I assume you’ve heard the allegations that Seth McFarland might have stolen Stewie Griffin from Chris Ware’s *Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth * .
Maybe he thought he could get away with that, but when does someone call him on ripping off *The Simpsons * in such a flagrant way. It is in no way parody; rather, it is pure theft. Don’t get me wrong, I find *Family Guy * funny, Brian and Stewie are good characters, Chris, Cleveland and Quagmire have some great moments, but the show has nothing on seasons 4 through 8 of The Simpsons. I realize that in the history of sit-coms (which is really what these shows are derivatives of) such “borrowing” is par for the course. I am sure there are probably only a handful of core plots out there that subsequent generations riff on. Nonetheless, I find both the temporal proximity of *The Simpons * and Family Guy and the flagrancy of the theft worth noting, compiling, perhaps even condemning.
So here goes:
Peter = Homer, too easy
Lots of similarities between Lois and Marge (hypersexual pretty women in love with whales)
Size of the family unit (including pets), almost the same (no Snowball 2 equivalent in Pawtucket)
Cleveland/Quagmire = Lenny/Carl
Evening news program used for exposition
Poking at Adam West’s insanity (In The Simpsons, it’s done in “Mr. Plow,” Family Guy in almost every episode).
They both have a company softball episode with a “ringer” (I am sure this is in a lot of sit-coms, I am running dry)
This isn’t a long list, but several of these are peculiar to these two shows ONLY. What are some more?