Genealogy Question.

My father has a cousin, they are less than two years difference in age. This means that they both have the same set of grandparents, and that their respective parents were siblings. I have always called this man uncle, eventhough I know that he is not really my uncle.

What is this man’s relation to myself?

How about his children? Are they my second cousins?

That guy is your second cousin once removed, and his children are your second cousins.

Hmmm…not sure about that, Friedo. Take a look at this chart.

That guy is your FIRST cousin once removed, and his children are your second cousins.

Actually, he is your first cousin once removed, but you are right that the children would be second cousins.

He’s your first cousin once removed. His children are your second cousins. It’s perfectly correct to address him as your uncle, since he’s from your father’s generation.

This co-worker was trying to explain to us the relationship between her and this man the rest of us knew as a customer.

The woman’s husband’s step mother was a sister of the customer. So we decided the proper form of address was “Uncle step Floyd.” At least for the co-worker’s husband.:smiley:

If they both have the same set of grandparents, they’d be siblings. If they are cousins, they have one set of grandparents in common, and each has another set not shared by the other.

I’m surprised no one caught this…

“Removed” operates in one direction only - from older to newer generations, and not the other way around. So, Chicago Faucet is “Uncle’s” first cousin once removed, but “Uncle” is CF’s father’s first cousin. “Uncle’s” children are Papa Faucet’s first cousins once removed and Chicago Faucet’s second cousins. To those aforementioned children, Papa Faucet is “Uncle’s” first cousin.

Chefguy’s chart is a tad confusing, but it becomes clearer when you give “Uncle” and Papa Faucet a value of 2 (as grandchildren of a common ancestor) and Chicago Faucet and “Uncle’s” children a value of 3 (as great-grandchildren of a common ancestor).

I don’t think that’s universally accepted, Olentzero. My genealogy software (Reunion) uses “removed” in both directions.

I’ve always heard it working in both directions, too. Genealogy.com agrees with this

Okay. So let me get this straight.

My father and this man are first cousins.

Myself and this man are first cousins once removed.

Likewise, my father and his offspring are also first cousins once removed.

Myself and his offspring are second cousins.

Right?

Correct, the assertion of Olentzero notwithstanding.

Actually, just because this guy and your father are relatively the same age does not necessarily mean that they are from the same generation. In my family there are several cases in which people from a previous generation are actually younger than people from a subsequent generation.

Right. Age has no bearing on generationality. My son’s first cousin once removed is only a year older than him, and twenty eight years younger than my wife, her first cousin.

So while they are of the same social generation (Generation Z?), they are of different generations in relation to Angelo (my wife’s grandfather).

A good way of looking at it is: Mrs. Magill and Jamie have the same grandfather, so they are first cousins. Jamie’s grandfather is Pinky Magill’s great-grandfather, so they are removed by a generation, thus they are first cousins-once removed.

Clear as mud?

Here’s a generalization of the situation.

A and U are siblings. A has a child B, U a child V. B and V then go on to have children, C and W respectively.

The relationships are as follows:
A-B parent-child
A-C parent-grandchild
A-U siblings
A-V aunt/uncle and nephew/niece
A-W great-aunt/uncle and great-nephew/niece
B-C parent-child
B-U niece/nephew and aunt/uncle
B-V first cousins (in older books, “cousins german”)
B-W first cousins once removed
C-U great-nephew/niece and great-aunt/uncle
C-V first cousins once removed
C-W second cousins

If W has a child X, then:
A is X’s great-great-aunt/uncle
B is X’s first cousin twice removed
C is X’s second cousin once removed

Add in C’s child D, and D and X become third cousins.

Aaah, I don’t like it, but I’ll go with it for now. It just seems odd to me that both the grandchildren and the grandparents of your third cousin can be your third cousin, twice removed.

Disregard that last post. My thinking got hopelessly tangled.