Or if she’s skittish, mention that you generally shop at a particular time on a particular day, and the ball’s in her court. Maybe you’ll run into each other shopping again.
If I met a man in the market and talked to him for just a few sentences, I’d probably change my mind about calling him later. But if we had a nice conversation, I’d be much more likely to call him.
ymmv
[/QUOTE]
That would be my suggestion as well. The “I’ve really enjoyed talking to you, I usually shop about this time on Saturdays.” Then do so for a few weeks, hanging around near the oatmeal. Remember as a divorced mom, she may miss the first meeting, but if she’s interested, she’ll make a point of showing up. Without kids. Have the suggestion handy for nearby coffee shop and bring a pen…
Since you missed the opportunity, I’d make sure to show up next week in the same place just in case she was so intrigued as to try and find you.
[QUOTE=Khadaji]
What should I have done at this point?
[/QUOTE]
Run away. Clearly someone who tells you that much is a potential stalker or extremely desperate to hook someone, perhaps to take all his money after burying the body in her crawlspace.
Wait. Do people where you’re from normally start conversations with strangers? If so, maybe it’s not so bad. If you visit up this way, my advice stands. The very occasional polite comment to a stranger is allowed, but conversations in a store are right out.
[QUOTE=jjimm]
I’m not from your culture, but if a new acquaintance handed me a personal card, I’d think they were a weirdo.
Now I recall, someone did hand me a personal card last year (a Canadian dude, to give me his email address) and my reaction was “what a total douche”.
Find a pen, find a bit of paper, make a bit of fun out of it, and ask for her number.
(On review, what Flea said. Not that I ever pick up women - I just think personal cards are embarrassingly, cloyingly egotistical and carry the scent of the somewhat desperate.)
[/QUOTE]
I am from our culture and I’d still think anyone who handed me a personal card was a douche.
Personal cards are on the come back, especially in the Mommy Set. I haven’t yet succumbed to the temptation, but really, it is a pain trying to give info to someone with screaming kids, diaper bags, etc. Then trying to remember the mothers name AND the kids name, eesh.
My babysitter uses them and I find that even if my cell phone is dead, I still have away of knowing her number.