Donkey Kong Country Returns is fucking amazing

So I’ve been playing this game the last few days (it officially comes out tomorrow, Sunday) and it’s simply one of the best games I’ve played all year. The game is simply chock full of “holy shit” moments that really demonstrate the strengths of 2D platformers.

Perhaps the best part of the game (besides the insanely awesome co-op) is how much shit is happening at a time. Not just in the foreground, but the background too, to an unmatched degree for a platformer. The levels are changing constantly, and the level of interaction simply adds to it.

If you’re a fan of Donkey Kong Country games, Nintendo games, platformers, or hell, even just good games, you need to play this fantastic experience.

This is going to make me sound really simplistic, but honest question - can it be played with the classic controller? In other words, what’s the degree of waggle involved? Thanks!

Is this a Wii game? Man, I loved the shit out of the original. I remember being completely bowled over from the first frame at the SNES graphics…

Joe

It is a Wii game and it still looks awesome.

No Classic Controller support, though you can play with just the Wii Remote, sans nunchuk. In either case, waggle is used for rolling and pounding the ground. I didn’t like it at first (being so used to the originals), but it ends up working great (just like the spin in Galaxy 2).

Yeah, I thought the spin in Galaxy 2 was kind of annoying too, but it wasn’t so bad to make it unplayable. Thankfully I have a friend who will buy this for sure so I can try it first; thanks for the response!

(Sidetrack: I REALLY don’t get why they put the classic controller out there to sell, and then don’t add support for it in the games where it’s most obvious, like New SMB and this. Seriously? They don’t think there’s at least a few people that that would appeal to?)

I saw it’s getting great reviews. Is there coop?

Yes. That’s part of what makes it so awesome. (though it’s really fun either way).

Before I’d buy it, I’d need to hear from someone (else) who thought the trailer looked awful and then was pleasantly surprised at the gaming experience. I had less than zero interest in this after watching the trailer.

I played it at gaming events before and wasn’t a big fan. It grew on me. A lot.

Okay guys, it’s out. Has no one else picked it up? Justin Bailey??

Wow, a special invitation. It’s on order at the library I work at, so I have to wait a few days before I give a shot. But I loved the first Donkey Kong Country, so I am definitely looking forward to this.

I’m still playing the shit out of Pac-Man Championship Edition DX right now though.

How does it rate against Kirby’s Epic Yarn? Surprisingly that was a pretty good game that I enjoed the hell out of.

I’ve liked Kirby’s Epic Yarn whenever I was playing it, but I was never motivated to really put it in, hence why it remains unfinished.

I think Donkey Kong Country Returns blows it out of the water, but it’s a very different experience. While Kirby was slower and not terribly difficult, DK is the exact opposite, and I love it for it.

And while I quite adored Kirby’s art-style…it was just too static. Nor much happened, whereas the environment is changing all the time in DKCR.

The game’s kicking my ass. I’ve been stuck on a level, (1-k Platform Panic), for over two hours. I don’t need to play the level to progress, but I’m trying to get everything. I’m NEVER going to be able to get through the ‘speed runs’…

But yes, it’s a cool game. It’s really hard though.

Finally!! On to the beach.

Ok, third post in a row…

Particularly interested in **Red Barchetta’s **response, but asking everyone who’s started playing;

First, just wondering if anyone’s beaten the game or not? Are you guys planing on completing everything, (if you hadn’t already?), or do you just strive to get from ‘point A to B’, without collecting everything?

I’ve been playing on and off, (it’s a busy time of year for me), and I’m at the first level in the caves, I have all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces so far. Speed-Runs are impossible for me to wrap my head around attempting.

As much as I get use to waggle, I still think there’s no need to not support the Classic Controller other than for Nintendo to say, “see, we use our own technology”. The Wii Remote sideways is killing my hand. The other way of playing is more comfortable, but not as easy for me.

I love this game, but it might be a little too difficult for me. It’s not as ‘static’ as New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which I found to be a bit boring. I can’t wait to play more.

You loan out video games at the library?!

Dam straight! I buy the games we lone out at the library. Just Wii right now (and PS2 before that), but I’m hoping that some money will open up to expand it to Xbox 360 games as well.

Damn, kids have got it good these days. When I was growing up, the library’s “media” section was like three VHS copies of PBS miniseries.

I was watching the trailer for this the other day. It looks really cool. And REALLY hard!