Don't let Firefox update to 3.6.16 New Tabs are broke

I downloaded FF4 yesterday. What happened to the option for reloading a current page?

You can use F5, or there’s a “reload” button to the right of the address bar.

Well, grrr. Despite the fact that it worked fine until I restarted FireFox, my one-click weather add-on is now disabled because it is “incompatible with FF4.”

Bunk. It was working, until FF auto-disabled it. And now there’s no option to turn it back on.

Blah. Guess I’ll be waiting to upgrade at home, then.

Me too.

Took a little tweaking but I love 4.0. Moved Reload and Home back to the left side of the Address bar. Had to uninstall an abandoned extension and download the new version. Other than that things are working very well.

I have so many different add-ons to make the browser look how I like it, I was afraid Firefox 4’s alterations would force me to have to deal with some crappy thing I don’t like.

But as it turns out, all my add-ons have upgraded in a way that maintains everything the same, and I only needed to add a new one that returns the status bar back to what it used to do.

I switched to Pale Moon browser, which is a build of Firefox which is much less memory-intensive. It uses half the memory that Firefox did in my system. It’s a lot faster. All my Firefox add-ons work with it, including Greasemonkey. I almost don’t know it’s not Firefox except that it runs so much better.

I use Tab Mix Plus add-on for keeping my tabs on top or bottom, and for telling new tabs where to open.

Wait. Something’s not working right. Clicked links here on the SDMB aren’t turning grey.

I shall investigate.

Seems to be something to do with the CSS History Leak. And as the SDMB aren’t going to upgrade vbulletin for a while yet (thankfully, in some ways, because the latest build is repulsively ugly) I may need to find some other fix, via Greasemonkey or Stylish.

Been using it on SuSE SLED 11 at work with no problems. Of course that I don’t really notice any memory problems with a 16 gigs memory puter. Time to upgrade, also don’t hold back on those autoupdates for your windows machine. Microsoft really does know better.

How can I change the colors of the tab bar controls (e.g. new tab ‘+’) to make them readable? And who thought dark gray on navy blue would be a readable color combination in the first place?

Is there an easy way of checking what add-ons will work with FF4 before installing it or going to every add-ons’ page?

Try this: Is It Compatible.

Thanks. Of course, now I’m wondering if Firefox 4 will blend.

Very cool, thank you. Now I know that some of my crucial add-ons aren’t compatible with FF4 yet, so I am definitely holding off at home for a while.

I downloaded Firefox for the first time yesterday…I finally had enough of Internet Explorer. I love it; of course, I don’t have an earlier version to compare it to. The speed is very impressive, and the whole interface is so trim and neat. I just wish it wasn’t so much trouble to get links from other MS products to open in Firefox.

Try installing this. You can run Explorer inside Firefox, if certain things work better that way. You still have your Firefox toolbars and so forth.

I quite like it. especially the invisible status bar, but I would like to see downloads make it visable, so I know if something is done or not. I guess I’m just not as picky as most of you about my browser, so I don’t really mind when firefox “moves my cheese”.

Doesn’t everything? :wink:

I’m amused at how I re-downloaded Google Earth the other day and it installed Chrome without asking me. I tested it out, but after a few minutes decided I didn’t feel like switching. A few days later, the update to Firefox comes out, and the interface is suspiciously similar to Chrome (at least as I remember it) and they keep bragging about how fast it is now. Heh.

To answer your question NetTrekker, select Tools/Add-ons and look for the ‘personas’ on the right-hand side. There are many schemes to choose from that will provide more readable color combinations, including some without logos/pictures (‘Solid’ category). Just click the ‘Add to FF’ button. And there are still a lot of bad ones, so choose carefully.

Now to find out why they dropped the AVG safe-surfing support…