Gettysdope V: The Return of Bacon Salt

Whoops. :o Forgot about that. (Used to have the same problem when I was a regular at Balticon, since the date used to depend on when Easter was. They finally got tired of it and settled on Memorial Day weekend.)

How much does the holiday shift around?

This page has the dates for Yom Kippur for the decade from 2006-2016. In those 10 years, the earliest is Sept. 13-14 and the latest is Oct. 11-12. I don’t know exactly what the period is between the Jewish calendar and the Gregorian, so I don’t know if a decade would give the natural earliest and latest.

And of course I’d forgotten that Rosh Hoshanah is in that general time period as well. It’s going to have to be a year-by-year datesetting.

Morgyn writes:

> Used to have the same problem when I was a regular at Balticon, since the
> date used to depend on when Easter was. They finally got tired of it and
> settled on Memorial Day weekend.

Actually, the reason that Balticon (the Baltimore-area science fiction convention) changed from Easter weekend to Memorial Day weekend had nothing to do with the fact that Easter moved around. It was because Disclave (the Washington-area science fiction convention) gave up Memorial Day. The last Disclave was in 1997 and couldn’t find a place to be held, for reasons that would take a while to explain, for three years. The people who ran it couldn’t do a convention again till 2001. That convention now has a new name (Capclave) and is held in October. Balticon organizers had been thinking of moving weekends for some time, but until then any weekends that they wanted were taken by other science fiction conventions that they didn’t want to conflict with. They had been thinking about giving up Easter weekend because too many people wanted to come to Balticon but didn’t want to spend Easter there. When Memorial Day weekend became free, they immediately grabbed it.

September 27th sounds good to me! I’ll mark the calendar.

I know all about the Great Flood of Disclave–I have friends who were in the room next door. Or below, I forget which. I’d forgotten Disclave was Memorial Day weekend, though.

Yom Kippur isn’t until October this year.

The park lady has our reservation for Firemen’s pavilion on the 27th. That has to be paid by August 27th, so there’s time for that.

For those with a good memory, the Firemen’s pavilion is where we were for Gdope II, or a half block north of where we were the last two years.

Yes, I’m bringing chipotle with adobo, and jalapeño chilis. :smiley:

I’ve no idea what we’ll be doing in September, but I’m certainly interested in coming. If I do, I will, of course, bring the gentleman with me

Ginger, but, but, we love you!

I am up for the 27th, it’s in my schedule, and when I get back to work, I will put in the leave request. Very cool. I have missed too many G’dopes.

I am iffy on the before then get togethers, not out of lack of interest, but weekend time is hard to do, and that’s when these things happen. Still, you never know.

Tris

Oh, goody! Kimche!

Robin

Oh, yeah…that’s the BIG pavilion with the playground right beside it.

I think I just got summoned into this thread.

This fall (Anno Mundi 5769) Rosh Hashanah is Sep 29-30-Oct 1, and Yom Kippur is Oct 8-9.

Just as a heads-up for next year (2009 / 5760): Talk Like a Pirate Day is the first day of Rosh Hashanah, Saturday Sep 19. (I would love to put together a MAD Dopefest at Piratz Tavern in Silver Spring for that night, whether or not they hold a TLaPD event.)

I know this is a silly question, but is Gettysdope in Gettysburg? Is this a kid friendly event?

I might be able to talk the family into a long weekend of the Historic sight and the Gettysdope. It is about a 3½ hour ride for us.

It’s at the municipal park in Gettysburg. It IS kid-friendly - the park allows no alcohol, and except for the usual off-color but not even close to obscene Doper sense of humor, it’s a clean event.

Yep, it’s in Gettysburg (at the big state park), and it is definitely family friendly. The pavilion we’ve procured for this year is spittin’ distance from a good play ground. My youngest daughter (now 8) will be attending her fourth Gettysdope this year.

Cool, my son is 8, he usually has fun anytime other kids are around. my daughter will be 11, she won’t have as much fun and will wonder why we are there. :smiley:

It’s only a clean event if MudGirl stays out of the mud puddles. :smiley:

I think this year I will be bringing three types of Kimche!

Woo hoo!

Tris

P. S. We really need to get a goat. No, really. We’ve had a dog there. I want to have a goat.

Tris

danceswithcats’s neighbor down the street has goats. I’ll see if I can get him to borrow or steal one that morning.
Of course, we’ll return it after the Fest.

In pretty much the same shape as when we took it, right?

I’m going to be in the DC and/or Baltimore area from May 15th until the 21st. I have Sunday May 18th completely free on my “business” calendar. If there’s any interest, maybe (please!) someone could organize a small get-together for that day. :slight_smile: