Fuck ! My oven just caught on fire !

Fuck ! Fuck ! Fuck !

Four fucking days 'til Thanksgiving, a 25 pound bird, stuff to bake bread, pie, and danish and this afternoon my oven caught on fire !

FUCK !

There is NO way that I’m going to be able to buy a new oven, get it delivered and have the propane company get it hooked up in time.

I can’t even use the stupid burners ! What am I supposed to do about just simple cooking for my family for mundane things like lunches ?

No one got hurt, and my house is still here, so that’s good. But what a fucking inconvience !

Visit the neighbours. They may have oven-time to spare.

Why can’t you use the burners?

What caught on fire, specifically? If it was a buildup of interior stuff, then a cleaning should suffice.

Since you said propane, then there might be an appliance component which failed.

Tell me more!

I’m sorry - I’m just focusing on the title and envisioning the doper who looks into their kitchen, sees their oven on fire and immediately runs to the 'puter to post the details…
(I’d personally opt for take out at that point)

Well, to be honest, we don’t know much about what happened exactly.

I was baking cookies all day long and when I went to turn the oven off, it didn’t turn off.

At first I didn’t realize it was still on. We ordered a pizza for dinner and while we were in the kitchen eating, the husband kept saying how hot it was, then the smoke dectors started going off.

We shut down the propane, but it kept burning and didn’t go out until we unplugged it. It is a propane oven, but it’s got an electric ignition.

We called the propane company and they told us to keep the oven shut down and don’t use any of it. They’re coming to look at it tomorrow, but he said it didn’t sound good.

Fried turkey, grilled veggies, ice cream or store-bought pie, and ask the neighbors if they’d have oven time for stuffing. For that matter, the baked items could be done a couple days in advance, and you can probably borrow someone’s oven then. That’s my suggestion at least.

Me too. :smiley:

I fully expected to have to post “PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT!”

Get an outdoor turkey fryer. Most SAMS Club, Walmart and home improvement type stores carry them.

Time to fire up the BBQ. :smiley:
P.S. - I only learned about the existance of turkey fryers this year, mostly due to the fact that they too tend to get set on fire. Keep an eye on it if you get one!

You also need to use them outdoors, NEVER use a turkey fryer indoors or leave it unattended.
We’re making a cajun-fried turkey this year. /drool

Last year, my parents’ oven cacked out immediately before my mom attempted to cook the Christmas turkey in it.

Fortunately, they were house sitting for the neighbours.

So picture my mom running down the block with no coat on, carrying a cooked turkey, at 4:00 PM Christmas day.

On December 27, they had a new oven.

I had a mental image of dragon girl in the simverse going about her daily life when all of a sudden, the oven is ablaze and she starts babbling in simbabble!

As someone who’s had this happen, first I’d say calm down. [with mine, the electric heating element in the oven decided to melt down when my wife was cooking. I put her through no end of teasing about it: “Dear, you cook the food, Not the oven.” ]

First: the gas people haven’t even looked at it. it might be repairable with some new parts. Mine was & with part numbers (save all that owners manual crap; this is where it pays off) you can tell who has what in stock & if they Fedex.

If they condemn the oven, you should still have burners. This means you have side dishes and other meat dishes. Possible ‘Save The Turkey’ theme’d dinner party.

Neighbors oven time: Brilliant Idea. Its close & cost effective (who’d charge???). Few beers while roasting that 25 lb Bird-zilla might keep the TP out of your trees next Halloween.

BBQ Grill: Martha Stewart might be able to, but for the rest of us non-insider-trading Mortals it would be a heck of a challenge. Kreskin sees you using a canister of propane, drinking a case of beer & Still ordering out.

Turkey Cooker: Very chic, but semi dangerous. Need to build a frame with crank handle to lower turkey into Boiling Oil (See Famous Tortures of the Crusades) and then raise it out again afterwards. Oil is heated by a high intensity open flame source. (See Richard Pryor, ‘Coke’ 1981; See Michael Jackson ‘Pepsi’ 1983) Potential for personal scarring is greater than cooking bacon in the Nude.

Catering: Do you have VISA?

As someone who’s had this happen, first I’d say calm down. [with mine, the electric heating element in the oven decided to melt down when my wife was cooking. I put her through no end of teasing about it: “Dear, you cook the food, Not the oven.” ]

First: the gas people haven’t even looked at it. it might be repairable with some new parts. Mine was & with part numbers (save all that owners manual crap; this is where it pays off) you can tell who has what in stock & if they Fedex.

If they condemn the oven, you should still have burners. This means you have side dishes and other meat dishes. Possible ‘Save The Turkey’ theme’d dinner party.

Neighbors oven time: Brilliant Idea. Its close & cost effective (who’d charge???). Few beers while roasting that 25 lb Bird-zilla might keep the TP out of your trees next Halloween.

BBQ Grill: Martha Stewart might be able to, but for the rest of us non-insider-trading Mortals it would be a heck of a challenge. Kreskin sees you using a canister of propane, drinking a case of beer & Still ordering out.

Turkey Cooker: Very chic, but semi dangerous. Need to build a frame with crank handle to lower turkey into Boiling Oil (See Famous Tortures of the Crusades) and then raise it out again afterwards. Oil is heated by a high intensity open flame source. (See Richard Pryor, ‘Coke’ 1981; See Michael Jackson ‘Pepsi’ 1983) Potential for personal scarring is greater than cooking bacon in the Nude.

Catering: Do you have VISA?

If you have a house you can roast a turkey in the Propane BBQ on the patio. You just have to keep an eye on the temperature because there is usually not a thermostat.

Ah yes, one year the Blink household’s oven broke in November. My mother ended up using an ancient toaster oven (almost as big as our vintage 1982 microwave) to cook lasagna.

As God is my witness, I shall never have lasagna on Thanksgiving again!

My solution would be to not have turkey.

But for some odd reason, most people can’t accept that solution.

A couple of years ago my brother in law used their BBQ to cook the Thanksgiving turkey. Best turkey I’ve had in ages and took less time, too. Otherwise, don’t they sell pre-cooked turkeys?

This will be an amusing anecdote in a couple of weeks, so don’t panic too much!

It’s Thanksgiving; be thankful that your fucking house didn’t burn down with you in it.