Gota Riddle?

My take on the coin puzzle.
In U.S. currency, max value is $12
Minimum value is 12c
Why do you suspect fraud?
If you are certain there is a counterfiet, why complete the transaction?
In my entire life I have never met a merchant who weighed coinage.
Average markup is 15% of wholesale.Training employees in counterfiet detection, substancially more.
Given the education of the average cashier, why not just let them dump all the coins on a computerized scale and remove them one at atime?
since maximim loss in this sitiuation is $1.00 U.S. who cares?

This has been floating around the internet lately but none of the other riddles are too original (and most aren’t even riddles) so here goes:

It’s greater than God
More evil than the Devil
Rich men need it
Poor man have it
If you eat it, you would die

It is a point close to the south pole, 10 miles north of the point where the east to west circumference of the Earth is 10 miles.

Walk 10 miles south to this point. Then walk east 10 miles, taking you all the way around the globe (sort of) and back to the exact spot where you started walking east.

Phill, there is nothing that can answer your riddle.

HA.

Phil,

Didn’t Bj0rn have a whole thread devoted to this?

<<Didn’t Bj0rn have a whole thread devoted to this?>>

I dunno. I haven’t been around long enough to tell. I used to hang out at the AOL site but I lost interest when the site became invaded with folks who didn’t know anything but insisted on answering every question anyway. They didn’t pay attention and made stupid, irrelevant posts. Alas, now I’m one of them.

Here’s two. #1 I read in a book no one has ever heard of but is rather simple and #2 No one I have ever told it to can answer.

1. A wee, wee man in a red, red coat
    A staff in his hand and a stone in his throat
    If you answer this riddle, I’ll give you a groat.

2. A man arrived home from work, noticed the lights were out and knew his mother was dead. How did he know?

This is one of a series of puzzles where a situation is given and you are supposed to solve the puzzle by only asking yes or now questions.

In this case the man knew his mother dead because she was on an iron lung. When the electricity went out, the iron lung stopped working and his mother died.

Here are a couple more in the same vein…
Everyday a man rides the elevator to the first floor, goes to work. On his way home from work he only rides the elevator part way, and walks the rest of the way. When it’s raining, he rides the elevator all the way up to his floor. Why is this?

A man is hiking in the mountains and sees a cabin. Without even opening the cabin door, he knows everybody inside is dead. How does he know?

Enright3

ooops, I mean yes or NO questions.

Enright3

Stark that’s a good one. Took me a while to get it ,now my brain hurts.I disagree with your reasoning for giving Phobia a runner up, but agree with the award. You said ‘start at the sight’ which doesn’t have to mean ‘scared’ walk out of a dark room, or a darkroom,into a Texas noonday sun and you’ll ‘start’. I disagree because its a bit of a stretch for any one to claim sunlight as their own. Just being obnoxious and pedantic ,don’t mind me folks.
Here’s one of those logic word puzzles, it’s old so if you already know it don’t reply. let the others have some fun.
The man was afraid to go home because of the man in the mask.

Enright3
The man was a midget and he couldn’t reach the button for his floor unless he had his umbrella with him.

The american people are very generous people and will forgive almost any weakness, with the possible exception of stupidity.—Will Rogers

Dear Straight Dopefiends,

First, a dumb answer!
How tall is an Indian? TALL ENOUGH TO REACH THE GROUND!
(Audience groans in disgust.)
The others unanswered, I don’t even know.
But here’s a riddle I made up, so I can vouch for its freshness:

A thief in the night
Steals on the sly
Tries to avoid
A jaded eye
Through town and country
He will roam
Through house and church
To a hard-bitten home
Starving the children
Spreading disease
WHAT DOES HE WANT?

I hope this isn’t too easy. Or too hard.
don Jaime
Free the Water Tower 3!

Reply to donJaime :
A thief in the night
Steals on the sly
Tries to avoid
A jaded eye
Through town and country
He will roam
Through house and church
To a hard-bitten home
Starving the children
Spreading disease
WHAT DOES HE WANT?
Answer: a bit of cheese. It’s a mouse or rat.

Phil,

The answer is “nothing.” My remark about Bj0rn was a weak joke. He started a thread about whether or not nothing is a element of something. It a long thread about nothing!

I guess I answered that way since cmetzb answered in a cryptic fashion. I was following suit.

Regarding those “yes or no” question puzzles, does anyone remember the “Albatross Soup” one?

A man walks into a restaurant and orders Albatross soup. The waiter brings it out to him, the man takes one bite, then pulls out a gun and kills himself. Why?

I heard this a long time ago and have never met anyone else who knows it.

Dirty Devil, I know that one. The answer (which I had to look up) is so esoteric it makes me wonder what the originator of that riddle was drinking/smoking/shooting up when he came up with it.

The Albatross Soup one I’ve heard, took a lot of yes/no questions to figure out. (Think “famous” albatrosses for the answer). I also heard the one that goes:
Entering a room you see the bodies of Romeo and Juliet lying on the floor with broken glass around them. There are no wounds on their body and they were not poisoned. Who killed them and how?"

You have a three-gallon drum and a five-gallon drum. Problem is, you need four gallons. You have an endless supply of water. How do you get four gallons?

I know the answer to this one, but only because someone told me. I’ve always been curious to watch someone actually work it out.
So, to everyone that doesn’t know the answer, here’s a hint:
Why would the taste of albatross soup make the guy want to die?

sly:

Fill the 3 gallon barrel. Pour into the five gallon barrel. Fill the 3 gallon barrel again and pour into the 5 gallon barrel until it’s full. Empty the 5 gallon barrel and pour in the 1 gallon remaining in the 3 gallon barrel. Fill the 3 gallon barrel one last time and pour into the 5 gallon barrel. Tada!

And I remember the albatross one too… I’m getting flashbacks to my logic classes in high school & college.