In college I worked in the library and checked out books to a lovely Asian girl named Yin Yang. (I think she went by Claire, but Yin Yang was on her ID card).
Also in college I had a friend named Peter Johnson, and knew a girl named Jenna Kuder (pronounced like ‘cooter’) – her boyfriend’s last name was Banger, although I forget his first name. Can you imagine the wedding announcement?
Working in a call center for the past two years, I’ve run across some unusual names – I once had to fax an invoice to the attention of “Lord”. I just could not make myself address it “Dear Lord,” and went with “Dear Sir or Madam” instead. But my favorite one was a phone call from George Pupi. I couldn’t help but sit there snickering like a five-year-old with my mute button on while taking his order (yes, the last name is pronounced “poopy”. I had him spell it for me).
[QUOTE=MrSquishy]
I don’t wish to make fun of the man himself; he’s a pillar of the community. But come on, you might think about going by Harold!
[/QUOTE]
It could be worse. If I knew anybody with that last name, I would refer to him only by his new nickname: Ace.
[QUOTE=MrSquishy]
But come on, you might think about going by Harold!
[/QUOTE]
Sometimes it’s best not to fight it. I knew a guy named John Quitter once. He told me that the correct pronunciation was French: Kee-TARE, but he decided he’d sound like a self-conscious ass trying to get people to say it right all the time.
One of my first jobs as a Data Entry Specialist was inputting class rosters for a company (ELS Enterprises) that managed several English language classes for foreign students. In the year I was there I probably typed 10,000 names of people from all over the world. I always wrote down the funniest ones I came across and shared them with my friends. The all-time funniest name I remember was Bambang Hermawan Wibowo.
[QUOTE=Tikki]
Did she live in La Jolla, CA or at least teach at a college in or around San Diego? I just read in a Mike Mailway column last week that Dr. Seuss, the author/illustrator, lived in La Jolla but there was also a Dr. Suess also living there, who was a professor and famous in her* own right for something or other. They often recieved each other’s mail by mistake. I’ve tried to find the column online but all I get so far is about the recent death of the original Mike Mailway. I’ll have to go through TikkiDad’s stash of old Seattle P-I’s to find it.
*It might possibly be a him, actually, in which case, disregard the above.
[/QUOTE]
Nope, she’s in Florida and I’m pretty sure she’s till there since I did a search for her before posting to check the spelling.