House of the Dragon, an HBO prequel series to Game of Thrones

I’ll watch it for sure. And you?

My hopes aren’t high, but I’ll certainly give it a chance. I love the ASOIAF series too much to not at least give everything it puts out a try.

The lack of Benioff and Weiss definitely helps. And of course the story is complete (and there is a lot to flesh out, since it’s, until now, been told in short story format). It could be very good. I don’t know much about co-showrunner Ryan Condal (he did Colony, which I never saw), but the other co-showrunner being Michael Sapochnik is good.

It will be out August 21st

Good to know - thanks!

For more: House of the Dragon gets August 2022 premiere, new photos | EW.com

I really liked Blood and Fire (? Might be misremembering that title) that the series will be based on. Never could make it though A Song of Ice and Fire but burned through that book (and to humble brag, my copy is signed by the man himself).

As a GOT fan, I’m looking forward to it. If it’s in the same neighborhood quality wise as Thrones, I’ll happily watch.

IMDb has some images of the characters.

Official teaser trailer out:

I doubt i will get HBO just to watch – maybe if the reviews are good I’ll get the DVD set.
Brian

Thanks! Looking good…

I’m in!

I will probably give it a shot though I would have preferred a more immediate prequel focusing on Robert’s Rebellion.

That would’ve been cool, too, and we might’ve gotten to see Charles Dance again as Tywin!

I hope they can re-capture the magic of Game of Thrones. I don’t think there’s been as big a series since then.

Ramin Djawadi is doing the music.
That was one of the great parts of GOT.
Can hardly wait.

That’s one where everyone knows how it ends though. And it’s a bit too soon - everyone would likely just compare the younger versions of people in GoT with the GoT cast. They probably wanted to avoid that sort of nitpickery.

Yeah but bookreaders knew how the first few seasons went and they were the best of the show. I agree that casting would be tricky. Anyway I do hope they do the prequel eventually. The basic story of the revolt against the mad king is great and given the general disappointment against the late GOT seasons, it could easily surpass the original.

my 2 cents almost all the people who had tantrums over the last few GOT seasons will spend a lot of time saying how this is so much better. and resume bashing the 2 guys who did GOT

My predictions is that almost all the people who try and cause a fight in an empty room will continue to try and do so.

I have not seen any reviews from mainstream sites I assume they will be out later this week

Check it out. Among other things, GRRM throws the GOT showrunners under the bus, insists he means to finish the GOT novel(s), and says his ending of the books will be different.