Funny sign juxtapositions

In Brick, NJ, there is a sign on Brick Boulevard that originally read “Reduced Speed Ahead”

Someone covered up the " uced S d" letters with stickers.

It now reads “Red Pee Ahead”

I now laugh every time the speed limit reduces.

In Van Horn, Texas, just off I-10, there is a gas station/convience store. In big black letters on the side of the building visible from the highway is “Diesel Fried Chicken”

A reader board in front of a convenience store just outside of Las Vegas read:

WE FAX
HOT DOGS

And just recently, I saw this in my hometown on the front of a Baskin-Robbins, not really juxtaposition, but I thought it was funny:

THEY TOLD ME TO CHANGE
THE READER BOARD
SO I DID

As I was driving back home today, I saw a sign in front of Shutterbug that read:

DIGITAL CAMERA SALE
ONE HOUR $6.99

For a brief second, I truly believed that there was, for one hour only, digital cameras for seven bucks. I wanted to clean them out. Bastards.

I remember driving past a mini-mall in Las Vegas that had a gun shop, a pharmacy and a liquor store. The sign read: GUNS DRUGS BOOZE. Great combo! :rolleyes:

This isn’t a sign, but I once heard a radio announcer say the following after a piece on the EgyptAir crash last year:

“so, a sad day for the families of the victims . . . but a great day in traffic! Over to our eye in the sky . . .”

We have one of those here in Indiana except its worded:

EAT HERE
GET GAS

In my town someone decided to put a sticker on a stop sign right below the word stop, it said forgetting.

In the comic-book Mad, was a story about “The Shadow’!”(short for “Shadowskeedeeboomboom”)
In one panel the above juxtaposition was on one sign: EAT & GET GAS." Below that was a gas-station sign: “Messo.” :smiley:
A real juxtaposition I saw was the old RTD bus stop signs. On the signpost were two signs:
RTD BUS
EXCEPT BUSES

There’s a sign painted in crude letters on a window on Kapiolani Boulevard that’s supposed to say:

CONSIGN YOUR FURNITURE HERE

but instead, thanks to some missing letters, it reads:

SIGN YOUR FUTURE HERE

Read “Anguished English” and “More Anguished English” by Richard Lederer. He’s got whole chapters dedicated to funny signs.

Sign on a liquor store marquee on the outskirts of Pittsburgh:

GO PENS
             BEER

Not a juxtaposition, but…

I’ve got a photo (taken in CA) of a big, green highway direction sign that says “REMOTE” above an arrow pointing right. Now if I could just find it…I know it’s around here somewhere…hmmm…

When I unfortunately lived in Vallejo for a time, and had to commute home to San Jose, we used to see the very same sign :slight_smile:

They finally took it down? A crying shame, it was a laugh in an otherwise un-laughable area.

-Sam

A local motel is conveniently located next to a casket store in my town. The sign out front is one of those tall dealies with a sign for the motel and right underneath, the casket store.

Pretty much reads as: Sunnyside Motel and Casket store.

Parking lot always seems pretty full though.

::shudder::

Not a juxtapostion, but there’s a little store in the ghetto up by college that says “Git Yo Chickn, Burgers, Fish!”

It appears to be a restaraunt.

–Tim

Before trading stamps went out of vogue, my parents saw a religious sign just above one for a local kind of trading stamps:
JESUS SAVES
BLUE CHIP STAMPS
A graffito on an abutment for a freeway overpass in downtown Los Angeles had one message (shown in bold) with another appended to it:
JESUS SAVES FROM HELLO DOLLY REVIVALS
:smiley:

I have seen photos of a movie theatre marquee that was showing the following films;

Erin Brockovich
Screwed
My Dog Skip
Should she really win an Oscar for that?!?

at the movie theatre…
An American Tail: Fievel Goes Wet

when we were on our way to New Orleans…
Big Bear Plus with missing letters read “Big ear Pus”
Waffle House missing letters read “Waffle Hose”
McDonald’s sign that said Now Hiring Closers, missing the c said “Now Hiring losers”.

these still give me a chuckle…

There’s a former Grand’s Restuarant in Fort Myers that was bought by the Ft. Myers Moose Lodge. They took down the Grand’s sign, but left everything else and put up their name on the little changeable “specials” sign. So now it says

FT MYERS
MOOSE
LODGE

Drive-Thru

Remind me to snap a picture of it one day.

We went on a drive to Taos, NM and noticed a large quantity of unlikely businesses. One sign read:
FRESH PRODUCE AND MATTRESSES.

Later that day, we ate at a place called:
CAFE AND WRECKER SERVICE.

We came up with a few of our own. My favorite was:
PIT BULLS FOR SALE AND CHILD CARE. LOW DAILY RATES!