Get off my plane, mind-melded Fundie zealots!

Sounds like you ran into my sister in law and a bunch of her friends. The JW’s aren’t allowed to go to her house anymore because she’s converted too many of them. If we can be in a room for five minutes and not have her go all evangelical on my ass THAT is a freaking miracle.

She has undergone an “evangelical whiteout” - this happens when a person goes from what would be considered living a debacherous “sinful” life to living the life of one of those upstanding, speaking in tongues, all praise be to gawd christians. Everyone and most things are sinful now.

When a member of our family was diagnosed with AIDS she said it was punishment for living an immoral life.

I don’t go out of my way to visit her… go figure.

Satan, sorry to hear about your crappy airport experience. At least you weren’t sitting near them!

My question is: what is the book you’re reading? Sounds interesting.

I’m lucky, I manage to avoid most of the crazier Fundies…

On my college campus, I can always recognize them a mile away, and I’d be ensnared by them if I didn’t have a strong defense: Headphones. Headphones and lack of eye contact. Just keep staring at the ground, straight ahead, and keep walking…

Because you’re a raging post padder?

Coldy, get this… he aint even a saint anymore. what did he do, smoke crack in the rectory?

can anyone explain this one?

• “I’ve got the biggest fucking hat of them all, so I must be important. Who do you think I am?”
  • “I dunno, the fucking lead singer of Los Lobos maybe?? What is UP with the church? The entire hierarchy is based on the size of fucking hats!”

Are we gonna do another Leary Hijack [sup]TM[/sup], Larrigan?

:smiley:

For more stick on car-fishies, try http://www.EvolveFISH.com/fish/emblems.html.

“That’s not religion - it’s superstition.”

—And the difference is . . . ?

Exactly – people who think the universe revolves around them.

“Coincidence is the evidence of the True Believer”
- Chet Reymo

Sounds like the same group who actually linked hands across me and prayed loudly during takeoff a couple years ago. I thought it over and decided not to hurt them.

Um, I’m fairly sure that if you were doing me I’d pretty much do the same thing, except maybe more yelling than praying. Sounds like a normal reaction to me.

Reminds me of a chat I once had with a friend of mine. At some point he became a fundamentalist Christian and we had a falling out, but I ran into him a while after that. I was just making conversation and asked:

“I heard you quit smoking.”

“Yea…I mean, no; He took it away from me.”

“Um, so, uh, did you quit smoking?”

“No; He took it away from me.”

“Oh, so…Do you smoke or do you not smoke?”

“No, I prayed to the Lord and He took my addiction away from me.”

Whatever.

Satan said, “While waiting, I see a bunch of people wearing some ministries tee-shirt.”

Ministry rocks. I think you had a typo or something since I have never heard of a band being plural. I especially liked the album A mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste. MMMM. Thieves. Thieves are liars. Murderers. etc.

Satan also said, “Maybe spark an intelligent discussion.”

Well as we all know, Ministry fans aren’t necessarily the brightest bulb in the lamp. They were probably on acid. It was my experience that people who liked industrial music also liked to alter their conscioussness that way. This is even more evident when you say, “The thought that whatever money they spent on this trip could have been better spent.” Somehow you must of known that subconsciously but are just being dense for some reason.

Satan later said, “He appears to be holding some medication in his hands - I am guessing for air sickness.”

Is that what they call LSD nowadays. I must really be out of touch. I will have to update my slang dictionary.

“A woman in the group clutches his hands around the pills, gets on her knees and starts very loudly speaking in tongues.”

They even have all the bizarre rituals that habitual drug users do. Wow. I would think it would be funny seeing all the trippies going up on the plane; however, if it was a bad trip, it would completely suck. Can you imagine what they would do if they all collectively saw some type of gremlin trying to tear apart the wings while in the air. I can hear the Twilight Zone in the background.

“Then, everyone else starts going into that trance-like state… And everyone starts praying very loudly for a safe flight.”

Yep, sounds like it was pretty fast acting stuff. I bet they found some type of good supplier. Maybe they were Deadheads and were just leaving one of the latest concerts minus Jerry Garcia. I bet they even changed out of their Deadhead clothes (Tie-dyed T-shirts and blue jeans) to look less conspicuous amongst the mundanes. They get harassed less by the establishment that way. I bet they did it so they would have less of a chance that their drugs would be confiscated. It is how they show their cunning.

“I decided to make it that I would not get talked to by these freaks.”

My, my. You are being quite judgemental. I bet they wondered about your taste in music too. I always thought you liked the Grateful Dead but now it is looking like you are some type of philistine.

“I mean, next time, I am hoping I’ll have a plane full of crying toddlers instead.”

Well, they must have had some religious type of trip. I don’t know if I would have wanted them to have a communal trip where they were all crying toddlers. That would be as bizarre as that Twilight Zone episode that I mentioned earlier.

Well, I suppose now that you have been set straight on that issue, you will not have any more gripes. :slight_smile:

HUGS!
Sqrl

One other thing, so it doesn’t look like I am totally loopy. I transferred from Ministry to the Grateful Dead because of the similarity with their drug of preference. Also, many of my friends who liked Ministry also liked the Grateful Dead.

HUGS!
Sqrl

I feel your pain, Satan, I feel your pain. My job requires me to fly to Eastern Europe quite a bit, and the Fundies have found fertile ground in that Godless post-communist soil. Once when I was trying to get up the aisle to the bathroom my way was blocked by a bunch of them holding hands across the aisle and praying (out loud, of course, always with the praying out loud). When I politely asked them to unclasp for a second so I could pee, I got a few venomous looks and NO ONE MOVED. THEY KEPT THEIR HANDS CLASPED ACROSS THE AISLE and continued to pray - adding a prayer for the impatient and the misguided while I stood there. Apparently, I was the one out of line. I had to call the flight attendant. Damn near wet my pants.

Why the matching T-shirts? Is that to help Jesus sort out the righteous if Judgement Day should come while they are out on their church field trip? Do matching T-shirts help you get into some kind of Apocalyptic Express Lane?

Worse still, it’s spread to my family. Last year every item on my brother’s Christmas list could be found at “The Burning Bush on Route 20 in Sturbridge.” Lots of “music” of the “I found Jesus and he rescued me from having talent” variety. And lots of Jesus-y knicknacks. What’s with the knicknacks? Those gruesome disembodied praying hands? “Footprints in the Sand” shellacked onto a cross-section of an oak tree with the bark still attached?

Ugh. Please, dear Lord, let the rest of my family remain firm in our undemonstrative Catholicism and strong dislike of clutter. Amen.

Satan–just wanted to say that it’s good to see you tearing fundie zealots a new one again. Takes me back.

This always really pisses me off. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the Sermon on the Mount–in my opinion, the central message of Christianity–explained away by Fundie-types. My favorite was, “He was talking about the ultimate Christian attitude and lifestyle–it isn’t actually possible to achieve!”

I also love the God Scoring system, where every good thing is praised out of all proportion, and every bad thing is praised because it isn’t as bad as it could have been. So every home run counts as a grand slam, but every strikeout gets a run because at least it wasn’t a double play.

Dr. J

That was fucking hilarious SqrlCub. Absolutely great. 9.1

Thank you, Thank you.

I aim to please.

HUGS!
Sqrl

Let’s recap. We have the leaders of Israel and Palestine attempting to broker a peace agreement (none too sucessfully, but that another story,) people dying by the thousands in Africa of AIDS, Zaptistas in Mexico disappearing daily, and the lord god almighty is supposed to be spending his Holy Hours working on getting a passenger flight into Charlotte early?

The thing that bugs me about Fundies is their self-centered arrogance. It’s not that “gee, God is powerful,” it’s that “gee, God only cares about ME. Not the other 5.9 billion people in the world. ME. Because I wear the tee shirt that says so.”

Satan, I hate flying. The close quarters, the screaming children, the disease ridden recycled air. But I think that if I was in your situation, I would have flipped out. Congratulations on not attacking anyone.

“Dear Lord, please help this shirt I’m ironing turn out wrinkle-free. Oh, and Dear Lord, please let this milk I’m about to pour on my cereal not be past its expiration date. And Dear Lord, thank you for making my alarm clock go off on time this morning. I set it for 7:02, and through your divine grace and providence, it went off at exactly 7:02. Truly you work in mysterious ways. Dear Lord, please help me squeeze the last of this toothpaste out of the tube. I know how much you hate for us to waste your good gifts to us…”

I grew up in a fundie church, so I know of what you speak.

These are the same type of people that will pray before a high school football and ask God to smote (smite?) the other side, like God really gives a shit about your puke-ass little football game.