HoosierDope 2002???

Here is tons of info about things to and places to see in South Bend, Indiana

Crap, that was supposed to say “things to do and places to see.”

Another Hoosier… but I probably won’t be able to join you.

May is race month, and anything around Indy will be busy and booked. This year the crowds should be back to the earlier levels due to some popular race teams that are returning. AskNott mentioned 200,000 extra people… I think the number is closer to 400,000.

I would recommend the weekend of June 14-16 which is Indy Jazz Fest. They just anounced the bands, and BB King, Aretha Franklin, Spyro Gyro, Pat Methaney, Bruce Hornsby and many others are included. $38 gets a pass to the whole weekend, and it is fine for all ages (you can’t get 15+ bands for $38 anywhere else I know). Indy may also get some Dopers from the other areas (i.e. Cincy, Louisville) a little easier than “da region.”

Just my 2 cents.

I’m up for an OKI- or Indy- Dope, but couldn’t make it all the way to Southbend anytime soon. I’ll be in Asia from May 24th until about June 15th, I think.

But in the end, just plan something, and if I can make it I will. There’s at least a couple people already in this thread that I’d love to meet.

I’m beginning to wonder if this wasn’t such a good idea. I certainly seem to have lousy timing. :rolleyes:

Okay, as of this moment, I am officially calling this off. I don’t think it is a good idea. I apologize for any confusion.

I’d like to point out that it took awhile for ChiDope to come together, MSK, and we had had to change the date, because what we had originally wanted fell upon Easter weekend.

And I totally forgot about the Indy 500, like a schmuck. I suggeted the date i did because that was what i’d had available so far.

I’d like to point out that it took awhile for ChiDope to come together, MSK, and we had had to change the date, because what we had originally wanted fell upon Easter weekend.

And I totally forgot about the Indy 500, like a schmuck. I suggestedthe date i did because that was what i’d had available so far.

Well, here the low-down:

[ul]
[li]poor timing, for those who desire to attend Indy 500, and therefore can’t make it to South Bend.[/li][li]sounds like some of the Dopers, would rather have an Indy-Dope, than a South Bend-Dope.[/li][li]financially speaking, me travelling is out of the question, even to Indianapolis, which is a 3.5 hour journey, one-way. (fuel, food, lodging)[/li][li]financially speaking, having a South Bend-Dope, is going to be pretty difficult.[/li][/ul]

I know I am not the only one here who is broke. We could always just do a BYOFAB (bring your own food and booze) thing, potluck style, and just hang out in a park, as aforementioned. (weather permitting)

Bottom line is, there won’t be half as much to do here in South Bend if anyone has financial issues (as I do) and if the weather goes to crap, well… that leaves only indoor activities which likely require $$$.

If no one has problems with any of the above, and still wants to give this a shot, I’m game.

Whatcha all think???

I rather like the idea of a PicnicDope.
We could always shoot pool for awhile.
I do not think that I fall into the broke category but have no doubt that my car issues MORE than make up for it.

June may not work for me as my sister’s wedding is being pushed up a bit. I am not a bridesmaid, FTR. Although I did want to let y’all know that i may not be around.

I live in Florida but I’m originally from Mishawaka! I fly up to visit my mom in July for her birthday and I’d come if it’s then. Maybe a summer date would work better for a lot of people. Don’t give up so easily.