Does the idea of a thirty year old virgin athelete genuinely play well in America?

So, one of the Olympians thinks she’s Artemis. Is that such a surprise?

Who is Orion then?

I didn’t know who Lolo Jones was until this thread and thus checking her out on Wikipedia. She has such an inspiring life story that this focus on her virginity and what this says about her seems ridiculous.

This.

This+1. If you just don’t wanna, for whatever reason, that’s fantastic and I still hope you find happiness. But it’s also kinda personal–why are you even talking about it? I’m equally baffled by homosexuals who feel they need to come out to me when I’ve never even expressed an interest in them or their preferences. I save my intimate history for my close friends, I would really appreciate the same courtesy. Oh, and same goes for religion, your bowel movements and the color of your menstrual blood.

Most people haven’t heard about this - I’m a sports fan and I hadn’t, although I’m not into track and field - and of those who’ve heard, most don’t give a crap. People who care about this are either a small minority of conservative hreligious believers or joke writers for late night talk show hosts.

I didn’t know Canada even had news stories. This is exciting.

She raised it during an interview on Real Sports. I don’t care but I’d like to bang her despite her having tiny breasts.

I wonder who brought up the issue in the first place? If it was her, that seems like a little too much sharing. Why should we care about the sex lives of successful athletes?

IMHO, I think she is a virgin, 1st because she has dedicated her life to her sport. 2nd (and at the core of it really), she is TOO picky! You can tell she is very controlling and probably a complete prima donna. I think she is a very gifted athlete and quite attractive, but I bet she is a total P.I.N.T.A. to be around.

Athletes from Jack Johnson to Wilt Chamberlain to Tiger Woods have dedicated their lives to their sports and still found time to have plenty of sex. Being in well-known and in great shape makes it easier to get laid even if you devote lots of practice time to your sport.

Is she gonna do me?

No?

Then I can’t see that it’s really any of my bidness.

Yes, this thread is the first I’m hearing about this too.

What makes you think that this has anything to do with an American fetishism? The fact that this Lolo Jones seems to be unique among American Olympians making such a claim should tell you something about what Americans as a whole are likely to do.

Are you Scottish?

Waitaminit, the entire country gives importance to these things? Where are you getting that?

1. The red state/blue state paradigm is a gross oversimplification of the situation.

2. You reversed the meaning of red and blue in this context.

Clearly you haven’t read here for long.

Nor have you.

Count me in the “why did she bring it up” camp. It’s her personal life, and if she’s made that choice it’s fine, and possibly admirable, depending on her motivation for doing so.

But, unless she’s talking to someone she’s about to start a relationship with, why is your sex life a topic for discussion?

Har! This place doesn’t really count. It’s sort of a pocket of non-reality. Sometimes surreality. Blood, sex, tampon string management, electric blue 18 inch ribbed two-headed jelly dongs…everything goes.

You don’t follow news from around the globe much, do you?

When we see late-virgin athletes like this, I think that there’s also a little bit of a Galahad thing going on as well; even though nobody comes out and says it, I think there’s a little bit of the thought that their “purity” is part of what got them this far.

That’s what I was implying with my remark earlier about Artemis. It takes a special sort of mentality to become an Olympic gold medalist; if the whole “virgin goddess” things is what works for her, then who are we to object?

Her decision begins to make sense now …