Holiday Commercials We Like

carol of the bells can be laid at the feet of the ukrainians. i like the carol, so i like any commercial that uses it.

there was that burger king one…

My favorite is the Corona beer commercial that shows only a night view of a beach with a single tall palm tree that is suddenly covered in lights. The only sounds are crickets and someone whistling “O Tannenbaum.”

Actually, I named that above as one of my favorites- the look on that little boy’s face as he’s having his meltdown “He’s gonna leave! He’s gonna leave! He’s gonna leave!” and Dad’s panicked “Oh shit! I gotta do something fast!” look are priceless.

Too bad one can’t unclick links.

Ia, ia, Sinterklaas f’taghn!

Geez, I can’t believe it but it looks like my favorite Christmas ad is now seven years old! That would be the Staples Sno-bot commercial.

“You can’t have her! I love her!”
"Weeping . . . weeping . . . "

When this came on, my friend Mike started dancing around the room, highstepping and shooting “pistol-fingers” at the floor to either side of his body, in time to the music. Now every time I see this ad I laugh my ass off.

I can not believe that I’m the only one that is a sucker for the Coca-Cola “Teach the World To Sing” Christmas commercial.

I can’t find it in a quick search on youtube but I always liked the Staples commercial with the gift-wrapped electric drill (plugged in), and gift-wrapped dog.

As one of the commercials before the Golden Compass, we saw a JC Penny commercial that was really good – a little girl with coke-bottle glasses is sketching something, then building something in her back yard under a tarp. She appears to be antagonistic toward an older, dorky boy, and recruits a couple of boys her age as guards/lackies. Eventually the entire neighborhood turns out to see the reveal of what is under the tarp (also behind the fence, to which barbed wire had been added, IIRC) – including mom & dad, and refreshments.

Turns out to be a rocket; she’s heading to the North Pole, apparently to meet Santa. We were all commenting about how good it was, and someone else kinda wailed out “But! We didn’t see if it took off!” Really cute commercial.

And we got surveyed after the movie – it was the only commercial I could remember thing one about, so I gave it high marks in the survey. And then, got a free movie pass. Score.

Publix has some wonderful feel-good commercials. Over the summer they had one with a little boy, about five years old, playing his first soccer game. His father is stressing out as his boy makes mistake after mistake and Mom smiles wisely as she sets up the picnic table with Publix food.

Anyway, there’s a break, the little boy has tried to score a goal and fell down. The whistle blows, the father runs out to check on his son.

The boy asks his father if he saw him, and his father says yes, and asks how he’s doing.

“I was AWESOME!” the little boy yells, as he runs off to mom.

For Christmas, there’s a young doctor who won’t be able to make it home for Christmas. They show him leaving the hospital, riding the bus by himself, and as he walks into his apartment building he calls his mom and asks her to tell everyone Happy Holidays. She says she will, and as he walks into his apartment his whole family is there, making Christmas dinner.

I get all schmoopy for Publix commercials.

This is my top pick. The girl in the commercial is probably about the same age as me. The damn thing’s a part of my childhood now.
-Lil

There’s one running here that it took me a few viewings to catch on, and I still don’t know what it is for. It starts with two people, a man and a woman, shown rushing separately to get somewhere fast. There are a lot of close up shots of their watches as they hurry to their appointment. The guy in the back says something about “today’s classic music.”

Then they are shown meeting people and hugging them, only the man is meeting another man and the woman another woman. The idea is you think they are meeting each other, but they are really meeting the other half of the (gay) couple.

I don’t know if it’s for music, watches, or some gay group. But it’s an incredible commercial.

Put me down as another fan of the old Norelco commercial, the Hershey Kisses bell choir and the Corona commercial. It ain’t really Xmas for me without those last 2.

Thought of another one I kinda like. It is for some kind of car. The guy buys a tree, straps it to the roof, and then drives home like hell, leaving a trail of needles behind him. When he gets ther, the tree is bare …
Kinda cute. No idea what brand car they’re pushing.

I listened to a debate between two friends on that one. I haven’t seen it, but one of my friends thought that the two were meeting their same-sex partner, and the other who’d seen it thought that they were meeting themself (through the miracle of sfx).

Neither one of 'em could figure out what the point was, nor what they were selling.

I love the music in this add. It’s a Dolce and Gabbana watch add.