Fallout 4 Countdown

So, do we think this is all in-engine?

I’m inclined to think so as, frankly, Dogmeat (let’s just assume that’s his name) looked a bit ropey, very flat and non-hairy. And IIRC lacking in shadows. If that was FMV they’d have done it a bit better.

I did appreciate what looked like blue skies in the post-apocalyptical world.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/11/blue-sky-in-games-campaign-launched.html

Looked like Skyrim’s engine, definitely seems more colourful than Fallout 3’s washed out palette. Rain, too!

Also, totally called it.

I see they went with the safe choice of brown and grey for the landscape again though. Where does all the dead brown grass come from if there’s never any green live grass?

I’m stoked for Boston. I’ve been there!

Maybe it’s not dead but just mutated so it looks dead. The brahmin have to eat something right?

According to Fallout4.com Bethesda is doing an E3 showcase on June 14th, hopefully they’ll give us some info on when it’s shipping. Skyrim’s teaser trailer was a full 11 months before the game came out so I’m guessing Q2 2016.

I had my usual concern that when we’re talking about hundreds of years since the apocalypse, those homes ought to show signs of attempted maintenance or be completely collapsed. A suburban American home without maintenance will not simply be a crumbly and dirty version of what it was the moment the bombs fell. It might be a rectangular pile of rubble, but even that may be underestimating the effect of erosion in a world whose weather patterns have shifted dramatically.

Between this and XCom 2, I guess it’s finally time for me to build a new computer.

I just shamed myself. :frowning:

Going home to get new pants.

I notice that they’re directing preorders to Amazon, Best Buy and GameStop, but only Best Buy even has a Fallout 4 page. Maybe they are supposed to fill them in after the announcement?

I didn’t recognise the setting. Anyone know what part of the US it’s based in?

So, what is your TLDR threshold?

Sorry, just giving you crap. Read above. Boston.

Crap, I swear I looked at this thread thoroughly! :smack:

:smiley: >2

I swear I saw a possible drivable car in the trailer…haven’t been able to watch it again, though.

Anybody catch a hint of any kind of local co-op?

I saw wrecked cars - same as in FO3 and NV - but not anything that suggests they’re drivable.

Aww shoot, you’re right. I was watching with one eye on my phone…turns out it was a brahmin.

There was a view from a Vertibird as it took off. There was in Fallout 3’s Broken Steel too, though as part of a cinematic, hopefully this time you can use them as regular transporting.

Anybody have a guess at the optimum system requirements? Or opinion on how much difference there will be between the Xbox and a good PC?

I’d love to use this as an excuse for a new PC.

Even ignoring all of the technical superiority, Bethesda games are barely the same game on PC. With a huge array of high quality mods, not only can you fix all of the poor design found in the game but you can add so much content and change the game to play any way you want it to. The vanilla games are empty shells in comparison to what they can become. It’s sad to think that most people never get a chance to see that.

I was a bit surprised that they dug up an Ink Spots song that is not only not in my collection, but that I’ve never even heard of. I mean, I’m not claiming to have a seamless collection, but I thought I had heard their whole catalog. It’s googlin’ time, it seems.

The last time around they picked I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire, which would have been my first choice. After that would have been Just Suppose by Lee Andrews & the Hearts. But It’s All Over but the Crying is also an excellent choice. You could argue that in the original games, the song choices were better because they weren’t thematically related at all, thus the irony and as such echoes a similar choice made for the end of Dr. Strangelove. But I do like the trick of juxtaposing a sad song as though we are invited to see some lyrics as touching upon the much more apocalyptic tragedy.