Gender and grapefruit

The very best grapefruit is raised right here where I live. If you have the chance to try the Rio Red grapefruit, give it a shot. It is much, much sweeter and less acidic than most other grapefruits. Sorry Florida and California–the Tip of Texas has you beat on this one!

I’m still scandalized by his blasphemous placement of bananas on that chart.

Awwwwwwww. Yes!

Based on the current results… Finally! Equality between the sexes. I’m off to celebrate with some dark beer and a white wine spritzer.

Yes, it’s pretty amazing how similar the results are between the sexes:

Women
Love it!         26%
Like it          29%
Meh              15%
Don't like it    15%
Hate it          14%

Men            
Love it!         29%
Like it          32%
Meh              11%
Don't like it    14%
Hate it          14%

Before starting this poll, I was expecting an imbalance, where women like grapefruit more than men (based on my circle of friends/family), but I guess ignorance has been fought.

Far too bitter for my taste.

+1

Depending on their ages and inclinations, perhaps they fell for The Grapefruit Diet.

It does depend on the grapefruit. Fresh-shipped from Florida are delightful.

So El Paso is home of the bastards who destroyed grapefruit by making them sweet. That’s not a grapefruit, that’s an abomination.

Nothing personal & partly kidding. See my earlier post.

:DNot El Paso, though (that’s my former home). Much further south in the Rio Grande Valley by the gulf!:stuck_out_tongue:

Male here.

I wasn’t sure how to answer this poll. I like grapefruit, but I haven’t been able to eat any in years because it conflicts with certain medication I’ve been taking.

More GQ than IMHO: A couple of people have mentioned that in this thread. Would you mind explaining? Why grapefruit specifically? Are other citrus fruits contraindicated for certain meds? Not snarky, just :confused:

Answer that you like it. The poll doesn’t ask whether you are eating it or not due to some restrictions (medication or living in an area without them), it just asks you if you like it.

I don’t have a cite as to whether this is actually true, but I remember a friend telling me that it was bad to take decongestants (and possibly other medication) with grapefruit juice because something about grapefruit increases the effect of the drugs. I think it’s supposed to make your body absorb more of the drug.

As for the OP, I chose “like it”, but my full answer is a bit more nuanced: I like grapefruit and grapefruit juice well enough, but at the same time I also think it’s kind of nasty. The only other food I feel this was about is spinach. When I eat it, I think “This tastes bad, but I like it.” I don’t know why.

Well, I answered my own question. Grapefruit messes with the enzymes that metabolize drugs in the digestive system. Here is a link:

The good news is my ignorance has been fought. The bad news is that I take one of the drugs they list, so now I can’t eat grapefruit either. Good think I voted “Male - Meh” on the poll!:slight_smile:

I’m not so keen on EATING grapefruit, but I LOVE grapefruit juice. LOVE IT!!

This is me. I’ve never, ever had grapefruit that ranged beyond “so bitter as to be unpalatable.” Now I’m seeing replies in this thread that are all “they’re too sweet!” and I’m thinking “the hell are you people talking about?”

To be fair, though, it’s been years since I’ve had it.

Either grapefruits are getting smaller or oranges are getting bigger. I bought a couple of giant oranges once that turned out to be orange-y colored grapefruits.

Girl, and ewwickgrodytothemax.