How I Met Your Mother - Season Premiere

The producers have said meeting the mother is the last thing that’ll happen on the show. So one, two episodes tops for the actress who plays her.

Is this definitely the final season? I hadn’t heard that before.

Actors’ contracts are up this season and the creators have gone in assuming it will be but if the contracts are renewed, creators said they have a plan B to extend one more season. I have read that Jason Segel in particular is ready to move on and I don’t think they will do the show if any one person leaves so this will probably be the last season.

I remember when this show hung on by a thread…

The producers don’t know if this or next are the last season. Most people thought this would be the final season but the last two years have had an upswing in viewership so they are going to milk it for every last drop. There is an interview with the main writer (and producer?) who say we have the arcs planned for both this year and next and can easily adjust between the two.

I was one of the big promoters of the daughter being the mother from the earlier thread, but I do agree that Natalie Portman could be a good fit too. My other front runner is Maggie Gyllenhaal who would have the right appearance and the high caliber star to pull it off. But now Amy Adams is a possibility with her connection to Jason Segel.

The whole cast except for the Moseby guy are in demand, so the chances of resigning all of them are pretty slim. They could do a spin-off called Ted that lasts less than half a season. I think successful actresses will shy away from this role. This is a role for a an ‘up and coming’ actress, if you know what I mean.

Agreed. That’s kind of how I saw it too. If there wasn’t anything between them, Barney would have mentioned it at some point, right?

The Adventures of Ted and the Mother… I think I’d watch that. They even have an out with the rest of the cast in that Ted previously mentioned that Robin travels the world at some point and Marshall and Lily are in baby mode, so they wouldn’t hang out with Ted (who will live in his Westchester house) as often.

They could just call it Joey II.

I have also seen speculation that they can still have Ted meet the mother at the end of this season but have next season be a series of stories that took place between prior episodes. A little anti climatic but it could work

The format of the show would make that easy. They have all the existing footage, aired and unaired, and with all the quick cuts, flashbacks and flashforwards they could piece together new episodes with only a little bit of new material. The cast could return for short stints to create new footage. There won’t really be a hook, but they could still bring decent numbers that way. They could pair it up with a new series that needs a lead in to attract an audience. They could also make a clip show about each character entirely from existing footage. I guess as long as it attracts an audience they could milk it for ever.

For all this speculation about who will play the future Mrs. Mosby, I won’t be the least bit surprised if we never even see her face. The show has never been about the Mother at all, but rather the “How I Met” part.

Picture a final shot of Ted looking up and seeing who he *finally *knows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is the love of his life. “And that, kids, is How I Met Your Mother.” Fade out.

It could work!

Three’s A Crowd 3!

I’ve heard that they actually have known how they’d end this shaggy dog story from the beginning and shot footage to that effect. My guess is the real ending involves a new scene with the kids who have basically been stock footage since season two.

This would be fine for me.

Remember the end of LOST? or more importantly, the weeks after the end of LOST where the producers kept saying “it’s not about the mysteries, it’s about the characters.” And people (including me) were a little bit pissed at that saying because to them (us) it was very much about the mysteries, too.

I feel the exact opposite with this show - here, it isn’t about the mystery of the mother, it hasn’t been for years. It’s all about the characters. And the producers keep throwing in little hints and clues and gotcha-yas about the Mother even though those have long since ceased to be interesting and are instead really annoying.

What about Elizabeth Banks?

Either that or put David Henrie in drag.

Too old. They need someone who is clearly younger than Radnor as the mother is implied to be.

Two “will they or won’t they” relationships that are already doomed by narration?

To quote Dylan Moran: “I cannot begin to describe to you how much I DON’T care.”

Barney’s 52-second narration was the only worthwhile thing of the entire episode.

Speaking of LOST, they totally stole the Barney plot summary idea from Hurley.

Was a mediocre premiere. The Barney summary might have been the only bit that made me smile.