George Lucas is even more evil than we thought.

I’m not sure if it’s prudishness or just political correctness.

Yeah, but he’s a pervert, dude.
8-year olds, dude.

It’s clear that people who say this haven’t watched any movies (or TV shows) geared towards teens for a long time.

Y’know, come to think of it, nothing is “unthinkable” or “unspeakable”, if someone can, well, think it and speak it, is it?

Brainstorming for Return of the Jedi

George Lucas: So I was thinking we could give Han Solo more of a backstory with why Jabba’s angry with him.

Lawrence Kasdan: He owes him money

George Lucas: Yeah, but you know that little rat looking thing with big ears? The thing that does nothing but sit at Jabba’s feet and cackle?

Lawrence Kasdan: Yeah…

George Lucas: Han was boning it.

Lawrence Kasdan: WHAT?!

George Lucas: Straight up boning the little guy like a Philipino shemale prostitute. Bought it little dresses and everything. It’s why Jabba isn’t pissed off just about the money.

Lawrence Kasdan: There’s something wrong with you, George.

It seems strange to me the implication from numerous posts here that people think writers can’t discuss having their characters do illegal and immoral and disgusting things. It’s not as if such things don’t happen in real life. And they happen in movies all the time.

My issue and the reason I wrote the OP, is more of a sense that the movie worlds of my childhood are being destroyed. The Force turns out to be a damn bacterial infection, Darth Vader is a whiny little bitch, and now Indiana Jones is a pedophile?!!!

I wasn’t particularly aiming my post at you.

But even if I was, what you say makes no sense in context. We’re talking about discussions concerning what the character was going to be. They considered making IJ a pedo and decided against it. It’s like saying that the Statue of Liberty is a statue of a guy on a horse carrying a flag because that’s one of the concepts the designers thought of but decided against.

“sense in context”?!! I just want to bitch about George Lucas :slight_smile:

Yes…at one point the parents give their ages, and if you do the math, you find out that they were teenagers when they had their first daughter. Interesting little detail I didn’t even notice for a long time…but it explains the gap between the first daughter and the two younger kids.

I’d heard this before, namely on Cracked.com and other places. And icky, yes, but it didn’t end up like that, so whatever.

But I don’t even understand how it was wrong in the finished version. How is it wrong for a 28 YO to have sex with an 18 YO or even a 17 YO? What was wrong was the way he came in and out of her life and left her waiting at such a young age. Not exactly following the campground rule!

There’s also the fact that she was his mentor’s daughter. I’m guessing Professor Ravenwood was none too happy when he found out his star student & potential successor was banging his teenage daughter in the evenings. There’s a pretty serious betrayal of trust right there.

I think the problem is that there’s a very clear implication that all they were doing was fucking each other’s brains out.

If Indy was courting her, that would have been totally cool (and Ravenwood probably would have been thrilled that his protege wanted to marry his daughter). But that’s not what was happening at all.

Too late to edit:

And I know it’s a bad idea to bring “Crystal Skull” into this, but remember when Indy said to Oxley “They’re going to kill Abner’s little girl” ? Implying that Indy knew Marion from her childhood, which makes their relationship even more skeevy. If you’re 21 and meet and come to know an 11 year old girl, starting a sexual relationship with her when she turns 17 is frowned upon in some circles.

I’d like to know when Patton Oswalt is going to go ahead and give George that shovel.

That’s pretty much the ages of my parents when they first met. They’ve been married for about forty years now.

I don’t so much find it disturbing that Lucas considered making Indy a pedo. It’s weird, but within the bounds of brainstorming.

Whats really disgusting is that Lucas evidently thinks a 10-11 year old child can “have an affair” with an adult.

Wow, that one guy totally pitched Rapebear to the wrong Raiders co-producer.

What age did they start dating though, if you don’t mind my asking?

I did not get that impression. I assumed that Oxley thought of her as “Abner’s little girl”, and Indy was using Oxley’s own words to try to get through to him.