Fast food/chain resturant items that were recently removed that you now miss

Denny’s has gotten rid of a lot of their menu items recently to try to “streamline” their menu, but this also means some of my favorite value menu items are gone. Their $4 mozzarella sandwich (basically a sandwich with mozzarella sticks in it and marinara sauce) was actually super filling for cheap.

None of mine are exactly recent, but I do miss Whataburger’s rotating special burgers/sandwiches. They used to have their normal menu, and then one “special” limited-time burger/sandwich for a couple or three months. They’d rotate them back through periodically as well. Sometimes they were variants on the chicken sandwich, or even things like their chicken fajita taco.

Now they have “all time favorites” on the menu all the time, and I’m guessing those are the most popular ones of the “specials”. They do still rotate the “all time favorites”, but a lot less frequently than before- maybe twice a year, and they do still sometimes have special burgers, but those are usually seasonal type things, like the green chile burger (done at Hatch chile roasting time).

Another mostly Texas chain did something similar- Taco Cabana used to have a rotating special every few months- they’d have say… brisket for a couple months, and offer brisket tacos, brisket breakfast tacos, brisket nachos, brisket taco salad, etc… Then they’d have carnitas, and then something else, like some kind of Mexican-style shrimp, or some other way of doing chicken. My absolute favorite was the one where they’d basically take the fajita meat and then put some asadero cheese on it on the griddle until the cheese was toasted and browned, and put that in a taco.

But Taco C has now gone to just their basic menu, which is disappointing.

I used to drag my husband to Applebee’s once a year so I could order (and devour) their quesadilla burger. I’ve tried to replicate it at home with only mediocre results.
Since Applebee’s has discontinued the quesadilla burger I have no further reason to go there, but I do miss that juicy, crunchy calorie bomb.

Wow, disappointing to read but glad I caught this. I’m a Taco Bell customer about once every 15-18 months and, like you, I stick with about 3 things and seven layer burrito was one of them. Soooo guuummmy, lol. The other things are bean burritos & regular ground beef taco.

I really used to like the gorditas, almost like a pita, available Baja, Santa Fe & Supreme. I see they still have a gordita crunch so maybe they can still make something like the originals.

The chicken I can understand because they have two other chicken subs on their menu so it’s redundant, but roast beef is pretty confusing to me. What exactly makes it uneconomical to have?

My guess for Subway discontinuing the roast beef sub is that it was no longer selling well enough in most of their restaurants. And, they have a steak-and-cheese sub, so between that and the meatball sub, they do have two other beef-based subs still on the menu.

I’m still pining for Taco Bell’s chili cheese burrito. Most TBs stopped selling it ages ago, but a couple of them in my town still had them up until last year’s menu redesign. It was a thin little burrito with shredded cheddar and this thick, saucy chili that was completely different than the regular ground beef. You had to eat them right away before the cheese melted into the chili and it turned into orange slop, but they were delicious.

The last time I was in Brazil, their McDonald’s served the old-school fried apple pies and fried strawberry pies. Every time I go, I make sure to eat once or twice at a Mickey D’s. It seems weird to eat at an American chain while abroad, but their burgers have real flavor, made for the Brazilian palate, and I do like those fried pies.
They also serve guarana, the ubiquitous Brazilian soda, found in many brands just like ginger ale is sold here.

I’d heard it was harder to ‘cut’ the roast beef with other products and got too expensive. Another weird thing they discontinued is oregano. Cheap and nonperishable and likely to piss off a few customers… odd thing to 86 IMO.

Yeah they still have it on their app (roast beef is gone though) but when I went to pickup my online order at Subway yesterday they told me they didn’t have it anymore.

The puzzlement in Taco Bell eliminating the seven-layer burrito is that, unlike the potatoes, no ingredient in the seven-layer burrito isn’t also being used in another item they’ll still be selling. Indeed, the new grande nachos box is arguably a seven-layer burrito with beef added and served on chips instead of a burrito. All they’re “saving” is taking an item off the menu board. :thinking:

It sorta brings a new spin to the old joke about Taco Bell’s menu being multiple combinations of the same handful of ingredients. Now they’re refusing to sell one of those combinations.

Taco Bell has eliminated 3 of the 4 items that I would eat regularly; the 7-Layer Burrito, the Taco Salad and the Grilled Stufft Burrito. If the Mexican Pizza ever goes away, I don’t think I’ll ever go back (which is likely because I’ve never seen anyone but myself order one). McDonalds already lost me after they got rid of the McDLT and the Spanish Omelet Bagel was replaced by the McGriddle. Plus, Popeyes stopped selling their Cajun Fish.

El Pollo Loco briefly had a version too, I think they called it the Puffy Taco and it was glorious. But that was always a limited-time offering as far as I know. Just unfortunately it’s never come back!

Did they change the recipe of the Subway Club then? It’s one of my favorites but I haven’t had one in a while. It was ham, turkey and roast beef.

They discontinued the Club.

Jersey Mike’s also stopped their roast beef, which means their super club (my former favorite sandwich) is no longer on the menu. I also don’t get the removal of the seven layer burrito, it doesn’t stop them stocking any items so taking it off doesn’t really do anything.

This example is pretty much very, very old news, nothing recent about it:

When Culver’s (mid-west upper fast food) temporarily (now years later it looks permanently) removed fried chicken from their menu. I was oh so disappointed (and now I still am )

I rarely dine in fast food or chain restaurants, but a local brewery recently made a disappointing menu change. They used to have a soft pretzel served with homemade beer cheese. They switched from their homemade beer cheese to the orange cheese from a can.

Apparently I’m the only one who noticed or complained. :cry:

Wendy’s side caeser salad, I miss you.

Arby’s beer battered fish sandwich is alight, but the fish is thick and much softer than the bread so it crumbles and squirts out the side when you take a bite. The original fish sandwich is better, but only comes around for Lent so I hope to see it again soon.

Roast beef was my prefered sub at Subway. They still have meatball, but at one of the locations near here they keep it cold and reheat it when ordered. So, sometimes it not warmed up enough and takes longer to make.

It appears they also have a pork product that looks something like a McRib. I might have to try that out, the McRib has it’s place.