Dune Parody

Years ago I read a short story parody of Dune that has stayed with me in amazing detail. I’m thinking of rereading at least the first book, and I’d love to track down the parody.

In a nutshell, it was Lady Jessica(?) and Duncan saying good morning to each other and having breakfast. But it went on for pages because each character had an internal dialogue about everything the other character did or said. For example:

Jessica: “Good morning, Duncan.”

Duncan: (thinking to self) Why did she say good morning? Is she saying the morning has been good to her, and if so, what does that mean? Or is she asking if I’m having a good morning, and why would she want to know? Perhaps she is just commenting on the fact that nothing unpleasant has happened this morning. Does this mean she expected something to happen? I will respond cautiously, and hope to get more information from her answer. “And a good day to you, Jessica.”

Jessica: (To herself) What does he mean a good day to me? Is he telling me it won’t be a good day for others? He’s only wering his normal weapons, does that mean he’s not expecting trouble, or is he lulling me into a false ense of security? Does he want me to know there will be trouble, and if so, what would he gain from knowing that I know? And would he know that I know that he knew I knew? And doesn’t he know that bacon is bad for you, he must have 5 pieces on his plate? I must answer him, but I mustn’t let him know that I am aware of him. “Some coffee?”

Etc., etc. Any help would be appreciated.

It’s called Doon, and it’s by someone at The National Lampoon. It’s similar to, but not as good as, the parody Bored of the Rings. It came out in 1984, when the Lynch movie was released. It came out once in paperback and was never, to my knowledge, reprinted.

Thanks–I didn’t realize it was a book, but the descriptions I tracked down do indicate that this is the story I’m remembering. Maybe I only read an excerpt.