He can only go backwards to the point he left when he jumped forward. It’s a common time travel story device that you can’t travel to a time period you already exist.
[/QUOTE]
Michael Swanwick did this in a short story – Scherzo Rex (or something like that). He interacted with his older self, and his son interacted with his younger self. It made my brain hurt. It’s hard enough to understand time travel and paradoxes when they follow the rules. Good story though.
[QUOTE=levdrakon]
Hey, I came up with Telepa-Cop. I like it. Why’s it awkward?
[/QUOTE]
For me, the emphasis for the word “telepathic” is on the first and third syllables. But you’d have to emphasize the last syllable for Cop. “Tele-Cop” would’ve worked just like “Robo-Cop” trips off the tongue. I end up pronouncing “Telepa-Cop” like “tilapia”. I like the mimic-nurse = murse idea.
[QUOTE=The Controvert]
For me, the emphasis for the word “telepathic” is on the first and third syllables. But you’d have to emphasize the last syllable for Cop. “Tele-Cop” would’ve worked just like “Robo-Cop” trips off the tongue. I end up pronouncing “Telepa-Cop” like “tilapia”. I like the mimic-nurse = murse idea.
[/QUOTE]
I pronounce it like “tilapia” too, because I base it on “telepathy,” not “telepathic.” It’s tel-EPA-thy, and tel-EPA-cop. Oh well.
[QUOTE=Tengu]
It’s easy to defeat any ‘deus ex machina’ aspect of Hiro’s power:
He can only go backwards to the point he left when he jumped forward. It’s a common time travel story device that you can’t travel to a time period you already exist.
[/QUOTE]
That works great for me. He can stop time and save the little girl in front of the bus, but he can’t jump back into that same frame of time and save the other little girl in front of a different bus across town, because there’s already one of him there (or then).
for the record - I would pay to subscribe to an actual 9th Wonder comic book series, if there was such a thing (and I don’t mean the 3 page ones on the fan site)
[QUOTE=Enderw24]
I think there’s speculation and then there’s speculation. The first one is believing that the cute girl in Suresh’s place is actually a bad guy. The second one is beliving that she’s Sylar and can shapeshift into a male’s body, transport herself to LA to attempt to kill the girl, and get back in time to clean out “her” apartment before anyone notices she’s missing as was hypothesized in this thread.
How about another one? The first is believing Sylar might not be killing people but merely absorbing their powers and the real bad guys are killing them/taking their brains. The second is speculating that Sylar is eating their brains and the explosion in NYC is not a nuclear bomb but is caused by Sylar eating Hiro’s brain causing a rift in space and time that projects outward across the landscape. Don’t believe me? Check out last week’s thread.
I know we’re dealing super heroes and fantasy here, but come on people. Occam’s Razor might be sharp, but you can still try grabbing hold of it from time to time.
[/QUOTE]
One way or the other I will guarantee you that cute little macaroni girl is up to some serious no good.
Whoever made the guess up thread that it’s actually stripper-tard Niki’s ex in hiding who’s the violent mirror doppelganger is correct, and the genius son knows he has this power.
[QUOTE=astro]
One way or the other I will guarantee you that cute little macaroni girl is up to some serious no good.
[/quote]
Prolly. I want to go on record as agreeing, even though it’s still possible she’s got romantic side-kick potential.
Or Nitzy (Niki & ditzy?) ain’t got no super powers. Dad & genius son are some sort of symbiote killing anyone who messes with mommy.
[QUOTE=levdrakon]
I pronounce it like “tilapia” too, because I base it on “telepathy,” not “telepathic.” It’s tel-EPA-thy, and tel-EPA-cop. Oh well.
That works great for me. He can stop time and save the little girl in front of the bus, but he can’t jump back into that same frame of time and save the other little girl in front of a different bus across town, because there’s already one of him there (or then).
[/QUOTE]
Problem with this is that he got back to teh office in Japan 2 days later – friend specifically asked him where he’d been the last 2 days… so he jumped forward 5 weeks, and back 4 5/7… meaning that htere was atleast 2 days he didnt exist at all.
or, that’s how he will eventually safegaurd himself… he jumps forward x, then back x-y, so that if he fracks it up, he still has the some days to use…
[QUOTE=simster]
Problem with this is that he got back to teh office in Japan 2 days later – friend specifically asked him where he’d been the last 2 days… so he jumped forward 5 weeks, and back 4 5/7… meaning that htere was atleast 2 days he didnt exist at all.
or, that’s how he will eventually safegaurd himself… he jumps forward x, then back x-y, so that if he fracks it up, he still has the some days to use…
[/QUOTE]
Well, the Earth rotates at around 1,000 mph, and it orbits the sun at around 67K mph. Never mind how fast the solar system orbits the galaxy, or the galaxy orbits the local group, or the local group orbits…
Let’s just say we’re lucky Hiro - playing with the powers he’s got - didn’t re-materialize in the Oort cloud.
Give him a break. Off by two days? Not bad for a newbie.
Oh, good, we have a new example for the stupidity which is American broadcasting rules: We can show a teenaged girl (heck, she could be a grown adult woman for this example and it still works) literally flayed alive with her guts & ribs in plain view, but we can’s show her breasts because that might scar our impressionable youth. This country needs an anema.
[QUOTE=Achren]
Whoever it was…threw the female FBI agent, get her to point her gun at her own head, healed or something after being shot and then vanished.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe Syler’s power is to absorb other people’s power by eating their brain, but how the HECK would you ever casually discover THAT power?
[QUOTE=col_10022]
Maybe Syler’s power is to absorb other people’s power by eating their brain, but how the HECK would you ever casually discover THAT power?
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Misnomer]
In addition to Archergal’s point about Hiro and Ando being able to read English, Hiro (whose name, I just realized, is pronounced “hero”) had just enough English to get around NY by himself the first time. I think that Japanese adults know a lot more English than American adults know of Japanese.
[/QUOTE]
My understanding, admittedly based mostly on the learn-Japanese podcast that I’ve been listening to, is that most or all Japanese students take several years of English. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that they speak it particularly well in a stressful situation.
Modern Japanese also borrows heavily from English in numerous contexts, especially scientific words and pop culture. Once you have the basic sentence structure down and figure out the funky way they pronounce those words, you can muddle through a lot of situations. (Amerika-gin desu = I am American.) I assume that the reverse is also true.
On an unrelated topic, is anyone else wondering whether or not the genius kid is actually a *super-*genius kid? If these powers are genetic and Niki is superpowered…
[QUOTE=Risha]
On an unrelated topic, is anyone else wondering whether or not the genius kid is actually a *super-*genius kid? If these powers are genetic and Niki is superpowered…
[/QUOTE]
Doubt it… pinhole cameras and ROM burners are just more recent versions of volcano models. They aren’t exactly like decoding DNA. I’ve be more impressed if he was a chess champ, could play a musical instrument, or is doing math in his head like Rainman. Making a pinhole camera just means he’s in a better school, and has access to a shoebox.