Forbidden Thread: Mafia V

Yes, . . . even if I can’t figure out how it’s fun.

Seriously, I enjoy reading pieces of the assorted game threads and forbidden threads, and I’ve played Mafia in real life, with just town and Mafia roles, but trying to figure out the details of the rules makes my brain hurt–let alone the strategy, and I much preferred games where we spent 5 minutes picking the first lynch victim, and half an hour later, we redealt the cards and started a new round.

You and Flying Cow Of Doom should get together - tell them to switch gender roles!

I’m glad she’s doing better.

As far as being new at the game, I can appreciate it. I made a lot of mistakes in my first game (M2). Including playing WAY too aggressively, and ended up getting forced to role-claim in a way that was detrimental to the town. I think watching can give you a good idea, but you really only learn when you’re actually making the decisions yourself and being held accountable for them.

To be honest, I think I’m finding the new players new to the SDMB variety (sachertorte, USCDiver, HazelNutCoffee, Pasta, Zeriel, Captain Klutz, Scuba_Ben, Mtgman, and you) more interesting to watch because I don’t have an established idea in my head of how you play, so it makes the reads I’m getting (in conjunction with knowing their roles) less tainted.

Well, it’s not quite the same… a cow is DEFINITELY female, so that’s his own fault. :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile, Clockwork Jackal’s is fairly gender neutral. Hmm…

Umm… Wow. Tryin’ REALLY hard to break the game, eh? :dubious: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m curious what kind of reaction this gets.

I’ve always wanted to see something like this happen. So which power role is he? I’m feeling pretty confident he’s a pro-town power role looking really hard to maximize his power. That said, I bet they don’t go for it.

I haven’t gotten a response from the Sub-list for a sub for Captain Carrot. If anyone in here wants to take his spot, shoot me a PM.

Well, I will neither confirm nor deny whether he has a power role or his alignment. What do you think he is?

I was mostly interested because the plan seems ALMOST perfect on the surface, but obviously since then a couple people have pointed out some flaws in it.

I’m not even in the game anymore, and Autolycus is annoying me!

One thing that has struck me about the game is the excess of perfect knowledge that is out there for both the cultists and the town.

The cultists know who they are, but the town also has two roles that know more about the town as well.

As for **Autolycus ** , I can see him annoying more than just **ArizonaTeach ** with his flavour text, but he is quite capable. In fact, given his latest gamespeak it would be highly amusing if he was the priest. :wink:

I read through Mtgman’s post and could also find a few flaws. It would certainly fail if the crusader was unluckily knocked off in the first couple of nights by the cultists. Also the Prophet reads as town, and if the Monks roleclaim, they will be first in line to be knocked off reducing the known town roles. Not to mention recruiting a known townie after they have been given the OK.

Blaster Master does the Oracle effect take place the night after he investigates the Apprentice, ie. the Apprentices success rate climbs to 60% the night after he is investigated?

It begins on the very night he’s discovered. I was originally going to have it be the next night, but I figured the Oracle would have it hard enough living three days, much less finding the Apprentice and THEN living three days, so I thought I’d make it slightly easier.

Well it looks as though the first day has drawn to a close and Mtgman is tonight’s ‘unlucky’ chosen victim.

<sets up bar>
<fills bowls with nachos>
<sets up place card>

So, who else has been pinging everyone’s scumdar then?

(No hints please Blaster Master :wink: )

I’m not sure, but I think he’s a role that has some “inside info.”

As for the plan, it’s the kind of thing that, if it went well, it would be spectacular, but if their luck was seriously bad for a day or two, it would be spectacularly awful.

I have to catch up on the weekend, since I’ve been out of town for a few days. Looks like I’m going to be here for a while.

OK, guess I was wrong! :o

The idea was to make myself high profile enough to draw an early night kill. I was hoping I was the psychopath. That would have been fun. I should have worked out the math for a the approaches I suggested so they were less ambigious. I think some anti-town players were able to take advantage of the lack of hard data in the skeletons of the plans I put forth and spin them as bad for the town, thus casting suspicion on me among the general population instead of just the scum population(which was my goal). Maybe I’ll work out the math here, but I’m pretty sure the second approach would give the town a strong chance. The Oracle and Apprentice can investigate disjoint sets of individuals because the Apprentice can work in the open.

Enjoy,
Steven

Now that you say that, that makes perfect sense. I think I’ll be needing some more Subs (like for AZT in particular), and since you don’t have any special knowledge, you’d be eligible to be subbed back in, if you want to be on the sub list. I still have some reading to catch up on, but it’s shaping up to be a very interesting Night.

Yes, looking for a Sub for ArizonaTeach. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

This is is actually the first time I’ve ever run across the Mafia game.

I was sort of vaguely aware of the Mafia IV thread, but never looked in, on the basis I thought it was “some internet forum game thing” :stuck_out_tongue: Not trying to slander the game or anything, but I’d never encountered it before.

I’m not entirely sure I entirely understand it all still. I’ve only skimmed the first 6 pages or so of the ‘V’ thread, I presume as I get time to read the thread further it starts to develop more.

One question I have is what is FOS? I can’t seem to figure it out from the context of it’s usage?

If anyone feels inclined, care to give me a brief precis on how the game works, I’ve wikied it but it didn’t go into real depth?

FOS = Finger of Suspicion. Basically it’s used when you’re not convinced enough to vote for someone or you already have your vote elsewhere.

Essentially, while this is a fairly complex incarnation, you have a small group of “scum” who work together and kill a player each night, and a large group of “townies” who, combined with the scum, vote during the day to try to kill a potential scum. It’s basically a battle of superior numbers versus superior knowledge. The scum, knowing who their allies are, could defend them and could vote out townies, but if they did they’d easily be found out and get voted out by superior numbers. The game goes through repeating cycles of Day and Night until one of the ending conditions is met, usually where the town wins when ALL of the scum are dead or the scum when when they are no longer out-numbered.

This particular incarnation has several “power roles” which have various powers, including investigation (where they can determine someone’s role at night), killing (where, they can also kill a player at night besides the scum), and protection (where they can keep scum and other killing roles from killing at night).

If you’re just learning about the game, because this is a complicated version, you may be better off going back and reading the initial werewolf thread or going to mafiascum.net and reading through some rules and games there.

I’m not sure it would be wise to put me right back in the game. They just managed to get rid of me. I’ll keep an eye on it and if you’re having trouble getting subs I may be willing to do so in a couple Days or so. I think the wounds, or the perception thereof, may be too fresh for an immediate resurrection. I thank you for the thought though.

Enjoy,
Steven