Gen. Boykin Is Nuts. Really. Nuts.

Like most of you, I heard about this guy and didn’t get all twisted up over it.

So the guy gives a talk at church, in full military regalia. Don’t think much about it. And he goes on at length regarding his own religious convictions. Takes all kinds, sez I, naught as queer as folk.

Then he gets into the religious implications of the Recent Unpleasantness. Says some very undiplomatic stuff about Islam, giving a distinctly brassy “Onward, Xtian Soldiers” taste to things. OK, now we’re getting into “whaddaya fuckin STUPID?” territory. The last thing on Gods Green we need is to hand Al Jazeera a high ranking American general ranking on Muhammed.

As for his suggestion that God intervened to place Fearless Misleader in the Oval Office…[the as yet unrealized smilie for puking yer guts out]

So I’m pretty steamed, but getting over it, till I find a cite from the Daily Howler and find part of the story has been lightly passed over. To wit:

ARKIN (10/16/03): In June of 2002, Jerry Boykin stepped to the pulpit at the First Baptist Church of Broken Arrow, Okla., and described a set of photographs he had taken of Mogadishu, Somalia, from an Army helicopter in 1993.
The photographs were taken shortly after the disastrous “Blackhawk Down” mission had resulted in the death of 18 Americans. When Boykin came home and had them developed, he said, he noticed a strange dark mark over the city. He had an imagery interpreter trained by the military look at the mark. “This is not a blemish on your photograph,” the interpreter told him, “This is real.”

“Ladies and gentleman, this is your enemy,” Boykin said to the congregation as he flashed his pictures on a screen. “It is the principalities of darkness… It is a demonic presence in that city that God revealed to me as the enemy.”

Los Angeles Times

Let me get this straight. Gen. Boykin thinks he took a photograph of a “demonic presence”.

Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence. Thinks that The Exorcist is a documentary.

This is a man who has given years of honorable service to his country, apparently at great cost to his reason. He deserves an easeful retirement of leisure close to the bosom of his family. At the earliest possible opportunity.

I saw the same thing in that WTC photo.

It’s real, I assure you. :rolleyes:

Just tell me they don’t keep him within 500 miles of the Big Red Button…please?

A bright note. There was no mention of “precious bodily fluids”.

Retirement in Alcatraz… for endangering the lives of US soldiers in Iraq.

You do know that Alcatraz hasn’t been used as a prison for more than half a century, now, right? It’s a state park now. He’d make an interesting tour guide, though.

LOL, Good one :smiley:

[Boykin] Rummy, get me a glass of grain alcohol and filtered rainwater…[/Boykin]

I’m officially tittering. Enough about me.

There was a fun little side article in “Time” (11/3, pp. 30-31)about Boykin bringing groups of pastors to his “Super FAITH Force Multiplier Session” (yes, that’s the real name) bible camps, to be held “at North Carolina’s Fort Bragg, where he was running the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School.” Funny, most church meetings don’t involve demos of “how ‘Special Forces attack the enemy inside buildings (live fire/real bullets).’”

The Americans for the Seperation of Church and State protested, and the pentagon scaled the whole thing back a bit. The best part: this was in fucking APRIL, so the DoD knew there would be trouble. But they will pander to the hard right even if it means turning America into a smoking crater.

BTW, the article also says “he likes to hunt and collect rocks.” So he’s not all about killing and having religious delusions.

Wow. That’s really, really crazy. Paging Corporal Klinger, General Boykin wishes to speak with you.

He stalks rocks?

Many of the rocks also resemble Satan.

Sounds like a cheap Voltron knock-off.

“Look! Bin Laden has unleashed another Tali-Bot! Super Faith Force Multiplier Team GO!”

With the greatest of respect to you as always, 'luce, I’d be really stoked to see the whole article. Not to put too fine a point on it, cite, please. :g:

Put on your full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Eph 6:11-12

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1 Cor 2:14

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for ** there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities who exist have been established by God.**
Rom 13:1

So, Boykin says God chose Bush for President, hmmm, okay, fits with scripture. Boykin says that our battle is with Satan, hmmm, okay, fits with scripture. Boykin thinks a picture demonstrates spiritual essence. Can’t say yeah or nay on that one. But, to those who don’t believe in Satan, well, scripture is clear on that point as well.

Sounds like Boykin has a strong faith in the God of the Bible. This does not make him nuts; rather, it makes you, by your reaction, spiritually blind.

As for his distinctly undiplomatic comments re: Islam, bear in mind he was specifically referring to the Somali Warlord
who claimed Allah’s protection, NOT Islam per se. Later comments he makes clarify this point, as he takes great pains to mention that the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful. You’d think he’d be commended for distinguishing between the likes of the militants and the greater Muslim world itself, but people will read into it what they want.

As for Boykin being responsible for the Islamic militants not liking us, boo hoo. As if they did anyway. Where in hell have you people been for the last twenty years? Think the phrase “The Great Satan” was invoked by a Christian against Muslims? Bah. Khomeini, Hussein, bin Laden, none of these fanatics liked us before Gen. Boykin’s remarks met the light of day. Funny how the Egyptian Foreign Minister, the Afghan President, and the Prime Minister of Malaysia, all Muslim leaders, can make truly hateful comments about the Jews, but somehow, they’re never deemed to represent “true” Islam. Nice double standard. The same folks who conveniently disregard the defense of Kuwait, Kosovo, Bosnia (all Muslim) continue the drumbeat about the WAR AGAINST ISLAM. It isn’t, but once you get people conditioned to believe something, man, it sticks. Think simple examples like J.Edgar Hoover as a cross-dresser, and PI in the Bible. Truth doesn’t even matter. And that’s just here, in smart, sophisticated America.

http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh102703.shtml

the “Daily Howler” is where I got the story, which is, as I referenced above, harumph! from the LA Times, dated Oct. 16, 2003. Written, apparently, by someone named Arkin.

I went to the LA Times site and they list the story but want me to fork over $$$. Crime doesn’t pay, and neither do I.

Watch the kiddie presentations around him - one shadow-puppet theatre act and he’ll totally wig.

How can someone who believes this support our conflict in Iraq? Wasn’t the entire stated goal to overthrow the governing authorities?

Be on your guard against false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but underneath are wolves on the prowl. You will know them by their deeds. …

How the fuck does that fit with scripture?

Or battle is supposed to be with terrorism. Scripture and Satan have fuck-all to do with it. As a matter of fact, any administration which was attempting to “battle Satan” would be in flagrant violation of the Constitution.

Scripture is clear that Boykin took a picture of “dark forces?” Cite please.

No omne gives a shit about his faith. What makes him nuts is that he thinks he’s in a literal battle with Satan and that he thinks he photographed a “demonic force.” These are delusions and a delusional person has no business leading a military action in a culturally sensitive region of the world.

Bullshit. He specifically said that the God of Islam was an “idol.” He insulted our allies and gave fodder to the perception that the “War on terror” is really a war on Islam.

The “Great Satan” types don’t represent Islam even remotely. There are over a billion Muslims in the world out of which a few thousand at most are militant radicals or terrorists. In case you can’t do the math, that’s less than one thousandth of one percent of all Muslims.

There seems to be an insinuation in your post that you actually believe that this is some kind of holy war. Well it isn’t and that characterization has been flatly and repeatedly repudiated by GWB himself, so apart from being hallucinatory and offensive, Gen. Boykin’s statements are also insubordinate and have undermined his own official mission. He should either be retired or given a job driving a desk somewhere away from the warzone. He is a danger to the lives of his own soldiers at this point.

You fuckin’ serious?