Expressions I hate

Not familiar with that one, if in the wild I heard “hey where’s my dick holster?” I’d have to reply “hey it’s your right hand, man”.

Can I just make a slight hijack to say that I think this is one of the worst remakes of a corporate logo I’ve ever seen? They changed from a lively mark that exudes fun and playfulness, perfect for an ice cream brand, to something that, except for the color, looks like it should be stenciled on the side of a bomb. It’s dull, static, and the serif on the 1 in the R explicitly gives away the Easter Egg “31” that was more cleverly hidden in the old logo.

If their research correctly determined that this logo is more “relevant” to young people today, I fear for today’s youth! I hope that the truth is what @Princhester said:

When they tell me to “have a good one,” I wink and say, “I do have a good one!”

“Have a good one" is the power chord of expressions. Handy when in Fairbanks, Ak in the summer and you’re not really sure if it’s morning or evening.

I had a boss who’d always use the “touch base” expression, and I always wanted to reply that we’re not baseball players. But I didn’t.

Also, I keep reading on a car group people saying their car “got new shoes!” No, they got new tires. Cars can’t wear shoes.

Is Boy Howdy still said?

It still is in the Longmire series of novels (CraigJohnson). Best darn novels ever.

People who use the word allergy when they really mean aversion.

Agreed. Attempting to elevate their personal distaste for something to a grievous medical condition that only a monster could possibly ignore. It makes me want to be a jerk when if they just expressed a preference I’d happily oblige.

Denim jeans.

Aren’t jeans denim by definition?

I really dislike the popular expression “a sense of entitlement” and even more so its apparent derivative “(S)he is so entitled”. This expression is used to indicate that the person is spoiled, or that they are appropriating things that are not due to them, to which they have no right.

I certainly don’t wish to encourage the kind of people described above, much less to be one of them. The problem I have with this expression is that I feel it is giving the word “entitled / entitlement” a negative connotation in today’s society, but there is nothing bad about entitlements per se. We are all entitled to something; not everything in life is a privilege. Eeasy example: the rights and liberties expressed in human / civil rights instruments like the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the American Bill of Rights, or the French Declaration of the right of man are not privileges. They most definitely are entitlements, and things like freedom of expression, of equality between the sexes, of peaceful assembly are even birthrights. They are granted to you on a silver platter by the Constitution just because you are physically present in the country. Don’t get me wrong, you shouldn’t take these constitutional rights for granted, and ideally you would be ready to fight for them if they are being infringed upon, and of course your rights end where other people’s rights begin. But you don’t have to do jack shit to earn any human or civil rights a priori. They are simply due to you.

So I really don’t like this expression’s tendency to equate “entitlement” with “being a spoiled brat.” I WANT you to have a sense of entitlement (to that which is legitimately due to you). I want every self-respecting person to have one.

Hear, hear!