Heroes 10/6/2008

Yes…that was weird. Does she freeze at that age?

Stupid is as Heroes does.

I don’t see why Mohinder got powers after injecting himself with MayaJuice. He already had the power of imbecility.

I’m honestly getting pretty sick of a show which seems to derive so much of its plot points from characters either too stupid or too hurried to actually stop and properly explain things to each other. We’re dealing with characters who can stop time but can’t take more than 10 seconds to do more than spit out some gobblygook that’s totally useless to anyone else.

Also Future Claire is rapidly becoming the singlemost annoying character on the show. If she’s supposed to be a badass, why is it that all she does is whine whine whine? Hayden Paniwhatever couldn’t do badass if her life depended on it.

Other than getting taller, how much change are you expecting between 10 and 14? I think it would have been more jarring to see someone who looks nothing like Molly. 20 years difference, sure, but in 4 years a person’s face just doesn’t change that much.

It’s unfortunate that the 4-year age difference happened during ages Molly should have been undergoing growth spurts, but I think they did the best they could under the circumstance. Plus Adair Tishler is 12, so having her play 2 years younger to 2 years older isn’t that much of a stretch.

Last ep, the kid playing Micah had to bend over and hug Tracy’s boobs so it wouldn’t be obvious he’s practically her height now. (If you’re going to have kids on a show, you need to keep show-time on pace with real time dammit!)

You’re taking what I said too literally. I was giving an example, they don’t have to write my exact suggestions. But I think they should remember that they gave these characters tons of powers and if someone is in so much danger, as Future Peter is, it would stand to reason that they would learn to use some of these powers for concealment and defense.
Re: Speedster being able to talk to Hiro when he slowed time. It still didn’t make much sense to me, she was stopped and appeared frozen in time just like the other people but then she is able to speed up further to interact with Hiro?

Yes, but your earlier complaints went far beyond merely using these powers for “concealment and defense.” You specifically complained about not having Peter generate a TK field, for example. (Oh, and regarding literal interpretations? No offense, but if that’s not what you meant, then perhaps it’s not what you should have said. As Lightray said, “You’re extrapolating what powerz can do based on your own wishes, and then condemning the show based on that.”)

If the writers want to give these guys limitations in either their powers or the skill with which they wield them, that’s fine. To use a mundane analogy, most adults in the USA can drive a car. That doesn’t make it a grievous error for TV writers to depict someone driving a car with only moderate skill, or even ineptly. These guys don’t have the benefit of a rigorous training program, after all, nor do we necessarily know how much effort it takes for them to control their abilities.

As an aside, I think that Hiro has displayed considerable skill in the use of his powers. So there’s at least one example that counters your claim.

Heck, superheroes are always idiots. Hiro can casually skip back and forth a few seconds or minutes at a time. You’d think if he ever gets in trouble, he just has to take short skips back repeatedly and suddenly there’s a dozen of him facing a particular threat.

And what’s the deal with Peter’s Stallone-esque lower lip? I keep expecting him to yell “ADRIAN!!”

I am thoroughly enjoying season 3. Yes, there is some sloppy writing and plot holes and so forth, but as one who grew up loving comics, I have a special ability to accept those things for the sake of drama without being bothered about the real-world problems with time travel and super speed. Sure, Peter has an ability for pretty much every situation he might find himself in, but does that mean that he knows instinctively what to do? It’s easy for viewers to say “why didn’t he just phase through the door?” but it’s kind of like watching Wheel of Fortune at home and cursing at the TV screen because someone’s unable to solve the puzzle. Easy to say when you’re not under pressure. Some people suspend disbelief even more than me, but this thread isn’t about religion.

My biggest complaint is how quickly and easily characters seem to switch allegiances and change character. There should be no way that Noah would agree to work with Sylar, especially after he knows that Sylar cut Claire Bear open and terrorized her. Unless Angela Petrelli really does have some power of mental manipulation at her disposal, Noah should have emptied that gun into Sylar as soon as he saw him.

This is what I said:

See the “like” usually means someone is giving an example as I was doing. I was not “extrapolating powers based on my own wishes and condemning the show”. I have repeatedly said that I like the show but I am tired of a few bad plot devices like characters forgetting they have certain powers.

As for Hiro, a couple other people here suggested that he could have gone back in time just a few minutes and either stopped himself from taking the formula out of the safe or stopped the girl from taking it once he had removed it. Which might have been a better use of his powers, especially once he learned her ability. His excuse of being afraid to mess with time really shouldn’t have much effect if he only goes back a few minutes. So no, I don’t think Hiro always uses his powers in the most logical manner.

But anyway, I’m done with these ridiculous arguments. I know what I said, you two apparently do not and have to keep picking at it. Hey! That guy over there said worse stuff about the show! Go get him!

I noticed Peter’s lip too. I was wondering what happened.

It’s difficult to appear badass when one is 3-foot tall in heels. The girl is a hobbit.

Unsurprising that he was chosen to play Stallone’s son in the latest Rocky movie, isn’t it.

Or better yet, why wasn’t the paper on which the formula was written destroyed rather than torn in two and the pieces kept separate?

Even if we grant that “like” distinction, there is simply no reason to insist that they should have better defenses or greater skills. I’ll grant that you weren’t necessarily insisting on a TK field, but the point remains… It is not sloppy writing to plot these characters as though they did not have any such capabilities.

Ultimately, you’re complaining that these heroes don’t have greater skill or more advanced use of their powers. That still amounts to unwarranted extrapolation of their abilities, even without demanding any specific change or enhancement.

Guessing from next week’s previews, it wasn’t destroyed because the Company has been using it this whole time, to give people powers.

For the same reason the virus in season 2 wasn’t destroyed, and why Sylar wasn’t killed every time they had an opportunity…to advance the story.

I really like this show and don’t really like to nitpick it, but am I the only one who found it almost impossible to belive that the Ice Lady was just NOW finding out about her ability?

Sure, but it’s happened to lots of the characters throughout the show. There’s no consistency to when people discover their powers.

Their powers are almost always triggered by becoming a reoccurring character on the show. Clearly, the camera is the actual source of the heroes.

What’s up with the Niki triplets anyway? There are three, but were the other two Niki and her alter ego, or have we yet to meet the third Niki?

IIRC, the third triplet was not named “Jessica”, which was (evil) ikiN, yes?

Also, are identical triplets even possible? I thought you could only get that by having three surviving identical quads…