just saw this:

• go to google translate
  • enter some dots
  • translate to Japanese
  • click on listen

That is oddly hilarious.

:: nods ::

W-why is it so musical?

There are at least twice as many syllables as dots.

Japan is weird.

uh, I get nothing?

HA!

“Do. Do-do, do-do, do.” She sounds kind of hungover. :smiley:

HA! i tried “DO DO DO DO DO” and it somehow came out without repetitive syllables. “222222222222222” - she sounds so happy just reading a number, but try “uuuuuuuuuuuuuu” and you’ll hear a sound of exasperation.

It’s just some voice chanting da-dot da-dot dat-dot in a Japanese accent.

Must be a karaoke version of De Do Do Do De Da Da Da.

Is that… No it… It can’t be, can it?.. Is that Bemo from Adventure Time?!

You guys know about German beat boxing right?

1. Go to Google Translate
  2. Select from German to German
  3. Enter ‘pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk’
  4. Click listen

to be more accurate, it’s the transliteration of the word ‘dot’ to Japanese. it’s remarkable because the translation software did not simply replay the same wave file out of context, or at least it is to me. it’s certainly a big step up from the robotic voice i remember from old speech to text software.

That was amazing.

Google Translate needs to put together a studio album.

Google will become self-aware and start rocking our world at 2:14 am, EDT, August 4, 2017.

Also known as J-Pop-Day.

i laughed, but is it wrong that rather than posting something about a wet keyboard i just want to point out that i meant “text to speech” instead? :smack:

の.

:confused: Google Translate does not seem to have a Listen (or anything similar) button for me. There is a “Read phonetically” button, but that just gives a Romanized version of the Japanese (in this case, yet another row of dots). Is this something that only works on phones?

It worked on both the mobile (iPhone) and classic (desktop) versions of translate.google.com for me.

There’s no little speaker icon in the bottom right corner of the translated dots?

Also, maybe it requires javascript or something, do you have it turned off or any other blockers?

This is too fun!

Nope, no speaker icon and JavaScript is not blocked. I am in an up to date version of Firefox. I do block Flash, but that normally shows where the Flash app was (even Flash that is normally hidden from view) and I can click on it to unblock it.

Hmm, OK, it worked in IE.