Do you wear shorts or pants at home?

Shorts in the summer, pajama pants in the winter.

I can be perfectly comfortable in my jeans until it’s time to plop down on the couch and watch tv. But when I first get home, I have the dog to walk, dinner to cook, chores to do…when that’s all done, I put on my jammies. On weekends, I wear my jammies until I decide to get off my butt and walk the dog, cook, do chores…then I put on my jeans (or in summer, shorts.)

When I get home and am done with “chores”, everything comes off and the comfy pants (either sweats or flannel pajama pants) and shirt (t-shirt or long sleeve shirt - depends on how cold I am) go on. Sometimes I wear my fuzzy too. For those who are unaware of what a fuzzy is, it’s a flannel shirt/jacket that has quilting or fleece on the inside that I have appropriated from my husband thus is quite large and very nice to snuggle into. Oh - sometimes I wear my snoopy slippers too.

Sometimes shorts if I’m home during the main part of the day, but mostly I wear what’s called a phakhima (wearing one right now). Not the same thing as a sarong at all, a phakhima is a long piece of cloth that men wrap around their waist. Has lots of uses. Some Thais use them to shimmy up a coconut tree. They can be used as an impromptu hammock. As a baby carrier. To tow a bicycle. Lots of uses. I have many in my closet.

Wait, I thought it was because you never know when you might end up at the hospital–and you’d want to be wearing clean underwear then, wouldn’t you?!

I’m in a suit and tie all day, Monday through Friday, so as soon as I get home I change into a T-shirt and shorts and go barefoot (summer), or jeans and a sweater or sweatshirt, with wool socks (winter; my feet get cold easily then).

I would if I lived by myself. Or if my apartment had better heating. As it is, I wear shorts in warm weather, and in the winter I usually wear a cotton dress that has become my “home” dress and some comfy sweat pants. Or sometimes a slip and a robe.

If I am the only one home I see no reason to wear clothes at all. If my roommate is home or will be home soon I put on jammies, the length and material of which is determined by the temperature of the apartment.

Seeing as this thread is taking place in December, I’m curious how many of the folk who wear shorts (or less) are living N of the Mason-Dixon line. If so, do you pay your heating bill? What do you set your thermostat at?

My preference is shorts when it is warm out. Heck, at one point my wife had to convince me I should put a shirt on for meals. But when there’s snow outside, I’m wearing pants, a tee shirt under a long-sleeved shirt, and sometimes a vest. And we have blankets on several of the chairs/couches that we wrap up in while reading/watching TV.

I have three classifications of clothes: Outside, Lounge, and Sleep. When I’m in for the evening, I switch into Lounge clothes which are shorts in the summer and sweatpants in the winter plus a comfy bra, tank or t-shirt, and fleece if it’s cold. Always indoor slippers or flipflops. It’s kinda a cleanliness thing: Lounge clothes haven’t been dirtied outdoors and Sleep clothes are the absolute cleanest ‘cause I dotn’ wear them for anything but sleeping.

Before the kids, yes. I figured it was better to be discreet than to risk a tell-all book from my kids when they grew up about how daddy dressed when they were young.

We’re business casual at work, but when I come home I insantly march upstairs and put on proper stockings and garter belt, a full slip, a nice a-line housedress, pearls, and a sensible pair of 3" heeled pumps. Then I go vacuum.

I generally do’t wear shorts at all…

Soon as I get home I wander upstairs and slip into my yoga pants and a tank top, or my PJs (bra comes OFF. I have a good fitting one, which is generally quite comfortable, but once I’m home I prefer it off). Depending how cold it is I might put on a warmer shirt and handknit socks or my slippers. If I’m REALLY cold I’ll put on my big fuzzy robe. Summer I stick to bare feet (or flip flops, if I haven’t scrubbed the floor yet) and light shirts. All with either pj pants or yoga pants, which I use like pj pants cuz they are just so comfy and I can wander outside in if need be without being completely embarassed (such as to throw out the garbage or take off after a mini houdini who unlocked the chain while I was throwing a load in the washer or something).

As soon as I get home, I put on men’s boxers and a tank or T, pretty much year round. I sewed up the fly in the boxers so I don’t flash anybody! If it’s really cold I wear some sweats or pajama bottoms.

People wear clothes at home alone?

Weird.

Most days, I change immediately into my workout clothes. If I don’t get to the gym immediately after work, I won’t go.

Then, I shower and usually put on shorts or sweats. I usually don’t wear jeans around the house unless I’m already wearing them from going somewhere on the weekend.

If I haven’t gotten dressed to leave the house, I just stay naked. If I have to leave my bedroom I’ll throw on a sarong or loose gym shorts. If I’m cold I’ll throw on a tshirt. If I’ve already dressed to go out or I come home, I’ll just keep whatever I had on.

Definitely switch into shorts. As the temp drops, I will add a sweatshirt/hoodie over my t-shirt and socks to my house-shoes, and only resort to flannel house pants on the coldest days.

Story: When my son was two, he saw me with my work chinos on early in the morning, and, realizing I wasn’t wearing my stay-at-home shorts, immediately shouted “Take off your pants! Take off your pants NOW, Daddy!!”

:slight_smile:

I don’t change when I get home and don’t have the legs to prance about in shorts.
When I actually worked for a living (many years ago) I would, but that wasn’t because of comfort. Sitting in front of a bank of monitors in a computer lab (where the temp rarely exceeds 72F) doesn’t stress my antiperspirant.
Sure, I don’t like to sit around the house in a suit or a kilt, but my work clothes are just as comfortable as anything else I have. Dockers vs. Levi’s, polo shirt vs. T-shirt, not much difference there.

The one thing that I’d like to exchange for comfort would be my shoes, but my feet don’t deal well with being barefoot and “comfortable” shoes hurt almost as bad.

Shorts May thru September; longs October thru April. A good rule of thumb is when I prefer hot coffee vs. iced beverages at midday, it’s time for the longies to come out.