Does Bagpuss bring a tear to your eye?

Cos he sure as hell gets to me

Not a tear exactly Pushkin , more a nostalgic smile …
I wonder how many non UK Dopers will look at this thread and go “Huh ?” they probably no nothing of the Clangers, Ivor the Engine, Noggin the Nog either poor lost souls :wink:

(PS My friends called my Dad Professor Yaffel!)

There is a brief but funny sequence in the new Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy film where the main characters are all rendered as Bagpuss/Clangers-type characters - as in cloth-covered, clumsy stop-motion animation.

I used to enjoy all of those, but Bagpuss and Noggin the Nog were my personal favourites

[Mice] *We will fix
We will mend it *[/Mice]

I loved Bagpuss as a kids. IIRC it was on before Swap Shop wasn’t it? Anytime I see clips of it I get hit with a very strong sense of nostalgia.

Ivor the Engine was my personnel favourite though.

Just for the record channel 5 are reshowing Bagpuss, but it is on very early in the morning, which is a shame as I would have liked my 4 year old daughter to get to see it (I never remember to set the VCR).

Awwwwwwww, Bagpuss!!

sniff
Yup, it gets me.

I wonder what they make of my nom-dee-ploom :slight_smile:
Obviously I prefer the Clangers. But I do have a soft spot for the Mouse Organ.

I only know of Bagpuss because a friend in London has a big stuffed one, and while visiting I commented on the strange looking cat. She tried to explain the phenomenon that I missed being American, and subsequently send me a little stuffed version. So my reaction to Bagpuss is a smile, the little guy sits on my bookshelf and watches me - he’s so endearing I can’t help but smile.

But as for the show, yep, nothing. I had no idea he had side kicks, I just know the pink cat.

Bagpuss creeped me out. The whole “ancient smelly stuff cat coming to life” thing.

So the only tear would be the bad sort.

Not even as a child was I scared of Bagpuss!

Strange to think there were so few episodes too, it seemed to go on forever :smiley:

Ah, the wonderful works of Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin! They bring a smile of nostalgia, not a tear. For those who wish to revisit these treasures, or introduce new generations, several DVDs and VHS tapes are available here (amongst other places). A timeline of the various Postgate/Firmin series is given here.

Ivor the Engine and Noggin the Nog were my favorites; I’m sure I had many a childhood anxious dream involving Nogbad the Bad!

The Clangers were incredibly inventive too, given the small scope of their world. Now I’m hungry for some blue string pudding…

In the lands of the North, where the Black Rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long, the Men of the Northlands sit by their great log fires and they tell a tale…

There was programme recently on BBC4 all about Postgate and Firmin. They have just made a new, one off, Ivor mini episode to publicise the new Welsh Digital TV channel. Luckily they still had the original models lying around in the stables that they had used for their studio.