[QUOTE=AuntiePam]
I think someone asked above – are we sure she’s in a regular morgue? Also stated above, there’s no reason to flay her if she had a stick in her brain.
[/QUOTE]
My guess is that she’s not in a regular morgue. It wasn’t all that well-lit, and (I really need a friend with Tivo now) I didn’t notice any dictation equipment or anything. It really had that “underground lair” look to me.
If it were a normal autopsy, I think they would still weigh her organs and check for other signs of trauma and so forth. The stick looks like an obvious cause of death, but it could be a postmortem injury. But even if it’s not a normal autopsy, I would think that whoever’s conducting it would still want to find out as much as they could about Claire and her powers (“Eureka! Her pineal gland is four times the size of normal!”)
And as for leaving her open, probably they either didn’t know she’d wake up or didn’t care if she’d get upset. I don’t believe there were any indicators as to where and when this was happening, so Claire might be completely at the mercy of whoever’s conducting this autopsy.
It is kind of interesting that they didn’t open her skull, though, isn’t it?
Hell, I’m lucky if I can remember what day it is. You want me to remember who Niki or Billy or Sam are? I don’t even remember the cop’s name, or the nurse’s name. Mention the Flying Nurse and Telepacop, however, I know who you’re talking about.
[QUOTE=jaderabbit]
My guess is that she’s not in a regular morgue. It wasn’t all that well-lit, and (I really need a friend with Tivo now) I didn’t notice any dictation equipment or anything. It really had that “underground lair” look to me.
If it were a normal autopsy, I think they would still weigh her organs and check for other signs of trauma and so forth. The stick looks like an obvious cause of death, but it could be a postmortem injury. But even if it’s not a normal autopsy, I would think that whoever’s conducting it would still want to find out as much as they could about Claire and her powers (“Eureka! Her pineal gland is four times the size of normal!”)
And as for leaving her open, probably they either didn’t know she’d wake up or didn’t care if she’d get upset. I don’t believe there were any indicators as to where and when this was happening, so Claire might be completely at the mercy of whoever’s conducting this autopsy.
It is kind of interesting that they didn’t open her skull, though, isn’t it?
[/QUOTE]
Well, they could’ve also just taken a break… not like they expected her to get up and run off before they finished.
[QUOTE=Otto]
I don’t think she has a great deal of faith in her ability to take care of herself because she doesn’t know what those abilities are any more than we do at this point. From Niki’s perspective, she passes out and when she comes to time is missing and people are dead. That wouldn’t really inspire a lot of confidence in me.
[/QUOTE]
But she’s not missing or dead. I definitely got the feeling that she’s a little less scared of other people now, even if she might be a little more scared of herself.
Except that the garage is cleaned up and there are no bodies anymore?
Good points.
My bad for not being more specific: his spoken English was very broken, but he seemed to have no problem understanding English. So if Hiro had that much English, it doesn’t seem unreasonable to me that Ando would, too.
Given the power of Sylar’s telekenesis, it would seem Hiro would be the only one who could fight him successfully. Or possibly Peter if he can figure out how to mimic or steal the power.
[QUOTE=The Controvert]
I like “Thought Police” (that someone else came up with earlier). I agree that “Telepa-Cop” is awkward.
[/QUOTE]
Hey, I came up with Telepa-Cop. I like it. Why’s it awkward? I deliberately avoided psicop. I briefly considered Thought-Cop, but that doesn’t seem to really fit him. After having failed the detective exam three or four times, I don’t think TC’s known for thought, exactly.
Murse makes me cringe. It just sounds like it would be offensive to someone who actually is one. Flying Nurse is okay, but I think we can do better on that one.
Here’s my WAG as to why Niki went to Grandma’s house after burying dead goons. She found that skull’s head ring and realized it was hubby’s missing pals and that he must have killed them (baseless assumption IMO) and she wanted to confront his mom with the evidence to see if she would be angry enough at him to reveal his whereabouts. Didn’t work, but it seems pint size does know or has some idea at least.
I don’t know however why she’s heading back to Vegas.
Murse makes me cringe. It just sounds like it would be offensive to someone who actually is one. Flying Nurse is okay, but I think we can do better on that one.
[/QUOTE]
Well, Flying Nurse won’t really fit if his power is as speculated and he actually mimics other people’s powers. So “Murse” could fit for both Male-Nurse and Mimic-Nurse.
[QUOTE=running piglet cheese]
Here’s my WAG as to why Niki went to Grandma’s house after burying dead goons. She found that skull’s head ring and realized it was hubby’s missing pals and that he must have killed them (baseless assumption IMO) and she wanted to confront his mom with the evidence to see if she would be angry enough at him to reveal his whereabouts. Didn’t work, but it seems pint size does know or has some idea at least.
I don’t know however why she’s heading back to Vegas.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I don’t know why she’s sure that she recognizes that ring–it looks like pretty ordinary street-vendor fare to me–and why she’s sure it means DL killed somebody. My guess: Niki’s just not very bright.
As a friend said, “I like it that the kid’s a genius. It kind of makes up for the mom.”
[QUOTE=Misnomer]
But she’s not missing or dead. I definitely got the feeling that she’s a little less scared of other people now, even if she might be a little more scared of herself.
[/quote]
Is she going to count on the same thing happening again the next time a round of goons get aimed her direction? She doesn’t even know what’s going on exactly; all she knows is what the sound of two goons shredding is.
But here she is, back under the control of another of Linderman’s goons, this one a cop. Linderman has who knows how many goons on both sides of law enforcement. I can’t believe that that Niki would just go back to her house like nothing’s happened and wait for the next thug.
As far as Ando speaking English, he’s specifically established in chapter 2 as being Hiro’s “English-speaking friend” when the cop called him from the future dead prognostipainter’s apartment.
If he is a power vampire (implied by Captain Congress seemingly losing his powers after catching him) then I was sort of leaning toward “Draculoser” but that doesn’t quite work.
Whatever his powers are, the way his brother plays him, maybe we should just call him “Sucker.”
She did see the dead guy’s face so maybe she recognized him, and the ring confirmed it. But that’s a bit of a fanwank.
It’s easy to defeat any ‘deus ex machina’ aspect of Hiro’s power:
He can only go backwards to the point he left when he jumped forward. It’s a common time travel story device that you can’t travel to a time period you already exist.
[QUOTE=levdrakon]
Hey, I came up with Telepa-Cop. I like it. Why’s it awkward?
[/QUOTE]
For me, I don’t seem to read it with the right emphasis. I see it as TELepa instead of teLEPa so it takes me a second to figure it out. I am not exactly bright.
Too bad it isn’t the cheerleader, she’d be Claire-voyant.
[QUOTE=jsgoddess]
For me, I don’t seem to read it with the right emphasis. I see it as TELepa instead of teLEPa so it takes me a second to figure it out. I am not exactly bright.
Too bad it isn’t the cheerleader, she’d be Claire-voyant.
[/QUOTE]
Sometimes people call telepaths “teeps,” and the Thought Police idea has been floated. How about we compromise on TiPs? (No Erik Estrada allowed.)
[QUOTE=jsgoddess]
For me, I don’t seem to read it with the right emphasis. I see it as TELepa instead of teLEPa so it takes me a second to figure it out. I am not exactly bright.
Too bad it isn’t the cheerleader, she’d be Claire-voyant.
[/QUOTE]
It’s also too bad the cop isn’t the teleporter. Tele-Cop flows off the tongue well enough.