Got VB?

We’re looking for an interface designer who can program in Visual Basic. Outside Chicago (western burbs, just off two tollways), some travel to nice places. The official desires:

The ideal candidate will possess qualities that will enable him/her to be a successful User Interface Designer for ISR, including:

• Minimum 5 years experience as a Graphic Designer
  • Minimum 3 years experience designing user interfaces
  • Experience designing interfaces in a production software environment, including experience with prototyping, user testing and implementation stages.
  • Mastery of Macromedia Flash MX design (including ActionScript creation)
  • Mastery of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
  • Experience designing interfaces for touch-Kiosk applications as well as Web browser interfaces.
  • Experience using Web authoring tools, including familiarity with HTML, XML and JavaScript.
  • Ability to communicate and work well with others
  • Ability to think ahead and realistically plan projects and goals
  • Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
  • Keen attention to detail
  • Ability to meet commitments and respond promptly to customer needs
  • Strong decision making skills / sound and accurate judgment
  • Organized and efficient
  • Degree in a Human Factors Engineering, User Interface Design, Graphic Design or a related field or equivalent combination of education/training and experience

That’s the ideal and, to be honest, we’ve had luck finding people who meet our ideal lately so if you aren’t even close don’t bother. If you ARE close email me and I’ll get you the link.

I see moderator action in four … three … two …

… two and half … two and three quarters …

I don’t see why a mod would close this. We’ve had regular members post honest job openings here before and the threads were allowed to remain open.

So, who’s gonna’ do the obligatory ‘pennicillian’ joke?

Anyway, I once even ASKED and Tuba said it was okay. I don’t abuse it; maybe post one once or twice a year, give it one or two bumps (BUMP!) then let it die. I’ve gotten good leads and even one interview out of this crowd (he ended up with a better job elsewhere).

Hey I got a Q. My husband is a vb programmer and he never really got his career of the ground due to investing in a pizza place that he had to end up taking over. How quickly does one become obsolete? Is it like computers where you can become obsolete as soon as you step out to the showroom floor?

I guess the biggest deal is that he is afraid to fail. He is afraid that someone will expect so much more than he wiould be able to deliver and he would disappoint them. The thing is I know he would work like a dog if he just would shake the interview anxiety and try. Please let me know and sorry about the hijack!!

Okay, this is a reply to the hijack. It depends on the interviewer. Some of them won’t talk to you if you don’t have VERY recent experience, others are more understanding. The market is kind of tight right now, so the understanding ones are rarer. But they exist.

My advice to your husband: study. Get a copy of VB.NET and a book, and go through the lessons in a formal manner. .NET is significantly different from"classic" VB, so allow some time for this. If you feel uncomfortable with it, brush up on the older VB first to get some confidence. Also ASP, which is VB-like.

If I were interviewing candidates, I would be impressed by the entrepreneurial attempt. Don’t minimize it (don’t dwell either). Most important, relax. Hard to do, I know…

Hope this helps.

Oh, and dropzone: would you pay for a relocation? If so, take a look at: http://pages.prodigy.net/lmmblake/larry.html . (Yes, this was done in VB.)

Nvme77: I dunno diddly about VB. I’m just in the same room and have to listen to the VB guy complain about how overworked he is. Bob/Larry makes sense, though.

Bob/Larry: No. They’d like VB.NET, though and if you could paint the walls of a fixed maze with elevations of the actual rooms of the residence…

Thanks ThreeLeggedBob and Dropzone. He is dabbling in some kind of bluescreen software and anikmation software now but I’ll definently pass along the VB.net advice.

Ciao.