Do you wear a watch?

I would like to wear a watch (there’s some snazzy - and expensive - watches out there). I can drool over watch catalogs.

But when it comes time to pony up the dough, I realize that I have a pager that goes with me everywhere. And usually a Palm. Both of these have the time, so I don’t need a watch.

Watches to me are nice pieces of jewelry that get replaced about every three years after just about daily wearing.

[hijack]I’ve always questioned watch-wearers in my head. I’m a lefty and wear my watch on my right wrist. This way it doesn’t interfere with my handwriting. I’ve seen lots of people who wear their watch on their dominant hand. Doesn’t this create at least an extra bit of sloppiness in the appearance of your handwriting? [/hijack]

That’s my feeling, though I don’t replace my watches; just swap them out every few days if I remember to.

I’m predominantly right-handed, but I wear my watch on my right wrist. My dad was left-handed, so I wore my watch on the right (I still have that watch). I went through a period where I didn’t wear a watch, and when I started again I wore it on my left. Then another non-watch period, and it would migrate to one wrist or the other depending upon which hand I picked it up with. Now it’s settled on the right. It doesn’t interfere with my writing.

When I was working at a TV station, I did wear a watch, and kept it synched to the atomic clock. When the schedule said we were to cut back to network (by manually pressing a button) at 8:04, by gum, we cut back at 8:04:00.

Now, I don’t need split-second accuracy in my daily life. The time display on the cell phone is enough, as is the time shown on everyone’s computer. If that’s not enough, the stove, microwave, VCR, MP3 server and grandfather clock in my home will be there to give me an idea of what time it is.

Oddly, about the only time I need to know time accurately is at the Renaissance Faire - for this, I have a tiny clock hidden in a small wooden box the size of an ice cube. The guy on the right (and no, it’s not me) has one, just to the left of his hand.

Wristwatch, tends to get used as a pocket watch. This is a leftover from all those hours spent in chemistry labs - the watch was safer in the coat’s pocket. People look at me funny but nobody has dared say a word.

I’ve worn one almost everyday at least since I was 12–possibly longer. It’s only left my wrist when sleeping, showering, or when the battery is dead. At this point it’s habit as much as anything–I feel like something is missing if I’m not wearing it. I’ve tried wearing bracelets and such when the battery is dead, but it doesn’t feel right.

I love pocketwatches, but in these days of cell phones they make little sense. The less I have to wear on or near my belt, blocking access to my pockets, the better I like it. So I’ve got my cell phone, and then 50% of the time the on-call blackberry from work, and that’s it. Anything more would just be too much.

I do wear a wristwatch though and feel naked without it.

I have neither a watch nor a cellphone. I am a time ninja.

This, however:

is really, really cool.

I also occasionally consider buying one of these.

Always, unless I am
a) sleeping
b) showering
c) actively working on my laptop (scratches)

I feel naked without a watch.

I too use a pocket watch. They’re not expensive - £45 for a decent one, battery or manual.

Pretty much the same here. I find my day goes by quicker if I don’t have my watch on and I hide my taskbar at work so I can’t see the time by looking in the corner of my screen. If I really need to know the time, I can look up from the screen and get a view of the clock or I can turn my watch over.

My watchband has to be the expandable kind because my wrist gets thicker throughout the day. My current band is a tad smaller than my last one so leaving it on all the time is a little uncomfortable.

I’m right handed, and wear my watch on my left hand. This goes back to when I first wore watches, and I evidentally got confused when my dad was telling me how he did it, because it was a year or two before I noticed that he wore his watch on his right hand, and not his wrong one like I do.

As far as pocket watches are concerned, they’re nice cause most blue jeans you buy have fob pockets for them anyways (which I use currently to hold my zippo lighters, which also fit nicely in there). Sometimes they can just make for nice decoration to go with dressy attire. Plus, they’re just freaking cool, same reason people still wear analogue watches and listen to vinyl records.

I’ve always worn a watch, typically some variety of Timex Ironman digital, at the time i thought it was a pretty neat idea…

now i’ve gotten into mechanical analog watches, and i rotate between three watches…

Luminox 3000 series Quartz with tritium traser vials (worn any time i need low-light readability)

Seiko Orange Monster 200M Dive watch, automatic 7S26 movement, fully mechanical

Seiko 5 Automatic (for those days i want something lighter than the Monster)

the Monster sees the most use, the 5 basically lives on the watch winder…

I’m confused. I am right handed and wear my watch on my left - is that somehow different than how most people wear them??

Leave him and marry me. Can I have your Hamiltons as a dowry? Double points if you have a nice

Right now I’m wearing my Casio atomic that gets set every night. I absolutely must have a watch on at all times, and it must be frightfully accurate. I have … issues.

If I ever come into money, I’m going to be a total watch whore. Hamiltons and Omegas by the dozens!

Ventura

Whoops!

I’ve worn one off and on over the years, but not consistantly. The last 5 years or so I haven’t worn one at all. I have my cell phone or if I’m at work there are 3 clocks in view (computer,phone and wall), same at home, there’s always one in view or easy to get to.

I have one.

It’s the only battery-powered watch I wear.

Nope, never have or will. I guess my perception of time is’nt detailed enough for hours and minutes. I’m just happy to know what day of the week it is. It’s Friday today, is’nt it? Wohoo, almost weekend!

But seriously, there are watches and clocks things that go ping all over the place, how can one not know what time it is? If you’re unsure about the time, just lick youre finger and point to the sky and say its three minutes to five.

You might be surprised to hear that is rather common. I once worked at a jewellery store and there were quite a few people who would buy watches and have all kinds of odd things happen…watches would speed up, or slow down, or they would kill new batteries in a day or two. Some people genuinely have some kind of body electricity that can screw up watches in no time, and other people are allergic to the metal that touches their skin.

There is a cure, if you really want to wear a watch…it is a little rubber sticker that fits under the watch to keep the metal away from your skin. Works 99% of the time. Most good jewellery stores sell them.

Personally, I can’t wear a watch or a ring or a necklace or an arm bracelet or anything…drives me nuts and I fiddle with any jewellery as if it is a shackle on my body. Needless to say, they loved me at the jewellery store as they never had to fear I would try to take anything from them. Of course, I had to keep my jewellery phobia to myself - bad for business to discuss it with the customers.