Doom Patrol

Anyone watch this? I saw the first scene and a trailer so I admit I haven’t seen it. In fact I haven’t seen ANY DC work on TV. The little I’ve glimpsed just seems…not good?

So I heard its supposed to be based on Grant Morrisons work…BUTTT…it seems to be this odd mix of the old work and Grants. I don’t like how there’s the mashup of self-pity and loathing with Morrisons work. Morrisons Doom Patrol embraced their weirdness.

I don’t like Cyborg and Robotman on the same team. Can people just leave Cyborg alone??? Is he going to be the go to diversity hire for every team? JLA…Doom Patrol…

And Crazy Jane is supposed to be color-ful and wacky and every nutjob girl you dated in college. Not dour and in the same outfit. (Again. Haven’t watched the whole ep if thats changed)

But I don’t want to completely shit on what I saw. I love Alan Tudyk. The use of Mr. Nobody is a wonderful choice, and the preview seems to show wonderful villains down the line. Ive always liked Timothy Dalton and hopefully they FULLY use Niles Caulder and what happens down the line in the comics. I like Brendan Fraser. Seems kinda wasted though.

Reviews from both critics and civilians are generally positive. Only real complaint I’ve heard is that some of the special effects are… modestly budgeted.

Brendan Fraser and a lackluster James Bond - I’ll pass

I watched it, it was pretty blah. I (by accident, not any particular design) was never really a DC reader, so my only previous familiarity with any of the characters was from their introduction in an episode of Titans (who–outside of Robin–I previously knew only from Teen Titans Go.) Cyborg wasn’t in this episode (or the episode of Titans.)

Second episode more interesting (and funnier) than the first.

Thanks Darren!

the first time I seen cyborg and firestorm was in the 86- 87 jla Saturday morning series where darkseid was introduced ……. (only reason I watched it it is because it was after the ewoks and droids show)it was the last dc cartoon series until batman : tas came out

So episode 5 provides us with this scene…
(Spoilers, obviously.)

That last minute or so was hilarious.

Is that the Constantine knock-off Morrison was forced to use?? Hopefully we’ll see the most faithful Constantine yet.

Yes, though I had never heard of the character or story line before the episode (and googling afterwards.) The guy will always be Crowley to me, though.

I’ve been watching this show and I’m pleasantly amused.

The people making this show are suitably wacky – I’ve only seen excerpts of Legends of Tomorrow, but it definitely seems like they’ve taken some of that show as a model for what’s going on. The ‘when-in-doubt, make-something-strange-happen’ rule of thumb.

The characters seem to be true to themselves and going through development.

He’ll always be Badger, to me.