Help an Iron Maiden neophyte start building his library.

As far as Maiden goes, I’ve always been but a dabbler. But that seems to be changing after, lo, these many years, thanks to viewing a truncated version of the concert performance portion of the Flight 666 DVD the other weekend. Truly, now I can’t seem to get enough.

I’d hazard a guess that The Number of the Beast would be a good starting point, but where to go after? Could you help me separate the (Dickinson) wheat from the (Bayley) chaff?

And just to make this thread even more interesting, if you’d like, we could turn this into (with apologies to the A.V. Club) a sort of “Gateway to Geekery” concerning NWOBHM bands.

I’d say the first two (Iron Maiden and Killers) with Paul Di’Anno on vocals are essential. I lose interest after Piece of Mind, though Powerslave has a couple good ones. Just skip “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” completely.

this seems like a decent collection on 1 2-CD set

…and if you want a gateway to New Wave of British Heavy Metal - other than obvious progenitors like Black Sabbath and Zep, I would recommend starting with UFO’s live album, Strangers in the Night. Stands up very solidly today.

Piece of Mind is the best album, IMHO. Second may be Somewhere in Time.

Powerslave, Brave New World, Number of the Beast: Some songs are jewels, some…not. (My brother and I could never listen to Invaders without giggling).

First two albums are the best, but for a good introduction, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is very solid and accessible.

I would go with Live after Death next. Maiden always sounds better live. Get all of the albums from Iron Maiden through Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. All of the 80’s era albums have good stuff on them, even if there are a few clunker songs, but every album has a few of those.

(Bolding, of course, mine.)

Uh, sure. ::Backs away very slowly::

Thanks for the tip, though. :slight_smile:

Somewhere in Time was my introduction to Maiden, so it will always be my favorite. In fact, I was just listening to it in the car on the way to work this morning – with the windows down and sunroof open, of course. :slight_smile: I tend to have a soft spot for No Prayer for the Dying, too, because that was the first tour I saw them on (can’t wait to see them again in July!).

For a good “best of,” I recommend Ed Hunter.

Oh, and if you ever have any doubts about just how sick an individual Bruce Dickinson is, find a copy of his book The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace. :smiley:

I’ll second Live after Death- It’s the only Maiden album I’ve needed for my collection, as I enjoy them and it’s quite a good show in that one.

Live After Death is simply one of the best live albums of all time. The five album run from Number of the Beast through Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is the best period in Maiden’s illustrious history. And if you want a taste of the newer stuff mixed in, the Rock in Rio set is excellent (and won’t simply rehash all the same stuff from Live After Death).

I played in a Maiden cover band for 5 years. we played everything up until “No Prayer for the Dying”
After Number of the Beast, you have to go back to the first 2 albums with Di’anno. Unfortunately, the studio recordings on Piece of Mind and Powerslave are painfully slow but their true energy really comes out on Live After Death. Somewhere in time is a solid album and flows beautifully from song to song but is a little too overproduced, with synth guitars, sampling, etc…
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is an underrated concept album, again a little overproduced but there’s some great music in there.
No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark are a little different sounding after the departure of Adrian Smith and their return to a more raw sound, similar to their first two albums.
Sadly, I lost interest after this point, partly because the music was uninspired and the change in the band.
In the last 5 years or so, I have been “into” Maiden again, and I have tickets to see them in July as well.
As for other NWOBHM influential albums, you can’t go wrong with Judas Priest - British Steel, Motorhead - Motorhead, Saxon - Wheels of Steel, Def Leppard - High N Dry, even Black Sabbath (Dio years) - Mob Rules.

No love for No Prayer, eh? :frowning: :wink:

Fear of the Dark and Brave New World were the last albums I bought; I never really got into either of them.

Actually, I liked the album, we performed covers of Hooks in You, Holy Smoke, and Bring your Daughter. The other guitarist didn’t like that album, he was more into their Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son sound. We also tried to write original material but it inevitably all ended up sounding alot like Maiden.
I left soon after to join another more Pop metal/rock band, of course then came grunge, then I joined a punk/ska band.
These days, I play mostly acoustic guitar, but I dust off the electrics every once in a while to practice some chops.

I am sooooo confused. that track is a metal symphony, every time I hear it I can hear an orchestra playing.

Agreed.

In fact, watching their performance of this on the Flight 666 DVD is what inspired me to start exploring their output more closely than I ever have previously. No doubt, “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” is tits.

I like it too, but I may be prejudiced, having lost my virginity while listening to Live After Death. :smiley:

I was introduced to Maiden by a cousin who gave me a copy of “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.” Since then I have collected the whole catalog. I have to say Seventh Son is still my favorite. “Piece of Mind” would rank second to me. The Trooper is a hell of a song about the Battle of Balaclava, How Effing cool is that!!!

You’ll take my life but I’ll take yours too
You’ll fire your musket but I’ll run you through
So when you’re waiting for the next attack
You’d better stand there’s no turning back

YES!!!

I just got into Maiden recently too, I’ve been listening to them over Internet radio. They seem to get zero radio play here in the USA.

My thoughts on he song (scroll down to the middle) here.

I see. So, you’re a hipster music snob. Got it.

But shouldn’t you be over here right about now?

Oh, and nice attempt at pimping your blog. Too bad I won’t be giving it any more traffic.