Fuck Alberta

Can’t have that, Alberta has elected to bury its head in the (oil)sand and not diversify. Alberta is the sunniest province in Canada and has tons of space for solar farms? Fuck that, “green” energy might hurt the oil patch despite the fact that most of the remote sites have some sort of solar for gen backup! Can’t have wind farms because the same reason? I guess the 3600 GWH of power doesn’t count, nor the fact we could sell power to the US. I swear the entire UCP was oxygen starved at birth, and don’t even get me started on the attitudes of the right wing fucksticks who would rather vote an empty can of Pepsi into office than vote for their own best interests…

Not that I disagree with the general sentiment of slagging antediluvian politicians and the voters who keep electing them, but Alberta does have wind and solar power generation.

Cite for wind power. 957 turbines with 1685MW capacity. Another cite for wind power.

Cite for solar power. While Ontario takes solar MUCH more seriously than Alberta – 1405 GWh vs. 14 GWh [cite](see 2020 chart about 1/4 way down the page) – Alberta’s got significantly more solar than any other province.

Could Alberta do more with its renewable resources? I’m sure. But the oil-besotted politicians haven’t quite kept energy progress out of Alberta altogether.

I read it as bicycles now ruling over people as a form of wheeled royalty.

You’re probably right to do so, in which case the more appropriate correction might have been “Free RUN.” But this invocation of royal prerogatives is stupid, and I’m making it my mission to nick it in the butt.

No kidding. Some idjits in Alberta are always spouting this kind of bullshit. I like to point out that they should go ahead; Stop selling their most valuable export. See whose economy collapses first. Hint: We can start purchasing gas on the open world market, delivered to ports and just keep the Trans Mountain pipeline shut.

Morons.

Meanwhile gas prices in Vancouver are the highest in Canada. But the tree-huggers still hate pipelines.

So you think that high gas prices in Vancouver are entirely due to a lack of pipeline capacity?

Just how fucking stupid are you?

Do you mean the hatred for tankers and refinery capacity?

I’m in Canada, and not a fan of Alberta politics. And their oil fetish.

You’ll need to gas up if you want to move the goalposts some more.

Thanks for answering my question.

A; “Very”

Just so no one thinks silence is assent, just going to pop in to say, nope, not convinced and don’t agree. Over and out

Is this a crack about mimes?

That’s nice. But not particularly persuasive, since you didn’t even try to address any of the points that were made, and didn’t even look at the CBS News investigatory report, since it doesn’t suit your preconceived fancies. (Of course the CBS News bit only documents for Americans what Canadians – especially those English Quebecers who have not yet moved out – already know through lived experience.)

K364, I can understand why you didn’t respond to E_P’s 2nd question, but why did you avoid the 1st?

(Ah, so post #12 wasn’t snerk, then) Meh, this tree-hugger has to deal with the cards we got as far as location location location is concerned.
Initally focussing on Victoria, this article then broadens out to the BC’s petroleum economy. Pretty good read - too much to quote from.

oh those darned regulations drivng up gas prices grrrrrr!

My relatives live in rural BC and I can tell you that every family there has 3 cars, 2 atv’s, and a boat.

Alberta produces the fossil fuels you love.

Nice neighbourhoods! I could provide anecdotal stuff MUCH otherwise.
Those regulations stated in my previous post are maybe a good starting point as a reason for BC “loving” gas a whole shitload less than Alberta, maybe.

Okay, fair enough. But let’s look at what happens to Alberta at the same time:

Day One: the oil companies lay off essentially everybody in Alberta, because there’s no fucking way they’re wasting money on employees when they have no sales.

Days Two Through Whatever: Albertans complain endlessly about how this is all Justin’s fault.

Great - I was hoping to post a “to give credit where it’s due” post and link to a website of an Alberta non-profit fighting racism, but the url is not secure.
(The Alberta Civil Liberties Research Centre)
Hopefully more similar entities will happen in the province to stay on top of its growing racism problem.

Seriously, my point is that frustrating the production and distribution of fossil fuels without having an alternative in place will end up crippling the economy for the entire country… and how’s that going to help the development of alternative energy sources?