Dumped on New Year's Day

Just got dumped today. I wasn’t seeing her very long but things seemed fine and I had high hopes for the coming year. 2011 is about 19 hours old; It’s a little quick to get kicked in the nuts by it. I posted a bunch of optimistic Happy New Year shit on my Facebook page yesterday and now when I read it I want to throw up.

Sorry to hear about that. If it makes you feel any better, it’s just an arbitrary day on the calendar. Would you really feel any different if you got dumped on Jan 15th?

Getting dumped always sucks. But just think, at this time of year you’ve got a whole pool of potential dates with body-image issues who’ve made New Years resolutions that they know they won’t keep and…
…what?

That’s pretty harsh, Quimby. My condolences, but I think you’ll get a better selection of replies if this thread were moved to MPSIMS.

Oh Quimby, I’m really sorry. It sucks, and it hurts, and you need to let yourself wallow in it for a few days with some incredibly sad songs and as much ice cream and alcohol as it takes – again, for a few days. Then kick your ass into gear and open your eyes to the women who will be crossing your path when you least expect it.

They will, you know. But your eyes have to be keened to the opportunities. Meanwhile, wallow away. You deserve to.

Thanks everyone. And thanks for moving the thread. I debated asking to move it after I posted but I cursed in it and wasn’t sure what the rules would be.

I’m sorry to hear that, man. I know there’s not much that people can say that will make you feel better right now, but just know that we’re here for you.

I once got dumped on Valentine’s Day. Over the phone. You will be OK.

Hey, at least a girl cared about you at all. I get to go through the rest of my life knowing that will never happen to me. Be thankful for what you have.

Mook, dude, just…don’t.

I got dumped (well, I got informed of our “issues”) on Boxing Day 2009. She moved out over two days, Feb 14-15th. We had been together for 9.5 years.

You get over stuff.

mookie, I have told you directly and specifically to stop trying to hijack other people’s threads with your depressive comments. The last time you did it, I told you I was about to start issuing warning if you continued.

I have issued you a warning for ignoring moderator instructions.

twickster, MPSIMS moderator

Well that sucks. Here’s hoping you find love in 2011!!!

You are not alone Quimby, what you wrote also happened to me on New Years day, to your exact words and I feel like total crap as I thought it was going somewhere.

All I’ve done is sleep for the past 2 days and feel miserable

Trying to cheer myself up but its tough hey!

Never got dumped on Valentine’s Day (Christmas Eve good enough for you?) but twice had odd cards from then-SOs, one suggesting I find myself someone else and the other purporting to be from someone else in the hopes that I would chat up lots of women trying to find out who had sent it. You’d be surprised what you can live through without it compromising the chances of all ending well. But as any fule kno, it sure don’t feel like it at the time.

Saying “Happy New Year anyway” is kinda like saying “Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?” but let’s say it, 'cos the New Year still has excellent chances once the pain in the nuts goes away. Hang in there, bro.

I just want to say thanks again for all the supportive responses. I have been a long time lurker and don’t post all that often and despite that, getting an outpouring of good feelings and support really makes me feel a little better.

When I posted this, it was mainly out of frustration and a need to vent. I am really glad that I did.

ETA: an extra Good Luck to Martian333. I know exactly what you mean!

Once upon a time many years ago, I was in the Navy, dating a guy also in the Navy. His squadron deployed on a carrier to the Med. While he was there, he dumped me.

Yes, I got a “Dear John” equivalent while *he *was on a ship away from home. And I took it very maturely - I hacked off all my hair. OK, not all of it, but I’d been growing it long for him, dealing with the hassle of putting it up in uniform. So I showed him! I was going to mail it to him - ah ha, my revenge! Oh, and the letter I wrote to him… scathing would be putting it kindly.

Fortunately, I cooled down before mailing anything, I didn’t send the shorn locks to him, and when I finally did write back, it was an expression of sadness and disappointment, wishing him luck. The hurt eventually faded, and when I saw him 2 years later, it was as a friend. It was over 30 years ago, and I can laugh at the irony and see now that it all worked out for the best, at least for me. I have no idea what became of him…

So, with luck, within the next 30 years, you’ll feel better… :wink: And look at it this way - starting the new year like this, it can only get better, right?

Sorry - I kinda suck at this…

All I can add is, at least she waited until after Christmas, so that wasn’t totally spoiled. I’ve known in my life three couples who split or filed for divorce right after the f’ing tree was hauled out to the curb. There’s such pressure during a holiday, to keep a pleasant surface, to keep it going for the sake of the family, the kids, the circle of friends, to not ‘ruin Christmas’.

My niece got dumped on New Years Day last year. She’s now in the best relationship of her life, with a FAR better man than the one who dumped her. So not only are you not the only one, but there’s anecdotal evidence that life goes on and gets better, too! :slight_smile:

Chin up – it was her loss, not yours!

Sorry, Quimby. That’s always a rotten feeling. Hope you start feeling better soon.