Iron Maiden Fans: Questions

What is your favorite studio album?

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988) seems to be the consensus pick, which surprises me. I would have thought The Number of the Beast (1982) would have been it.

Who is your favorite lead singer?

• Paul Day ('75-'76)
  • Dennis Wilcock ('76-'77)
  • Paul Di’Anno ('78-'81)
  • ‘The Air Raid Siren’ (AKA Bruce Dickinson) ('81-'93- '99-Present)
  • Blaze Bayley ('94-'99)

What is your favorite song?

What is your favorite live album?

Thanks

Killers and Somewhere in Time have always been my favorite albums.

My favorite songs would be Alexander the Great, Wrathchild, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and Number of the Beast.

I always preferred Bruce as a singer as well…

The only live albums I have are Live After Death and a Real Live One. I prefer the former of course.

Powerslave Is my favorite complete disc. 7th Son is high on my list too…probably second.

Bruce by far.

I always liked “Two Minutes to Midnight” & “Still Life”. You can’t go wrong with a good “Hallowed Be Thy Name” every now & then either.

Live after DeathScream for me Long Beach!!!

• Powerslave*
  1. Bruce Dickinson

2. Flash of the Blade or Flight of Icarus

3. Live After Death

Favorite studio album would have to be Number of the Beast. Cliche, but true.

Favorite singer is Bruce by far.

Favorite song is a tough one. So many good ones to choose from, and depending on my mood, it could be one of several. I guess I’d have to say Hallowed Be Thy Name if for no other reason than the line “When you know that your time is close at hand / Maybe then you’ll begin to understand, / Life down here is just a strange illusion.”

2 Minutes to Midnight, Aces High, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Run to the Hills, Losfer Words, Flight of Icarus and 22 Acacia Avenue (plus more I’ve forgotten offhand) all deserve honorable mentions. Damn, picking a favorite is hard.

Best live album is Live After Death. Coolest cover art too; Eddie never looked so badass.

Ditto on the above for me (good post) :smiley: I would throw in Running free for an honorable mention.

1.) Powerslave

2.) Bruce

3.) Revelations
Running Free
Aces High
Wasted Years
Can I Play With Madness

4.) Live After Death

I’m not really a fan, but I was for a bit when I was 13/14. My favorite album then was probably Number of the Beast, but I have to say I was a big fan of the first two albums, which were slightly punkier, thanks in part to Paul Di’Anno’s voice. So I guess he’d be my favorite singer (though he’s obviously not technically as “good” as Bruce), and just to continue my odd-man out stance, I’ll pick “Drifter” as my favorite song - it rocks with almost no pretensions.

You must be a true Maidenfan to even know of these people. :cool: I’ve heard that Den Wilcock was a lousy singer but had great stage presence, whereas Paul Day was an ok singer but was about as exciting as a tree stump. Frankly, I’d KILL for a demo tape featuring either singer…

Oh, and my fav singer is Bruce…of course.

It’s a tossup between Powerslave and Somewhere in Time.

Can’t decide between “Where Eagles Dare”, “Hallowed Be Thy Name”, “2 Minutes to Midnight”, “Rime of the Ancient Mariner”, “Heaven Can Wait”, “Can I Play With Madness” and “Prodigal Son”.

Live After Death…is there any other??

[ol]
[li]Number of the Beast[/li][li]Dickinson[/li][li]Tossup between The Prisoner, Hallowed By Thy Name, and Still Life[/li][li]None[/li][/ol]

1. Piece of Mind, Killers

2. Dickinson

3. Be Quick or Be Dead, Ides of March, Die With Your Boots On

4. Live After Death

Some interesting picks. I’m surprised no one picked Rock In Rio (2002) as their favorite live album. The triumphant return of Bruce and Adrian. 250,000 fans. Awesome sound quality. And a killer set.

Yeah, I didn’t really think anybody would pick those guys. I just wanted to include the complete list of IM singers.

As far as I know, there are no demos or boots of Day or Wilcock floating around. The earliest boot out there is from '78, with Paul.

Powerslave, Piece of Mind

Dickinson without question.

Revelations, Two minutes to midnight.

Live after Death was almost worn flat I played it so much.

Here’s a song of the Piece of Mind album. It’s all about washing your car, actually it’s about ironing a pair of curtains. REVELATIONS this one…[cue guitars]

That’s pretty funny. Just after reading this, I fired up Iron Maiden Fan Radio and the first song that came on was Revelations! Ha!

Album:
7th son of a 7th son

Singer:
Bruce Dickinson - no comparison.

Song(s)
Tie: Phantom of the Opera, Only the good die young, Powerslave

Live album:
Maiden England

Piece of Mind, then Somewhere in Time

Bruce was the only lead singer as far as I’m concerned.

Revelations, always. A simply perfect song.

Live After Death.

Favorite album: Powerslave, but only by a slight margin over everything else before Adrian Smith left and they thoroughly and dramatically jumped the shark with No Prayer For The Dying.

I’m also a little surprised about Seventh Son of a Seventh Son being considered a “consensus” favorite, since that album pretty much recycled everything they had done previously. Then again, that was still a very good album that I would rank above everything they put out afterwards (including their very good recent albums after Bruce’s return).

Favorite lead singer: Bruce, of course.

Favorite song: “Rime of the Ancient Mariner”, if for no other reason than the fact that it lasts longer.

Favorite live album: Another vote for Live After Death

Maybe so, but with no “SCREAM FOR ME LONG BEACH!!!”, it’s just not the same. :wink: