How DO these characters get laid as often as they do?

How about Joey Tribbiani from Friends? He’s not attractive (well, his body is kinda okay, but not that mug), he’s a mental midget, and “How you doin’?” isn’t a line that would make me wanna sleep with anybody. Much like Jerry Seinfeld, he also inexplicably bagged the gorgeous Kristin Davis.

Which reminds me: pretty much everyone but Kristin Davis’s Charlotte on Sex & the City. No thanks.

Another overlooked notch on JD Dorien’s gunbelt is the bartender played by Chrystee Pharris.

I’d nominate the loser Ross Gellar from Friends, scoring with characters playerd by Jennifer Aniston, Aisha Tyler, et al, with no detectable personality.

Good one! His girlfriends are all drop dead gorgeous as well.

Joey, on the other hand, reminds me of a few friends of mine who also have rather long lists on conquests. I’ve never understood it, it’s just instinct for them and I sort of looked at Joey the same way.

I don’t know how you top either Kramer or George Costanza though.

Dan Fielding (John Larroquette) from Night Court. He’s not a terrible looking guy, but a hunk he ain’t, and his character had no money and no class.

Dorian is a bad example of this.

First of all, there aren’t that many George Clooneys or Brad Pitts out there. There are a lot more hot women than hot men (based purely on looks).

The excess hot women have to date someone. Plus looks are less important to women than to men, and Dorian isn’t spectacularly bad looking for a guy.

Some women find him attractive, plus he is a doctor and has a sense of humor some might like.

Most importantly, the women he dates haven’t been watching the show. They don’t know all the faults you mention, and they have bizarre personality issues of their own anyway.
Now, George on Seinfeld I agree with. He really has nothing to recommend him.

I didn’t forget her; I just didn’t feel like finding out her name and looking for a SFW picture of her. by Jennifer Aniston, Aisha Tyler, et al, with no detectable personality.
[/QUOTE]

How long would you have to spend in JD’s company to realize he was, ah, touched?

Now Jordan’s an exception; she never dated him, slept with him all but once, and is nuts. Elliot broke up with a much better catch for JD’s sake, but she’s as self-destructive as he is; in fact the best reason for them to stay together is to spare the rest of the thirtysomethings in their nameless city the trauma of dating either of them. But the others? Only possible because the whole show’s JD’s fantasy. :slight_smile:

Zapp Brannigan has gotten laid exactly twice in his life, which for him is an improbably high rate of romantic success.

Eh - Drew Carey’s character was unusual for a sitcom, though, insofar as he was actually a decent, fairly smart human being. His dating success might have been - hell, certainly was - unrealistic, but not as wildly so as JD’s.

I must take issue with this. Ross Gellar had a personality…a diseased, and increasingly twisted personality.

Seriously, over the course of the series, he crossed the lines from “annoying” to “eccentric” to, ultimately, “rotten brain.”

Nothing some [del]therapy[/del] medication and possibly invasive psychosurgery couldn’t correct, I’m sure. But it was, technically, character development, so I’ve got to give credit where due.

I’d argue that in later series, Joey was the only character on Friends who actually seemed vaguely like a human being, making him by far the least personally repulsive of the whole bunch (Ross being at the other end of the scale). So from a certain way of looking at it, he was literally the only person in the (Friends) world worth dating.

Are you sure that the reality you describe isn’t just occurring in Tommy Westphall’s imagination?

Stranger

Not to nitpick, but JD never actually slept with Heather Graham or Keri Russell. He sure did try, but failed to reach home plate.

I agree. Joey was just a dumb good natured Guido from Brooklyn who liked to sleep around a lot. It’s actually kind of a NYC archtype.

I don’t recall Ross and Chandler getting laid all that much. I recall Ross getting married a lot.

Don’t forget with these NYC shows, NYC is a very different place to be single than most of the rest of the world. You can pretty much find single women everywhere all the time.

I don’t disagree with anything you said about him… but being relatively good-looking is pretty much all it takes to get laid on a nightly basis if you’re so inclined when you’re out clubbing as much as Brian was, no? I’ve certainly seen less attractive guys do it.

I’d say the more unrealistic thing there was that Pittsburgh was magically inhabited by ten million extremely attractive gay men who all went to the same club every night.

Dorian is truly despicable. It’s a wonder more of his patients don’t die horrible deaths.His sense of humor is his only redeeming characteristic.

Blonde doctor has the advantage of being a hell of a lot smarter than JD, and good looking.

George is at least honest with himself. He knows he is a bum and a liar.

Including snu-snu?

The fact that I get laid in real life pretty much wipes out any lingering disbelief I might have about TV characters landing anyone. If I can star in a hot threesome whenever the mood strikes me, the road is pretty much open for any troglodyte/hottie combination.

Death by snu-snu!

I’ve read Joss Whedon talk about Xander’s girlfriends in BTVS. He basically said that in reality this would never happen, but girlfriends make the story a lot more interesting.