Heroes 10/9 - "One Giant Leap"

[QUOTE=Misnomer]
In addition to Archergal’s point about Hiro and Ando being able to read English, Hiro (whose name, I just realized, is pronounced “hero”) had just enough English to get around NY by himself the first time. I think that Japanese adults know a lot more English than American adults know of Japanese. :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn Hiro said something to Ando about needing him because he speaks English.

Driving cross-country wouldn’t be hard except they’re used to driving on the left.

When Hiro was first showing Ando his comic book, did anyone else hear Ando say something about photoshop? It was interesting because that wasn’t in the on-screen translation. It seemed like Ando was accusing him of photoshopping his own comic book, but for some reason the translation we got was more generic.

[QUOTE=anyrose]
You think Sylar is Eden? They may be connected somehow but not the same person. Or she could just be a neighbor who really wants to help. But she’s definitely not the actual killer.
And the guy in the bar who psychicop couldn’t read - that was Sylar, I’ll bet. And he couldn’t be read because he could block the reader.
[/QUOTE]

No, I don’t think ultimate evil, serial killer Sylar as a black guy would have been green lighted because of perceived racism fears. I’ll bet the black guy tuns out to be a good guy.

[QUOTE=astro]
I’ll bet the black guy tuns out to be a good guy.
[/QUOTE]

I bet you’re right. But if so, someone else knocked out Telepa-cop and this mysterious guy is going to have to have been there to save him.

What are his powers? How’d he blank out TC’s powers?

I didn’t see it as blanking out his powers - he seemed to be moving down the bar ‘listening’ to people, then he got to this guy, who was quiet. I saw it as this guy has shields. I’m still not sure about Telepa-cop fainting though.

[QUOTE=Baldwin]
Nobody’s eating brains. I’ll bet money on that.

I like the show, but really wish they hadn’t gone with the stupid “evolution” bullshit pseudoscience. And saying “well, it’s a comic book story” isn’t much of an excuse: the whole point seems to be to show realistic consequences of people developing comic book-style powers, in a world that looks pretty much like ours.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, I agree.

I’ve been wincing at their attempts to try to give explanations.

For instance, the flying (or power vampire) nurse is quoting from the “Activating evolution” book. It says something like “If genes can be responsible for obesity and blood pressure… couldn’t they be responsible for human flight?”

And I think that was supposed to be a gee-wow moment, or something. And maybe someone who just took his 8th hit off a bong could say “woah…dude.. that blew my mind”. But… most other people would say something along the lines of “No, that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. It’s more reasonable to think there’d be a gene to make you look like a giant taco and shit ice cream.”

Why are people referring to the character Peter Petrelli as “Murse”? Is there an alleged joke involved? A cute nickname? (Interesting that Peter Petrelli seems to be the only character with an alliterative name.)

As long as we’re doing nicknames, “Telepa-Cop” is pretty awkward. “Psycop” is taken. How about “Officer Kreskin”? We could do a parody of “Officer Krupke” from West Side Story.

We don’t know what happened between the cheerleader’s lastest fatal accident and her awakening on the table. Did the quarterback go for help? Did somebody else stumble across her body? Did the coroner rule on a cause of death? In most states, an autopsy is legally required in the case of a homicide. However, it didn’t look like a standard autopsy. (I wonder if they had intended for her to wake up with her ribcage already opened up, her beating heart exposed. Would have been awesome, but might have been a bit much for the network.)

How many cheerleading outfits does Claire have? She’s really hard on clothes.

I still think the show would be better with no “explanation” for the powers. (I have a hard time believing that there’s a combination of A, T, G and C nucleotides that will produce a normal-looking human with the ability to levitate. What could the mechanism possibly be?)

If I had to make a prediction about a tragic, heroic death, I’d say good ol’ Ando is heading for disaster. It’s hard out there for a sidekick.

Me:

No, nitwit, “Psicop” is taken.

Does “Murse” mean “male nurse”? Is that necessary?

[QUOTE=Misnomer]
My guess is that since the bodies and evidence are gone, there’s no longer a reason for her not to go back. The boss knows that the guys went to look for her, but she’s the only one who knows they’re dead. Plus, now she probably has more faith in her ability to take care of herself if the boss does come after her. So why give up a perfectly good house, Micah’s school and his friends, etc.? Plus, her car is still at that house.
[/quote]

I don’t think she has a great deal of faith in her ability to take care of herself because she doesn’t know what those abilities are any more than we do at this point. From Niki’s perspective, she passes out and when she comes to time is missing and people are dead. That wouldn’t really inspire a lot of confidence in me. Recall also that she decided to cut and run after waking up with the dead mobsters, so there’s no motivation for her to have changed that decision. Micah was already out of that school because of the bounced tuition checks and the car she’s driving now is much nicer than her other car and registered in her name. And we know that Linderman has additional goons and even owns at least one cop. No way should she be going back to that place so it’s either a mistake by the writers or she meant something else.

He really didn’t, though. His Engrish was mostly “go Yankees” and “bree-tuh-nee speahs” and the like. He doesn’t have enough English to make a cross-country trip without a translator.

[QUOTE=Baldwin]
As long as we’re doing nicknames, “Telepa-Cop” is pretty awkward.
[/quote]

Well, they can’t all be golden.

My WAG is that we’ll find out, if not next week then within a month or so, that Clare was being followed by someone (I’m hoping that it’s the worried-looking girl that was staring at her and the QB at the bonfire) who reports to someone nefarious, whether Dad or someone else, who collected the body.

[QUOTE=Baldwin]
*Me:*No, nitwit, “Psicop” is taken.

Does “Murse” mean “male nurse”? Is that necessary?
[/QUOTE]

Oh, ick. No, it’s not. Let’s call him the Flying Nurse.

Quick question:
Did anyone else notice when Mohinder was breaking into Sylar’s apartment and they got to the board:

On the people’s faces he had drawn not just the weird ‘S’ symbol, but that some people had what looked like a backwards ‘E’ with squiggly lines? I noticed because some people had these quiggly lines that were basically going across their faces.

Maybe it was just me though and maybe it was just larger weird ‘S’ symbols. :slight_smile:

I’d like them all to have side kicks like Hiro does with Ando! Maybe Claire’s will be the nerdy guy. And heck, maybe the flying nurse is a sidekick instead of a real hero - he’s got the heart but we haven’t seen any strong powers.

Other than that, my least favorite part (Claire’s chest wound) was my husbands favorite part. shivers

[QUOTE=garygnu]
How 'bout this?
[/QUOTE]

Awesome! :slight_smile:

I can’t believe they will kill Hiro off in November. He’s way too popular. Although I suppose since he can time travel, all the different parrallel universe Hiros would still be alive… :confused: or some such…

I think there’s speculation and then there’s speculation. The first one is believing that the cute girl in Suresh’s place is actually a bad guy. The second one is beliving that she’s Sylar and can shapeshift into a male’s body, transport herself to LA to attempt to kill the girl, and get back in time to clean out “her” apartment before anyone notices she’s missing as was hypothesized in this thread.

How about another one? The first is believing Sylar might not be killing people but merely absorbing their powers and the real bad guys are killing them/taking their brains. The second is speculating that Sylar is eating their brains and the explosion in NYC is not a nuclear bomb but is caused by Sylar eating Hiro’s brain causing a rift in space and time that projects outward across the landscape. Don’t believe me? Check out last week’s thread.

I know we’re dealing super heroes and fantasy here, but come on people. Occam’s Razor might be sharp, but you can still try grabbing hold of it from time to time.

[QUOTE=Baldwin]
As long as we’re doing nicknames, “Telepa-Cop” is pretty awkward. “Psycop” is taken. How about “Officer Kreskin”? We could do a parody of “Officer Krupke” from West Side Story.
… snip …
How many cheerleading outfits does Claire have? She’s really hard on clothes.
[/QUOTE]
I like “Thought Police” (that someone else came up with earlier). I agree that “Telepa-Cop” is awkward.

“Prognostipainter” and “Constiporter” are perfect. “Flying Murse” got a laugh out of me. I’m actually shouting out these nicknames while watching the show and laughing my silly head off.

Claire has as many outfits as Spiderman… in other words, enough to have a clean new outfit whenever the story deems necessary. Any good nickname ideas for her and Niki?

[QUOTE=The Controvert]
Claire has as many outfits as Spiderman… in other words, enough to have a clean new outfit whenever the story deems necessary. Any good nickname ideas for her and Niki?
[/QUOTE]

For Claire…I dunno, maybe Regeneration X? :stuck_out_tongue:

With her tendency to get hurt: Cheerbleeder!

I vote for Cheerbleeder!

you’re all a buncha sick puppies!

which is probably why I hang out here

I’ve got it! Captain Congressman!

[QUOTE=The Controvert]
I like “Thought Police” (that someone else came up with earlier). I agree that “Telepa-Cop” is awkward.

[/QUOTE]

PsiCop!