How do you pronounce "{:Df"

Or is this an emoticon that I’m not familiar with? (which is quite possible)

I always pronounce it, “@^!+%ƒ.” The ampersand is silent.

“Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I’m worried about the difference between wrong and fun.”
~P.J. O’Rourke~

I kind of thought it was one of those vomotious (root word vomit) smiley face things. If you look at it on its side, you can see the hair, the eyes, the gaping mouth and the drool (or maybe bowtie).

Formerly unknown as “Melanie”

Ha! I can see the toupee!

It does have a slight resemblance to a barbershop quartet guy.

But how do you pronounce it?

You don’t. :wink:

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge…others just gargle.

I think it’s pronounced “Guy Smiley.” Or, if it’s a Prince-like thing, “the Artist formerly known as Guy Smiley.”

Just my WAG.

The “f” is the hand under the chin, fingers down and wiggling, thing.

Isn’t it?

>^,^<
KITTEN
Fluff yer hair Beula, I’s feelin frisky - M.S.

Oh, the “high sign” from “The Little Rascals.”

Hey, you left my nose out!
“Emoticon” has too many syllables, so I don’t know what that means, but the consultant I hired to design my personal smiley-face told me this was perfect for me. Among its features:

• a pointy head
  • a drunken, foolish grin
  • my initials

The last time (okay, the only time) someone asked me how to pronounce it, I responded “friend,” but I guess that didn’t fly. (Unfortunately, the context included my previous identity, so I fooled no one.) UncleBeer’s suggestion is next best EXCEPT THERE IS NO AMPERSAND in what he wrote. (Or was that by purpose (as opposed to ‘on accident’)?)

Does it make me feel special to have a thread about me? Yep. “Special” - that says it all.

So, what I right? Is that your hand and fingers under your chin?

>^,^<
KITTEN
Fluff yer hair Beula, I’s feelin frisky - M.S.

I always pronounced it “hrkkblgbdmmdf”.

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

Diane: It is now! And I’ll always say that’s what I meant, too.

df

Whenever possible, deny the mundane explanation.

“Bob.”
– Sylence

I don’t have an evil side. Just a really, really apathetic one.

Well, I was gonna go with “Nyarlathotep”, but you had to go and explain it…

“Bodie, I noticed you stopped stuttering.”
“I’ve been giving myself shock treatments.”
“Up the voltage.”
-Real Genius

It rhymes with a Bronx cheer.

I always thought it was Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern -schplenden -schlitter -crasscrenbon -fried -digger -dingle -dangle -dongle -dungle -burstein -von -knacker - thrasher -apple -banger -horowitz -ticolensic -grander -knotty -spelltinkle -grandlich -grumblemeyer -spelterwasser - kurstlich -himbleeisen -bahnwagen -gutenabend -bitte -ein -nürnburger -bratwustle -gerspurten -mitz -weimache - auuber -hundsfut -gumberaber -shönendanker-kalbsfleisch -mittler -aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

“People must think it must be fun to be a super genius,
But they don’t realize how hard it is
to put up with all the idiots in the world.”
– Calvin and Hobbes
(__)
/

Flypsyde: And you believed that propaganda? And changed your mind?

Imthecowgodmoo: “spelltinkle?” But you can see why I abbreviated it. How the HELL did you find out?

Well, I was lurking the Straightdope the other day, and I was like “hey, is that Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern -schplenden -schlitter -crasscrenbon -fried -digger -dingle -dangle -dongle -dungle -burstein -von -knacker - thrasher -apple -banger -horowitz -ticolensic -grander -knotty -spelltinkle -grandlich -grumblemeyer -spelterwasser - kurstlich -himbleeisen -bahnwagen -gutenabend -bitte -ein -nürnburger -bratwustle -gerspurten -mitz -weimache - auuber -hundsfut -gumberaber -shönendanker-kalbsfleisch -mittler -aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.”?

and my friend was like “yeah, that’s Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern -schplenden -schlitter -crasscrenbon -fried -digger -dingle -dangle -dongle -dungle -burstein -von -knacker - thrasher -apple -banger -horowitz -ticolensic -grander -knotty -spelltinkle -grandlich -grumblemeyer -spelterwasser - kurstlich -himbleeisen -bahnwagen -gutenabend -bitte -ein -nürnburger -bratwustle -gerspurten -mitz -weimache - auuber -hundsfut -gumberaber -shönendanker-kalbsfleisch -mittler -aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.”

then I was like “Oh… I heard he changed his name from Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern -schplenden -schlitter -crasscrenbon -fried -digger -dingle -dangle -dongle -dungle -burstein -von -knacker - thrasher -apple -banger -horowitz -ticolensic -grander -knotty -spelltinkle -grandlich -grumblemeyer -spelterwasser - kurstlich -himbleeisen -bahnwagen -gutenabend -bitte -ein -nürnburger -bratwustle -gerspurten -mitz -weimache - auuber -hundsfut -gumberaber -shönendanker-kalbsfleisch -mittler -aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm to {:-Df”

Then he was like “Yeah, with a name like Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern -schplenden -schlitter -crasscrenbon -fried -digger -dingle -dangle -dongle -dungle -burstein -von -knacker - thrasher -apple -banger -horowitz -ticolensic -grander -knotty -spelltinkle -grandlich -grumblemeyer -spelterwasser - kurstlich -himbleeisen -bahnwagen -gutenabend -bitte -ein -nürnburger -bratwustle -gerspurten -mitz -weimache - auuber -hundsfut -gumberaber -shönendanker-kalbsfleisch -mittler -aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm I’d change my name too.”

(the name really came from a great Monty Python Skit)

“People must think it must be fun to be a super genuis,
But they don’t realize how hard it is
to put up with all the idiots in the world.”
– Calvin and Hobbes
(__)
/

My first cent: “gry”
My second cent: “yak felcher”
Yes?

JMcC, San Francisco, JJM’s page from the Bay
If I were a baseball player, and I got beaned by a fastball, I wouldn’t want medical attention. I’d want my limp, lifeless body flung to 1st, cause, dammit, I earned it!