Engraving a ring: how many characters?

I’ve tried Googling this, and I can’t find anything on it. Do any of you have experience in getting a ring engraved? I’m getting married in about a month (yay!) and I would like to have my fiance’s ring engraved. I know what I want to say, but it seems too long.

For what it’s worth, his ring is size 11. How do I figure out what I can put in there?

It greatly depends on the “font” size you want to use, and how much you want to pay. After all, they can engrave the entire text of the Lord’s Prayer on the head of a pin, but it would be extremely expensive and most jewelry shops wouldn’t be equipped to handle such a thing.

If your engraving is something along the lines of “To [Name] with everlasting love from Beadalin 8-10-06” you should be fine.

Here is an example of an engraved set of wedding bands with a standard set of vows on them, three lines of text in all. So, it’s possible to get a considerable amount of text, it just depends on the capabilities of the enrgaver.

Holy smoke. That’s a LOT! OK, it looks like my little line will fit just fine. Thanks for helping me out; now I am off to call the jeweler!

From a purely practical point of view, do you realize that engraving will make sale of the ring on craigslist more difficult down the road?

:smiley:

Why I oughtta…

In all seriousness, may you have decades of wedded bliss.

Thank you very much. I’m so excited about it I wind up grinning goofily whenever I think about it, which is often, and often at times were it would really be best to keep a straight face (budget meetings and the like). :slight_smile:

I am officiating a wedding a week from tomorrow (Universal Life Church minister), my 4th in the past 10 years*. I wrote the ceremony about a year ago when the couple first asked, then set it aside. I’ve been practicing it each evening for the past few weeks, and it is soooo nice. It actually makes my eyes tear up.

It begins, “Dearly beloved” but then goes off on a quick tangent.

All my best to you and your lucky fiance`.

*The 3 I’ve done seem permanent, all three still happily married. :smiley:

As long as your engraving doesn’t start ‘Ash nazg durbatuluk…’!