SDMB rules 9/12/2023

I wouldn’t have chosen alphabetical organization, nor would I have put it all in one post, but you do you. Also it is entirely possible to create intra-post hyperlinks, for example this one goes to the end of my post.

Anyways, here are my opinions on the draft,

I think this paragraph is a good place to add, “please do not register more than one account. Your account is for you individually and is not to be shared with family or friends. Contact [insert email address] if you are having trouble registering, trouble accessing your account, or suspect your account has been compromised.”

If you are doing away with forum-specific rule threads, then this section should be removed.
If not, optimally you should include a list of links to forum specific-rule threads.

Emphasis mine. This definition of hate speech is unnecessarily restricted to racism, contrary to the preceding statement which implies the rule is intended to cover sexism, etc. Consider reorganizing the sentence like so,

Hate speech – that is, racial epithets that in our opinion are clearly racist and other pejorative remarks about groups – is prohibited in all forums.

Or using a less specific word word like “hateful”,

Hate speech – that is, racial epithets and other pejorative remarks about groups that in our opinion are clearly racist hateful – is prohibited in all forums.

I recommend replacing “racist” with “hateful” or “hate” as appropriate, like so:

1. Not all pejorative comments about groups rise to the level of hate speech or, in our judgment, are clearly hateful. We recognize there are differences of opinion on what constitutes hate speech. We leave it to the SDMB community to debate such questions. If you believe a post is racist or otherwise hateful, you are free to say so, provided you abide by our rule against insults – see point #10 below. Others are free to disagree with you. The belief that the truth will emerge from the clash of views in open debate is a cardinal principle of this board.

I also recommend revising this paragraph so it is clear:

1. Whether you prefer users report the post and await moderator judgement before resorting to open accusations in-thread, and
  2. that while the community is free to debate whether a post is racist, moderators who review a flagged post will not take a community vote.

Please copy the actual list of site-wide prohibited topics into the text of the post. That goes with the whole objective of having all the site-wide rules in one place. The Great Debates rules thread says they apply only to that forum.

As above, this summary implies that all hate speech is racist (therefore sexism and gay slurs are not hate speech). I recommend revising it:

To summarize, posting hate speech is a violation of SDMB rules. However, we do not wish to rule preemptively on every comment that could possibly be construed as hate speech. We leave such judgments to the collective wisdom of this board.

Furthermore I recommend revising or clarifying the last sentence. As currently written, it is reasonable to conclude that moderators will let the community members decide (vote on) whether or not any given post should be sanctioned by moderators as hate speech.

I recommend adding, “however, see the rule prohibiting hate speech.”

I recommend adding that hate speech is always prohibited, including racial or ethnic slurs and cheap shots - see the hate speech rule.

This is a forum specific rule not only for MPSIMS, but also QZ.

This should be moved to the registration paragraph.

Apropos, it is currently bad form to include a link in the Trolls 'R Us thread. The reason being that the software creates a backlink in the original forum which reads “Trolls’R Us”, essentially accusing them of being a troll in the original forum.

I don’t believe moderators make their email addresses public, with the exception of @engineer_comp_geek. Should “e-mail” be replaced by “private message”?

I recommend moving this to registration because you choose the screen name at registration.

Same as above.

It seems you forgot to edit in the “other than political affiliation or leaning” part.

~Max

End of post section anchor

Hover to the immediate left of the section header and you will be able to copy an invisible link. I used this to produce the section anchor:

## End of post section anchor

And this is the link used at the top of the post:

[this one](https://boards.straightdope.com/t/draft-restatement-of-sdmb-rules-9-12-2023/990013/49#end-of-post-section-anchor-1)