would like to suggest the theory that cell phones are the pocket watches of the 21st century. idly awaits the day when someone designs a cell phone that straps to your wrist