Election Day [Week][Month[s]] [Year] 2020 follow-along thread

Polls opened in Minnesota 52 minutes ago (7am).
By 615, people were in line at many voting stations. One station, in a very red suburban city, had 20 people in line by 615, now there’s over 200.
So far, 1.8 million Minnesotans voted early. That’s compared to 677K that voted early in 2016. Note our state population is only 5.68 million.

1. Out of curiosity, where are you located (approximately)?
  2. Regardless of where you are, EST (Eastern Standard Time) is the same everywhere. It’s now 8:58 AM EST.

Scottsdale. UTC -7
So, we are three hours before the east coast during DST, and 2 hours otherwise. Since we don’t change, it’s not easy to keep track of what time it is in other time zones.

I am reminded of the scene in LOTR: Two Towers where Aragorn prepares for the battle at Helm’s Deep, putting on his leathers and cinching his belt tight.

There is always hope.

I am reminded of the climax at the end of the series where Gollum steals the ring, but ends up getting pushed into the pit of boiling hot magma.

The last couple of days I’ve been thinking that if Trump wins, we really should consider splitting the country into 3 to reflect/allow very different folk to form their own societies.

1 East coast from Maine down to Virginia, and across to Wisc/IL
2 South - from the Carolinas down to Fla, and across through Tenn/KY, Texas and up to the Dakotahs
3 W coast - Wash/Or/Ca.

Sure, the boundaries could be tweaked, and many people will be pissed, but it impresses me as doable, and preferable to having folk who clearly feel so differently on so many significant issues trying to co-exist.

Suddenly the sun is shining in Brussels (Belgium), we are processing the terrible news coming from Vienna and I wonder when I should start watching the US news (CNN on my cable). Will there be something worth watching after the Champions League games (about 23.00 local time) already? Or should I go to sleep and watch if the nightmare continues after waking up? I am wishing you all the luck in the world.
At the same time I am preparing a rabid OP for the Pit just in case … but no, I still hope decency will prevail.

So many rousing and pertinent moments in LOTR…yours is more optimistic than Theoden shouting “Death! Death!” and charging the orcish hordes. :slight_smile:

Until the polls close on the East Coast (it varies by state, but let’s say 7:00 PM EST, or 0000 UTC) there will be nothing on TV except speculation, and video of people lining up to vote – peacefully, one hopes. Get some sleep.

Love it; absolutely love it.

My first memory of Dixville Notch was in the 1948 election when, IIRC, they cast 11 votes for Dewey and 1 for Truman. Not a good sign.

Hold your ground! Hold your ground!

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of men fails,

when we forsake our friends

and break all bonds of fellowship,

but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields,

when the age of men comes crashing down,

but it is not this day!

This day we vote!!

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth,

I bid you vote, Americans!!!

I have the TV on background as I work at home today, and geez Louise, the political commercials are still wall-to-wall. I can’t imagine a still-undecided voter is sitting at home right now, sees an ad and says, “hey, I totally see the point of view of that ad at long last, and now my choice is finally clear!”

I cannot wait until the political commercials and annoying text messages are gone tomorrow.

I voted a couple of weeks ago but I will be out and about all day today so I’ll be wearing my MAKE LYING WRONG AGAIN shirt in case anyone hasn’t gotten the message yet.

It’s just a gimmick of these two tiny New Hampshire towns. Residents gather at the polling place at midnight so they can be”first in the nation” to cast their votes. It has little-to-no bearing on the results in New Hampshire or nationwide.

I took off yesterday. That was stupid, I should’ve taken off today instead – how’m I supposed to get any work done while worried about the election?

We shall call it “Cascadia” and it will be the 11th province.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

538’s live coverage is up. They’re obviously good at keeping things in perspective as results start to be reported.

Well played!

Southeastern Kern County, California. The polling place near my work did have a line at ~7:10 AM PST, though not a huge one. I work in a town with a population of 20,000. Seems about right.